What's the Next U2 Evolution

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My take on a few things!

Evolution 4: Classic Songwriting and Long Album Titles
All That You Can't Leave Behind
How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
???? (New Album in 4 Years)

-> I think this stage is a mix between 80's and 90's U2 sound. Vertigo has the energey and 'guitary' nature of Boy etc., but the effects on the guitar and they rhythm section sounds 90s to me. Adam's bassline especially is VERY 90s U2 i think.

All because of you has enegry of early records but Edge's Lead guitar is very AB, Even better than the real thing!

Crumbs sounds like walk on/electrical storm mixed with joshua tree.

Miracle drug sound like Beautiful Day mixed with Joshua tree.

Thats why they sound familiar but fresh, they aren't really new sounds (except A man and a Women, & Love and Peace, these are cool little experiments!) They are mixes of familiar sounds to creat a new sound.

It's like:
Country + R&B = rock and roll.
80's U2 + 90's U2(ATYCLB 1999) = HTDAAB
->Very new, yet familiar sound. And some experiments to boot! L&P and AMAAW are really cool new sounds and standout tracks on the album.

I guess thats why i find the new album as a semi-new sound, while others may be only hear 1/2 the story! Others being critics who say U2 is back in the 80's, i think the albu sounds more 90s actually apart from COBL, Yahweh, & SYCMIOYO, whcich are also amazing songs.

Next experiment? More of a tribal drums and raw guitar sound with a bit of spanish experimentation ala AMAAW???

Crap that was long, sorry!!! lol:huh:

Um...technically, evolution is evolving from one thing to another. But before the first era, there was no U2...so the first evolution you speak of can't really be considered an evolution. It's simply the primitive U2. And we're on evolution three right now.

namkcuR said:
Um...technically, evolution is evolving from one thing to another. But before the first era, there was no U2...so the first evolution you speak of can't really be considered an evolution. It's simply the primitive U2. And we're on evolution three right now.
Ok smartass :wink: before the first evolution they were just kids who didn't make music (or at least record music). So you might say that the first evolution was rising up out of not making music to recording post-punk rebel music. We're still on evolution 4. So there!

Besides, all that evolution 1, 2, 3, etc. just means stage 1, stage 2, stage 3 etc. Use your own vocabulary.

Maybe you would prefere Dream 1, Dream 2, Dream 3 etc. due to the fact that after the Rattle and Hum era Bono said they had to go away and "Dream it all up again". So maybe you'd like Dream-it-all-up 1, Dream-it-all-up 2 etc. We're at Dream-it-all-up 4: namkcuR is a smartass :wink:

rjhbonovox said:
I hope they don't make another album if its like the last 2. They can only repeat the 80's stuff so many times.

I agree. I loved ATYCLB and really dislike HTDAAB and even when I loved ATYCLB I thought that staying in that vein too long was a mistake. Even now they're having to repeat things. Vertigo is basically Elevation 2.

I think U2 is going to rip it up a bit more with the next album. I can just see Larry one day saying to Bono and Edge one day during a session "Fuck if it sounds like U2 or not it's better that way." and viola we have the next stage.

Another vote for Passengers 2. I disagree with those of you who suggest U2 retire. Look at Bruce Springsteen - Better than he ever was in his early 50's... I do think Bono should cut his hair and become a bit more humble and statesman like though. He needs to let the 'Best band in the world' title fall at his feet, not grab at it greedily...

I also disagree with the people who say the last 2 albums sound like the 80's albums - only in your minds - they really sound nothing alike at all. I'd like to hear some examples of how these albums are supposed repeats and not just vague references to a guitar echo. They really have a TOTALLY different sound, feel, purpose, and are nothing alike.

I think when people say it like 80s U2 they are refering to Edge's guitar sound. The hardcore among U2's fan base knows better.

You know, it's interesting. I was thinking the songs on HTDAAB are short are and I went back to the Joshua Tree and was amazed how short those songs aren't longer. They feel longer. In God's Country is only 2:56. The album feels so much longer.

It's my opinion that ATYCLB and HTDAAB are good albums. HTDAAB maybe even great. Great is still a ways off from Joshua Tree's perfect and Achtung Baby's nearly, nearly, nearly perfect. My hope is that the next album will have more adventure, more danger on it, like their masterpieces do.

Kerborus said:
I do think Bono should cut his hair and become a bit more humble and statesman like though. He needs to let the 'Best band in the world' title fall at his feet
I'm getting tired of the of the "best band in the world" phrase. It's beginning to sound less and less authentic.

adam3000 said:
I think when people say it like 80s U2 they are refering to Edge's guitar sound. The hardcore among U2's fan base knows better.

You know, it's interesting. I was thinking the songs on HTDAAB are short are and I went back to the Joshua Tree and was amazed how short those songs aren't longer. They feel longer. In God's Country is only 2:56. The album feels so much longer.

It's my opinion that ATYCLB and HTDAAB are good albums. HTDAAB maybe even great. Great is still a ways off from Joshua Tree's perfect and Achtung Baby's nearly, nearly, nearly perfect. My hope is that the next album will have more adventure, more danger on it, like their masterpieces do.

Well, the band is at a big disadvantage not having Bono able to sing like he sang back during the JT. Let's be honest, do you think With or Without You would be the song it is with Bono's current voice?? No. How about Pride? No. What makes Achtung Baby so good is that it is somewhat experimental but also has hits. I've said it before, and i'll say it again, Pop and Zooropa needed some hits to be masterpieces. Now the band is hell bent on putting hits on records. ATYCLB is a great record. HTDAAB is even better. But they aren't going to put out a masterpiece without doing something more arty that also has hits. Probably the most difficult thing to do, but that's what it's going to take. Not to stray too far off topic, but look at the hip hop act Outkast. They constantly change what they do, but always still put out fresh new songs that no one has heard before AND are hits.

I think the band would do what Larry said on VH-1 Legends. They'll end up recording and touring less. Maybe it they'll get to the point where they'll quietly put out an album now and then, record some songs for soundtracks, and maybe the band would do music projects. I could also see each member doing side projects, such as Bono doing more collaborations, Larry and Adam doing something like that Mission Impossible song. I think all this would happen once they don't feel the need to compete anymore to be the world's biggest band

But they will call it a day. As they get older, they'll get - for lack of a better word - tired. I mean, look at Tina Turner, she retired. The Rolling Stones did say their last tour was their last one because they think they're too old for touring. It would be sad to see U2 retire, but I can't see them doing what they're doing now when they're 60 years old.

But they better not retire anytime soon!

If they tour less. I can deal with that. I would like them to still make albums. But I think we have a while before they quite touring. The Rolling Stones only recently stopped touring and look how old they are. Hey, Bob Dylan still tours. And he's ancient! Lol

I think U2 will continue along with the style of Fast Cars, maybe more world music-inspired albums. THey've already conquered the world three times over so I think they will feel confortable to let their imaginations run free and experiment a little more, and what have you. Let the Edge be an animal if he wants and let the riffs fly. Let Adam and Larry do what ever they feel imspired to do and get a good producer (or group of producers if necessary) to bring together all the loose ends.

I was listening to the krock intervew and bono mentioned this is the ultimate "sing-a-long album" when matt pinfield joke about Bono doing a kareoke when they played songs from the album. I wonder what Unforgetable Fire U2 or Joshua Tree U2 would think of HTDAAB U2 creating the "ultimate sing-a-long" album?

U2 needs the hits, but they also need exploration. All in the same album.

adam3000 said:

I agree with you. I still think they are going to follow through with the classic songwriting for at least one more album. Just to recap here are some of the genres of music U2 has covered:

Reggae - Don't Take Your Guns to Town
American Folk - Jesus Christ
Irish Folk - Vandiemen's Land
Post Punk - Boy through War
Irish Drinking Songs - Larry On Tour
Dance/Rave - the 90s

Anyone care to add to this?

country- "love rescue me", "she's a mystery to me"
jazz- million dollar hotel (select tunes)
world music- "fast cars"
electronica- "mofo"

I think they should just pull a Beatles, stop touring and just travel, hang with family, and record record record.

LiveFire said:

I agree. I loved ATYCLB and really dislike HTDAAB and even when I loved ATYCLB I thought that staying in that vein too long was a mistake. Even now they're having to repeat things. Vertigo is basically Elevation 2.

I think U2 is going to rip it up a bit more with the next album. I can just see Larry one day saying to Bono and Edge one day during a session "Fuck if it sounds like U2 or not it's better that way." and viola we have the next stage.

Yeah, I'm finding that a worrying amount of the new album is very similar to ATYCLB.

adam3000 said:
What would you classify this current era as?

U2 classic songwriting? U2 the secular angelic chorus? U2 the band at home with themselves? I don't have a handle on it yet.
[/B]

It's old, wise, and rich U2. With everything at their disposal, and with no pressure on them. There doesn't seem to be anything standing in their way to overcome, so in a way it's relaxed U2...

Back
Top Bottom