Whatever happened to "Gloria"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jon Seidman

The Fly
When was it last played live? Was it 87? It was an early regular and then it just died. I could do without hearing Pride again in exchange for a revival of Gloria.

Moreso on the earlier shows of the tour, you could probably find a few performances on Youtube.

pretty sure they played it on Elevation leg 3 as well.

No, they didn't. They did play some other 'oldies' though (Out Of Control, 11 O'Clock Tick Tock). Gloria only resurfaced again on the Vertigo Tour.

BTW, the most recent performance of Gloria is 14 December 2005 (in St. Louis)

Gloria is a great song... it was very nice to hear them play it on the Vertigo Tour.

I've never been sold on this song. Everyone reckons it's one of the greats, I don't hear it. Fire, Brick Throw, Rejoice, Tomorrow, October, Stranger in a Strange Land are all better in my opinion.

Thanks peeps. I will look into it. I posted three threads recently and this is the only one wherein nobody wrote anything cocky.

When was it last played live? Was it 87? It was an early regular and then it just died. I could do without hearing Pride again in exchange for a revival of Gloria.

It had over a fifteen year break, from 9 January 1990 to 30 March 2005. On the first leg of the Vertigo Tour, it rotated with The Electric Co., made just one appearance on the second leg, and then showed up sporadically on the third leg until the end, when it was actually played at six consecutive concerts from 5 to 14 December 2005. Unfortunately, though, they didn't play it on the fourth or fifth legs. I got to hear it once in Boston, but I would have loved it at the Aussie and Kiwi shows.

And thanks to greety for getting to the U2gigs links before me. :up:

Those who have heard Gloria live are 'lucky' indeed...I havn't been lucky in over 20yrs! ...still hoping.

Great great song. Should replace I WIll Follow in any set, it's 100 times better.

Nah, keep IWF and ditch Pride. I'd rather IWF rather than Pride be U2's most played song! It'd be a travesty if one of U2's worst live songs became #1 on the most performed count.

You're welcome ;)

(still not used to the new name though :D )

Nor am I; I sometimes still refer to it as U2VT! :laugh:

Nah, keep IWF and ditch Pride. I'd rather IWF rather than Pride be U2's most played song! It'd be a travesty if one of U2's worst live songs became #1 on the most performed count.

I second this. IWF has much more energy, is easy to perform, and can tear the roof off.

Back
Top Bottom