Whats the best U2 song to deal with heart break?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dabiggestu2fan

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I dont know why I am writing this or if it is in the right area. Just wondering what the best song is to deal with mild depression/brocken heart? Just wondering cos two months ago the girl I've been living with for the last 2 years and has been my girlfriend for the last 7 years has decided to meet some guy who owns a big company and is loaded with a wholelot of cash. Two months on and still hurts like hell. Well has anyone here found any U2 song that uplifted you when you were down?

Thanks,
Nico

I would try ATYCLB (BD, Stuck, Walk On- these are really uplifting)

And my advice- DO NOT listen to Achtung Baby! (especially to Love is Blindness or So Cruel)

We all been there pal. Take it from me. ..I know how you feel. Went thro very similar thing few yrs back except had kids aswell. Might sound a cliche but time is a great healer. This may sound a bit deep but I have learned no matter how much feeling you got for someone, it counts for nothing if he/she dont feel the same.
Anyhoo, what you wanna do is listen to something kick ass and uplifting and not sad and in anway loosely connected wi love and just keep yer chin up.

Well, when I'm thinking about it, off Achtung Baby Zoo Station is a good exception- you know, you enter a new phase of life, everything can happen now, you're ready for what's next!

:ohmy: and there i was about to mention So cruel Carek! Oops :reject: oh well :wink:

I still think Ultraviolet is perfect from AB. :wink:

Zoo Station has nothing to do with anything. :lol:

^ Why? Zoo Station is a "fuck the past, kiss the future" type of song, something went wrong, but so what? Everything is yet ahead of you! It's like you are born again, you are ready for a new life and you are happy because of that!

Thanks gals and guys :) You are all so nice and awsome to take the time to reccomend the songs :) All are really good songs I didnt think about walk on but the message is there. I need to walk on and "dream it all up again". I like alot of the songs on AB (its my fav album) but i cant listen to ONE or so cruel or love is blindnes right now :-( I love those songs but just hurts lots. One bad thing though is that U2 reminds me alot of my X :-( when U2 came to vancouver it was deff better times. I was in the video shooting for COBL and my ex and I waited like 6 hours the next day and had a good time at the concert. My ex grew to love U2 cos I love them so much and we had many good times while listening to U2. I guess I shouldnt think of those things and Walk on. Zoostation is nice too. I like it simply because it was the first song from AB and it does signify change. I mean imagine when you picked up the album for the first time on the first day of release and heard zoostation. It was a totaly different sound then anything U2 did before. So its a change, like the change i am going through now i guess.

Thanks everyone for all your great ideas :) I think i will make a playlist of all the songs you reccomended on my ipod :)

Nico

walk on
with or without you
stuck in a moment
kite
Ultraviolet
Arcobat

these all work wonders

phillyfan26 said:

Hands down the best.

"I know it aches, your heart it breaks, you can only take so much, walk on"

it's the perfect break-up song.

Then again I got into Achtung Baby after my failed relationship, and that made things feel worse, lol.

Zooropean103 said:
^ Why? Zoo Station is a "fuck the past, kiss the future" type of song, something went wrong, but so what? Everything is yet ahead of you! It's like you are born again, you are ready for a new life and you are happy because of that!

:hmm: Interesting take on the song. Never thought of the track that way (well, I did, but never in a relationship sense.)

I was about to say walk on, but then i noticed it had already been mentioned about 8 times! Stuck in a moment then!

partygirlvox said:
I was about to say walk on, but then i noticed it had already been mentioned about 8 times! Stuck in a moment then!

Stuck In A Moment acoustic is absolutely gorgeous.
sigh.gif

My advice would be Beautiful Day.

Really uplifting song. Also Walk On and Stuck in a moment.

Strangely all from ATYCLB. :wink:

I'm sorry guys but I'm gonna disagree. I think the guy should actually listen to all these "heart-breaking" songs in order to get it off his chest and to deal with it (the fact that she left and the depression). That's what I did after my last break up. I made a pile of CDs with all the songs relevant to our relationship, took a bottle of Gin and presed play.
It sure wasn't easy but the next morning when I woke up (apart from hang over :wink: ) I felt a lot better about the ex-girlfriend leaving me.

Only then was I able to listen to Walk On, Ultraviolet, etc.

P.S. Be careful with "Who's gonna ride your wild horses", that was a difficult one for me.

vivaSA said:
I'm sorry guys but I'm gonna disagree. I think the guy should actually listen to all these "heart-breaking" songs in order to get it off his chest and to deal with it (the fact that she left and the depression). That's what I did after my last break up. I made a pile of CDs with all the songs relevant to our relationship, took a bottle of Gin and presed play.
It sure wasn't easy but the next morning when I woke up (apart from hang over :wink: ) I felt a lot better about the ex-girlfriend leaving me.

P.S. Be careful with "Who's gonna ride your wild horses", that was a difficult one for me.

If you go that route...

Red Hill Mining Town
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
So Cruel
Kite

This is going to sound really weird but I would say Bad or Running To Stand Still. Love is like a drug and it's important to break the addict in the face of heartbreak. One could interpret the lyrics, "I'm wide awake," as being able to break free of one's love for another person.
That's just what I think.

And it's probably best someone heartbroken avoid the Joshua Tree B-Sides.

vivaSA said:

I agree, the fall of 91 a relationship with a girl I thought I loved ended, more her idea than mine really. The song that hit me the best in that regard when Achtung came out was So Cruel. Its heartbreaking yet has an element of "the other party is screwed up, not just me" flavor to it. :shrug:

dabiggestu2fan said:
I think as "so cruel" as what my ex did. I see it as the other person not being faitfull and "not loving the people that love them" type of thing. So cruel is just what my ex is.

On the topic of betrayl, I suppose you could say UTEOTW would be a song a heartbroken person might listen to. Actually, most of Actung Baby could fit this thread.

Screwtape2 said:

Actually, most of Actung Baby could fit this thread.

It definitely has an extra punch when something bad/sad happens to you. Very cathartic. In the right moment, it can ultimately to a :sad: into a :drool:

One

Like Bono has said...not exactly a love song.

-----

Did I ask too much
More than a lot
You gave me nothing
Now it's all I got
We're one
But we're not the same
Well we
Hurt each other
Then we do it again
You say
Love is a temple