What's the most obscure U2 song you heard on the radio?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
Usually they play singles or the big hits right?

I heard Love rescue me two or three weeks ago, and this morning I heard Dancing barefoot. Same station, too.

:hmm: I haven't heard any non-single songs on the radio that I can remember...so I would say SBS...I heard it on the radio once and I was really surprised because it seems like I always hear NYD and not SBS.

Everlasting Love. They played it on the Rhode Island rock station when U2 was in Boston in 2001.
ANYTHING other than the typical Joshua Tree hits, One, Beautiful Day, and Sunday Bloody Sunday are "rare" around here...I almost died when I heard Who's Gonna Ride...the other day.

One time my station played Where the Streets Have No Name, the live version from Rotterdam (from the Popheart EP)...

They often play old live stuff... I sometimes hear Gloria or I Will Follow from Under a Blood Red Sky...

Not really any b-sides of sorts... but, any radio station that still plays stuff from PoP is good in my books...

The most obscure in terms of U2's catalog was probably Dancing Barefoot. But late last year, this radio station was changing management or something so it there was no real programming for awhile. They'd just pick an artist or a genre and play that all day, without commercials. One day, they did it with U2. So I heard a lot of songs then I'd never heard on the radio before: Red Hill Mining Town, Hawkmoon, Van Deimen's Land, Heartland, Mother's of the Disappeared, Exit, Love is Blindess, Acrobat and whole slew of others. That was highly enjoyable. :)

Red Hill Mining Town
Trip Through Your Wires
Bad - (not exactly obscure, but it was never released as a single)
Pride - (live version from Rattle and Hum - for some reason our local radio station never plays the UF version).

KMTT (The Mountain - classic, contemporary folk rock format) in Seattle will play One Tree Hill, Bad (WAIA version), A funky When Love Comes to Town remix, the Desire Hollywood remix, The Ground Beneath Her Feet, The Unforgettable Fire, In Gods Country, and others on a pretty regular basis.

Good radio station.

I don't consider RHMT and IGC to be that rare because I have a station that plays them probably every week or two. They are a very pro-U2 station, maybe others don't play them as much.

I think the most really obscure song as far as radio play goes was "Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around the World." I heard it on a lonely road just as we crossed the South Dakota/Wyoming state line. There were no towns for miles. Hardly any radio stations would come in. One had real Native American tribal drum music. Then all of a sudden here's this rock station but no DJs talked much. Then TTTYAATW came on. It was really an odd thing to happen but cool. Like, where in the world did that come from?

Last edited:
For some reason in the coffee shop downstairs from my work, the only U2 song I ever hear in there is When Love Comes to Town

I've heard New Years Day US remix from the 12 inch single quite often here in the Boston area of the US, also many other of the more rare songs and versions of songs, live versions, etc. Gotta love Boston rock stations. Especially the ones that have DJ's that are huge fans of U2. It seems to me that they will usually be the ones that play the more obscure or "non-single" songs.

:(.

None of the stations in my area play that obscure of U2 songs.

Probably the one that surprised me the most was when I heard "I Will Follow" on the classic rock station here in my area, 'cause I never heard that song on that station before, and I've heard it twice on there recently.

And then they played "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" on a light rock station, which never played U2 in any of the times I remember listening to that station, again, I've heard that song twice on there (I just heard it again the other day as I was on the bus coming home from school).

No, those songs aren't obscure, especially the second one, but it's just the fact that I'd never heard those songs on those stations before, and then I just recently started hearing them on there.

But all the stations in the area, they just play the big hits and that's it.

Lucky for those of you who hear those obscure U2 songs on your stations.

Angela

Last edited:
Believe it or not, while I was on vacation a couple of years ago in Colorado in a little ski town, I heard Boomerang I & II on the radio while in a ski-shop. I wasn't sure at first whether it was just a fan playing the singles, or a radio station, but the DJ came on afterward so it was pretty clear it was a station. I'd consider these two songs pretty darn rare for a radio-station.

Other than that, I've heard the rotterdam Please/WTSHNM combo on KISS in San Antonio, and parts of Elevation Tour live (The Fly) in Washington D.C.

My radio station started playing IALW very often... which I though was weird because it was never released as a single, right?

A few months ago they had some sort of U2 musical chronology thing and they played Discotheque. I'd NEVER heard that one on the radio, I think that single didn't make it all the way to Puerto Rico.

"Peace On Earth" after Sept. 11th was the only non-single U2 song I've ever heard on the radio.

I also heard the single mix of "Pride" on the radio just a week or so ago, which was kind of neat since I've only heard the album version played before.

Last edited:
flaming june said:
My radio station started playing IALW very often... which I though was weird because it was never released as a single, right?

Ooh, I hear that on the radio on occasion too. In fact, that's where I very first heard that song-not on the album, but on the radio.

So I guess that counts as the most obscure U2 song I've ever heard.

Angela

IALW & Peace on Earth & New York- heard them all after 9/11. Any song on that album could have been played after 9/11. Good, comforting stuff.
I heard Angel of Harlem on the radio last night! It was the last half of a St. Patrick's Day block on the Boston station that comes in in my area- yeah Mix 98.5! I've never heard that one on the radio!

One day they had song requests on the radio and this guy called and asked to play Numb. You could tell that the DJ was a bit hesitant, but the guy said, "oh come on!", so I did get to hear the song played. Other than that, probably Everlasting Love.

Schmeg said:
I heard Angel of Harlem on the radio last night! It was the last half of a St. Patrick's Day block on the Boston station that comes in in my area- yeah Mix 98.5! I've never heard that one on the radio!

They play that song regularly on the classic rock station here in my area.

I first heard that song on the radio, too-my immediate reaction-"Man, this song rocks!" :).

Angela

Z-92 here in Omaha used to play: I Threw A Brick, Rejoice, I Fall Down, Wire, A Sort Of Homecoming(both UF & WAIA versions), Unforgettable Fire, Bad(UF & WAIA versions), Spanish Eyes, One Tree Hill, In God's Country, Trip Through Your Wires, God Pt.II and Everlasting Love on a regular basis.

I heard a JT-era live version of Bad...with Ruby Tuesday and Sympathy For The Devil at the end. I'm pretty sure it wasn't the Rattle and Hum version, either. That was about 10 years ago. I've also heard Last Night On Earth right after Pop came out(the single version)

One of our local stations actually played the Sarajevo '97 version of Pride once. It was pretty cool, but a strange choice since Bono's voice was shot that night.

Back
Top Bottom