What's Goin On?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BEVERLY56

Refugee
I haven't seen any discussion on any threads about this great remake by Bono and Chris Martin. I absolutely love it! How do you feel about it, and does anyone know if this was performed at Live 8? They sound so good together, their voices play off each other wonderfully.

i lost my Whats Going On cd :(

i still have my New Day cd though :hyper:

Here is the official website for Artists Against AIDS Worldwide:

http://www.aaaw.org/music/index.html

Enjoy the music and the video (especially Bono's solo performance of "What's Goin' On") and then make sure and do something positive to help.

Thanks for the interest in this wonderful project. :up:

They did ANOTHER cover of What's Goin' On? Sheesh, find a new song.

I like the sentiment behind the song and the reason they're singing it, but Marvin Gaye's should not be messed with. The live versions of it during Elevation were kind of dull, and the only good thing about the all-star remake (other than the cause) was Bono and his blindfolds.

corianderstem said:
They did ANOTHER cover of What's Goin' On? Sheesh, find a new song.

I like the sentiment behind the song and the reason they're singing it, but Marvin Gaye's should not be messed with. The live versions of it during Elevation were kind of dull, and the only good thing about the all-star remake (other than the cause) was Bono and his blindfolds.

they released a cd with a few different versions, so its not really ANOTHER one, its an old one

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...104-6680451-2959928?v=glance&s=music&n=507846

fred durst mix :rockon:

Last edited:
I wonder how many people here have the Bono/Martin version of the song, and not the original Marvin Gaye recording?:|

MrBrau1 said:
I wonder how many people here have the Bono/Martin version of the song, and not the original Marvin Gaye recording?:|

Marvin Gaye covered this song?! :ohmy:

Do I really need to put in another smiley?

Bono and Chris Martin ... The London Version :tsk:

Bono and Fred Durst ... The Reality Check Mix :bow:

Bono and Jermaine Dupri ... The Original Mix :applaud:

Marvin Gaye's Original ... :drool: :drool:

corianderstem said:
I'm happy to report I only have the Marvin Gaye recording.

I second this post.

Bono and Chris Martin trying to be Martin Gaye? No thanks gentlemen.

First, it was Marvin Gaye, not Martin Gaye. (we can all make typos).

Second, I grew up in the 1960s and besides the Beatles the ONLY music I listened to was R & B - Curtis Mayfield, Aretha Franklin, Steve Wonder, Smokey Robinson and the Miracles and, of course, Marvin.

So I was very excited to know that Marvin's music, that was being overshadowed as the years went on by more current music (hip hop) was being reprised by Bono and others in an attempt to raise awareness regarding the AIDS crisis in Africa back in 2001.

"What's Goin On" was the perfect song to bring back and Marvin's daughter, Nona, gave her approval to the project.

While some of the performances are a bit strained, the overall effort was an act of Love by those who produced the CD, so why should there be any need to criticize it?

Bono is a soul singer and, as one who remembered the original record's release in 1970, I was brought to tears when I heard Bono's solo rendition of the song (London mix).

Soul music has little to do with your color and more to do with your heart - and Bono's Heart was all the way into this project and song.

It was an act of Love and what's wrong with that? ;)

it should never have been played at elevation tour concerts....kind of a waste of a song. nice sentiment, but snippet it next time, which is essentially what they did by tours end.

MsMofoGone said:
Bono and Chris Martin ... The London Version :tsk:

Bono and Fred Durst ... The Reality Check Mix :bow:

Bono and Jermaine Dupri ... The Original Mix :applaud:

Marvin Gaye's Original ... :drool: :drool:

Apart from your last statement, I hope that you were being ironical, right? I mean, the drivel that Fred Durst made of 'his' mix is absolutely disgusting. :yuck:
In contrast, the Bono/Chris Martin/Edge/Eno mix is very good (although not near the original, but no other version is).

Jamila said:
Here is the official website for Artists Against AIDS Worldwide:

http://www.aaaw.org/music/index.html

Enjoy the music and the video (especially Bono's solo performance of "What's Goin' On") and then make sure and do something positive to help.

Thanks for the interest in this wonderful project. :up:

Thank you so much Jamila!!!:hug:

While some of the performances are a bit strained, the overall effort was an act of Love by those who produced the CD, so why should there be any need to criticize it?

Because, in my opinion, it was a really sub-par remake. Their hearts were in the right place, and the cause was a good one, so yay for them, but ... :shrug:

I applaud the sentiment, but dislike the remake. No big whoop.

Back
Top Bottom