What's 1 song (if any) that's better in the studio than live?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One
Stay
With or without You
Do you feel loved
if you wear that velvet dress
ultraviolet.....

just some off the top of my head :wink:

Wow, that's a couple votes for With or Without You...which I think is stellar live. I do think it's weaker post-ZooTV, but the earlier live versions are fantastic IMO. For me now it's turned into little more than a prop, and an excuse for the B-man to pull a girl up. Fine for the girl of course :) but for the rest of us the song suffers.

WOWY from 1987 to 1992 is fantastic: in the top 10 things U2 has ever done.

WOWY from 1993 and on is meh.

Songs that are better on studio than live?

Even Better Than The Real Thing
A Sort Of Homecoming
Miracle Drug
All Because Of You
Stay
If God Will Send His Angels
Until The End Of The World (Sorry!...)
Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of (not the acoustic version)
Mysterious Ways (Sorry again)

Rob33 said:

What?!?! The crowd carries this song many times throughout the tour...and it is stripped down at certain points too!!!! I think you should look at some pride video from the vertigo tour :wink:

but yeah regarding the lighters, I agree....U2's lightshow is incredible, but that would be an awesome change for Pride........While on the subject, the walk on performance in 2002 at the grammys, I really like the atmosphere created during the "Oooohhhhhhh, all that you fashion..." part..something along those lines might be effective too..

Although several parts of Pride get really stripped down normally, especially on the Vertigo tour but nowhere near as much as SBS from Popmart- that cannot be denied. I would love to hear the crowds singing background vocals to the verses, not just 'oh ohhohh oh' It would be something completely unexpected and its those moments that can truly resurrect and add new meaning to the songs. SBS almost became a eulogy of sorts at Popmart, and Pride has always been that to the memory of MLK Jr. I think it would take the song to new places.

If you have a chance, go back and take a listen to SBS Popmart. I just listened to it for the first time in probably a year and it almost feels like a completely new song. Maybe it's largely due to Edge singing on it but Pride could use that kind of treatment.

Like a Song(only played once, and they immediately knew it wouldn't work...)

One(except of Zoo TV, those performances from the begin of tour with improvisations are :drool: :drool: )

Desire
Angel of Harlem

Axver said:

ASOH: I think it's hard to compare as the versions are so different. I love both, for different reasons. By the smallest of margins, I'd favour the live version overall, but the studio version does some features just as well if not better.

Wire: This was even more scintillating live. The versions with the Gimme Some Truth snippet in particular slay the studio version.

which are your favourite versions of these two ?

Salome said:

Lemon (though fun live, nowhere near as good as the album vesion)

I second that, although I really love the "MIDNIIIIIIIGHT MIDNIIIIIIIIIIIGHT"-part in the live version

Back
Top Bottom