Whatever happened to "Gloria"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LOVED the return of both Gloria and Bad during the Vertigo tour. Wish they would ditch some of the "standards" like SBS and Bullet in favor of lesser played oldies (although I'm sure lots of folks would disagree with me on that).

LOVED the return of both Gloria and Bad during the Vertigo tour. Wish they would ditch some of the "standards" like SBS and Bullet in favor of lesser played oldies (although I'm sure lots of folks would disagree with me on that).

Well, I don't think Bad made a return on the Vertigo Tour, as that one never really went away (though it got played only a few times on the Popmart Tour, it was a regular on the Elevation Tour). If anything, Bad was a somewhat rare tune on the Vertigo Tour, as it wasn't played that often.

:)

Thanks, Popmartijn, I didn't realize that. Now I'm just a little bitter since I went to 11 Elevation shows and didn't hear it once (but I did get it twice on Vertigo)!

Well, I don't think Bad made a return on the Vertigo Tour, as that one never really went away (though it got played only a few times on the Popmart Tour, it was a regular on the Elevation Tour). If anything, Bad was a somewhat rare tune on the Vertigo Tour, as it wasn't played that often.

:)

It would be great to see Bad again next tour.. They should give this "bonus" to all U2 fans :sexywink:

Thanks, Popmartijn, I didn't realize that. Now I'm just a little bitter since I went to 11 Elevation shows and didn't hear it once (but I did get it twice on Vertigo)!

Then you were really unlucky, as I think they played it almost every other night.

No, they didn't. They did play some other 'oldies' though (Out Of Control, 11 O'Clock Tick Tock). Gloria only resurfaced again on the Vertigo Tour.

BTW, the most recent performance of Gloria is 14 December 2005 (in St. Louis)

yeah thats right, my show had out of control

I personally would like to see a rotation of IWF, Cry/The Electric Co., and Gloria. They are three awesome older songs that are completely amazing live, even after all these years. Also, Out of Control might fit in. Hell, maybe do two out of four of those per night and drop Pride (much, much better in-studio than live).

Philly 5/22/05 :drool: I was there, and it was the highlight of the show IMO.

An Cat Dubh would have been just as great though. I hope it becomes a regular at some point, but I doubt it.

Great great song. Should replace I WIll Follow in any set, it's 100 times better.

I agree with this actually. Plus there's more they can do with Gloria, great bass line, and the only thing I really love from I Will Follow is the guitar... I'm over I Will Follow. Imagine like City of Blinding Lights // Vertigo // Gloria instead... :drool:

We figured U2-Vertigo-Tour was just a touch out of date now. :wink:

I would fully support this if you replaced NYD, which is still good, with SBS or WOWY, which aren't.

Did you like any of the stuff on the Radiohead gigs site?? I'm particularly a fan of that predicted setlist.

No WOWY? That's blasphemy in my eyes. I will never, ever tire of that song.

And see, we all lament a bit about these certainties, but when you're actually at a show, they're magic.

Did you like any of the stuff on the Radiohead gigs site?? I'm particularly a fan of that predicted setlist.

No WOWY? That's blasphemy in my eyes. I will never, ever tire of that song.

And see, we all lament a bit about these certainties, but when you're actually at a show, they're magic.

The predicted setlist feature was pretty interesting - and probably would be even more accurate with U2. We'll see if something comes of it.

I disagree. WOWY is garbage nowadays. The way Bono seems to mumble through it like he's bored with the song and the lack of intensity in the final solo just destroys the song. It hasn't been worthwhile live since about the end of 1992 and I think the band should just retire it rather than water down such an incredible track. It's not the same without the Shine Like Stars ending either - that's only been done a handful of times (enough to count on one hand) this decade.

Then you were really unlucky, as I think they played it almost every other night.

It was played at more than two thirds of Elevation's shows, actually! The slot before Streets was occupied by Bad at 81 gigs, All I Want Is You 31 times, and Please once. Going to 11 Elevation shows and missing it each time is astonishingly bad luck. In comparison to being played at 81 out of 113 Elevation gigs, it was done at just 28 out of 131 (or 132, if you count the open LA rehearsal) Vertigo shows.

The predicted setlist feature was pretty interesting - and probably would be even more accurate with U2. We'll see if something comes of it.

I disagree. WOWY is garbage nowadays. The way Bono seems to mumble through it like he's bored with the song and the lack of intensity in the final solo just destroys the song. It hasn't been worthwhile live since about the end of 1992 and I think the band should just retire it rather than water down such an incredible track. It's not the same without the Shine Like Stars ending either - that's only been done a handful of times (enough to count on one hand) this decade.

Nahh... we'll have to have a peaceful disagreement. I still thought it was amazing - certainly at the Melb 1 - but I think you do have a bit of a point in that som eof the passion that was evident circa 87-93 isn't quite the same level nowadays.

I have to say though, I really like the Joy Division/INXS snippets, I actually prefer it to Shine Like Stars.

And if they continue to play One this tour, then they need to give it back the Do you hear us coming Lord verse, because it falls away without and transcends with it. Otherwise I wouldn't be shattered if they dropped it.

How I hope to see Bad, Running to Stand Still this tour...

LOL, either that or my memory is completely shot. I just took a peek at some setlists from that tour and it looks like Bad/40 snippet was played during at least two of the shows I attended. I have no memory of it at all. Damn drugs...:huh:

Back
Top Bottom