What's the deal with 'People get ready'?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs.Clayton

Refugee
I was listening to the Las Vegas show, and a little question popped up in my head...
How come, when people would be pulled up on stage to play with the band, they would play 'People Get Ready'? I know this happened a few times, and I know these people had signs.
But what's the deal with that song? Is it not played often? Why do so many guitar players want to play that song with the band?
Thanks

because even I could play that song
(well, maybe not when I've got 30,000 people looking at me)

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

So then it's mainly because it's easy? Why haven't I heard it anywhere else? Where can I hear a recording of it?

Well, it may have something to do with the fact that back in the old days the band had a tendency to pull fans up onstage to play that with them. So nowadays fans who know this fact figure that by requesting to do this, they have a good chance of being picked since precedence is on their side.

The first time that this song was played, Bono wanted to do the song, and he asked Edge if he knew the chords. Edge said "No" so Bono asked if anyone in the audience did. Someone did so he came up on stage. He played the song with them. After that, people started making signs saying that they knew how to play it, because they wanted to have the chance to get on stage with the boys. Eventually it became a regular thing.

My opinion is that they did this on the 3rd leg to give male fans a chance to get on stage, as opposed to Bono always dancing with the girlies.

Originally posted by spinninghead77:
My opinion is that they did this on the 3rd leg to give male fans a chance to get on stage, as opposed to Bono always dancing with the girlies.

That bit I kinda doubt. Intentionally deciding "we need to pull up male fans"??? Dontcha think that's reading into their actions just a tad? lol. Besides, not all guitar players are men.
biggrin.gif

33339%3A4323232%7Ffp7%3Enu%3D3234%3E532%3E496%3EWSNRCG%3D3232374%3B%3B853%3Anu0mrj

sula! That pic is awesome! Edge looks like a dad trying to coach his daughter...awwww!
smile.gif
Oh man, what I would give to be in her position!! Thanks for posting!

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
That bit I kinda doubt. Intentionally deciding "we need to pull up male fans"??? Dontcha think that's reading into their actions just a tad? lol. Besides, not all guitar players are men.
biggrin.gif

Yep, here's another one from LA with Courtney playing People Get Ready with the boys...
Bono%26Courtney.jpg

Yep, it's kinda been a U2 thing for years, I have a boot from Oakland '87 (I was there too!) where they pull up a fan that plays it, well, atleast trys to play it!

biggrin.gif

33339%3A4323232%7Ffp7%3Enu%3D3234%3E532%3E496%3EWSNRCG%3D3232374%3B%3B853%3Anu0mrj
They aren't all men, but half, if not most of them are. When they are just pulling up girls to dance with the guys get no chance!!!

Anyway, that was just my Humble Opinion!!

They aren't all men, but half, if not most of them are. When they are just pulling up girls to dance with the guys get no chance!!!
Anyway, that was just my Humble Opinion!!

I'm sorry...I'm not trying to knock ya.
smile.gif
I guess I just think that the band has better things to do with their time than sit around and think up ways to give "equal opportunity" to their fans. Most of that stuff just happens somewhat "spur of the moment" depending on what Bono feels like doing on a particular evening. If I recall correctly, they first started pulling fans up to play on this tour because people HAD SIGNS and were begging for it. Anyways, regardless...I think it's a great thing and adds a nice touch to the shows. I'm glad they resurrected the practice.
smile.gif

biggrin.gif

[/QUOTE

Wow this show brings back a lot of good memories.

Yeah I have a Jan 10th 1990 bootleg and during People Get Ready Bono announces the guy who comes up to play with them as "Bob Dylan" and for a while I believe it was him then I realized Bono was joking. He only said that because the guy that came up to play, could actually play guitar.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Originally posted by Gina Marie:
Yes-he covered it-w/ Jeff Beck, I think.

But it's originally by Curtis Mayfield.

...when he was with The Impressions in the 60's. You people are making me feel ancient (which, of course, I am.

I'm waiting for Bono to show that he's man enough to dance with men. My gay male friend wanted to slow dance with Bono (well, actually, he wanted to slow dance with Larry).

People Get Ready is by the Isley Brothers think. Rod might have done it, so many have covered it. Its a great song about salvation, and as long as have been going to U2 shows (early 80s) they have been doing it, but I want 40 back. oh I c up there, Curtis Mayfield. Its been around a long time for sure.

[This message has been edited by U2live (edited 01-11-2002).]

The Chicago version kicks arse!

When Bono goes mad over ppl pushing each other around...

That one sends shivers down my spine!

Was he angry for real?

------------------
Zooming in
Zooming out
Nothing I can't do without
A lens to see it all up close
Magnifying what no one knows
Never in company
Never alone
No car alarm
No cellular phone
- Adam Clayton / Passengers

***Sparky's Whore***

If I Didn't Have My Spoons, I'd Go Insane!

Let's try this one more time. "People Get Ready" was released circa 1965 by the Impressions, Curtis Mayfield's band.

Back
Top Bottom