What's the big deal with Creed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by doctorwho:
Just a quick correction on the chart/sales numbers there.

Creed's "Weathered" has been #1 on the Billboard chart for 4 consecutive weeks. Billboard creates their chart based on SoundScan sales. Sales for this past week were over 550,000 copies, which was enough for the #1 position. There are weeks when that total is not enough.

The SoundScan numbers come from the actual number of times an album is scanned at a register. In the early days, SoundScan would rely on the businesses that used scanners and estimate for the rest of the country. These days, just about every store relies on a scanner, so the numbers are very accurate. In other words, these are the actual number of copies sold to consumers in a given week.

That "4x Platinum" indication you see next to the album indicates how many copies where bought by stores - NOT by customers. Stores across the U.S. bought 4 million copies of the album. Creed's label paid the RIAA to audit them and confirm sales of 4 million copies. At this point, the album can then get certification for 4x Platinum. The number of copies sold to stores (also referred to as "shipped to stores) does NOT have to equal the number of copies bought by actual consumers.

Overall, I would say that consumers have bought about 2.5 million copies of "Weathered" in the past 4 weeks. Stores have an extra 1.5 million copies in anticipation of future sales.

doctorwho, thanks for the clarification - I believe what you wrote was exactly what I was attempting to say, although not as focused as your response.
smile.gif
Thanks again!

Look at the music industry today. If you HAD to choose between Britney and Creed, what would you choose? That's one of the main reasons for Creed's success. There are no good mainstream alternatives.

This is exactly why Creed is doing so well. There are really no bands out there that are sticking to heavy distortion. A lot of artists are turing there music into hip-hop. Look at No Doubt, and Amanda Marshall, and a bunch more artists. No Doubt was orignally ska/punk. But after hearing that crap single on the radio, i was very shocked to find out that it in fact was No Doubt. I'm not saying hip-hop is bad. Its just Creed is finding success in a music genre that is not being focused on by mainstream artists. That's my .02

------------------
"Yep...Silver and Gold!!!" - Bono

We'll Shine Like Stars In The Summer Nights...

Back
Top Bottom