Whatever happened to pete the chop?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

An Cat Gav

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Can't remember where I heard about this, but I guess it may have been in the Eamonn Dunphy biography, The Unforgettable fire.
As I'm sure you are aware, whatever happened to Pete the chop is the sub-title of treasue, the b-side of new years day.
Apparently, Pete The chop was a song that the band had recorded but didn't know what to do with. It was a very poppy, commercial record, totally opposite to the musical groove U2 were in at the time. This was the time of New Romantics and a whole load of other crap and the last thing the band wanted to do was release such a commercial pop record, they didn't want to "sell-out" or whatever..
However, although they were a big cult band they still hadn't broken through to the mainstream and if their next album hadn't been a success they could have been dropped by Island records. So, the story goes, they kept this song, pete The Chop for an emergency. if disaster struck, they would release it and hope to have a hit record, i think the general consensus was that it would have been a big hit. However they thankfully never needed to resort to the ace of their sleeves as War became their 1st Uk no 1 album. Afterwards people were always asking them, whatever happened to pete the chop? hence the songs name.
So the point of my post is this, has anybody ever heard this song? Pete The Chop, not Treasure:)

Yeah it was a live standard in the early days, it sounds quite different to their other songs of that era, but imo it's not that great and I don't see how it could have been a hit single.. but then again, Steve Lillywhite might have worked his magic on it like he did with the other demos that appeared on Boy (except Shadows And Tall Trees :( )

holy shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this song is great, bono sounds like he does when he sings those lounge songs. this is fuckin great! so much energy!

whichever song is available on that site is the shit. im thinking treasure nad ptc are the same song? i dunno but its on my ipod now. is there a better quality download somewhere?

t8thgr8 said:
holy shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this song is great, bono sounds like he does when he sings those lounge songs. this is fuckin great! so much energy!

Yeah same here i LOVE that song, wish i was around during the times they played it live.

Back
Top Bottom