Whats the Deal with Zooropa?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theedge111

Refugee
Im sure its been asked in the past but i'm fairly new to the site so here goes... Why did the put that annoying sound at the end of the Zooropa CD? :eyebrow:

It's some sort of radio sound that is made internally at radio stations when there is a period of dead air on live radio...someone else can explain it better than me...

Emergency Broadcast Signal? Because it's not that.

It sounds to me like an alarm -- particularly the P.O.S. car alarms on the P.O.S. cars that no one would steal anyway that go off at random points at night under my window in Brooklyn, waking the bejeesus out of me.

[end of rant]

From u2faqs.com (I knew I'd find it sooner or later!)...

"11. What's that annoying sound at the end of my copy of Zooropa?

If you leave Zooropa playing for about one minute after "The Wanderer", you will hear an alarm going off. This is the same alarm which warns radio DJ's when there is a 10 second air silence. Some editions of Zooropa don't have the DJ alarm at the end -- the Brazillian pressing, for example."

Last edited:
That's interesting about the dj alarm. It's still an annoying sound, though. :|

I think I'm the only person who actually likes that sound. It suits Zooropa.

I once fell asleep during listening Zooropa and woke up to that sound. :huh:
But it actually fits the feeling of the album.

kitten84 said:
I once fell asleep during listening Zooropa and woke up to that sound. :huh:
But it actually fits the feeling of the album.

Really. My roommate and I would often fall asleep to the album in college, only to be rudely awakened! :mad:

its such a strange and perfect combination with 'the wanderer' to end the album. first time i heard 'the wanderer' i couldnt believe how crazy and post-apocalyptic the song was. the imagery thats conveyed in wanderer always makes me think of a city blown to bits as a man walks through it searching for himself, oblivious to the destruction around him (and that was before i heard the siren). the alarm resonates as it would through the city- thats how i hear it. im also an artist so that might explain my rambling :wink: I almost shit my pants over how cool that was the first time i heard it...or maybe i was scared by it...either way its not zooropa if i dont listen to it at the end of the album.

Last edited:
brownda7 said:
Has anybody else gone to sleep playing zooropa then woken with a fright due to that noise!

LOL, thats exactly what happened to me, thats why i needed to know what the deal was! :lol:

Now i listen to Zooropa w/ a clean part of underwear by my side if i plan on falling asleep:wink:

Back
Top Bottom