What would you say to Bono?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mellyinsf

The Fly
I've been up many nights thinking about what I would say if I ever met Bono. Everything I think of sounds corney. Just wondering what you would say to bono, if he had only a second...

I'd wave. :shrug:
To be honest, I have no interest in meeting the band. I've been to Dublin plenty of times in the past 19 years, at least twice every year and I'm sure I could have tracked them down if I had really wanted to. Someone once told me that U2's hometown is the only place they don't get chased by the people living there. The Edge walked down Grafton Street and nobody said anything to him apparently. (This is from the bloke who works in the shop that sells all the U2 stuff on the Quays and they charge a fortune and we always haggle with him and then pretend we are about to buy something from him then leave :shifty: ). I quite like the idea they can just swan about here.

When I met Bono, we sat down and wrote him a card beforehand, (correctly) assuming there wouldn't be time for chit chat. I got to shake his hand and say hi and Laura handed him the card. That was really all I needed, just to shake his hand and acknowledge each others' presence.

I was able to hang out with him for a few hours at The Grammy rehersals in 2002. I thought I'd be nervous, but after a couple minutes, I felt really comfortable. Luckily I work in the business, so I was able to talk to him as a "peer" in the industry instead of just a starstruck fan. But honestly, inside I was thinking, "Wow, I'm hanging out with Bono!".

We talked about alot of things - music, food, the state of the industry, different bands, books he's read, etc. It was a great experience and I'm glad he was so nice. Sometimes I'm a bit afraid of meeting bands I like because some I have met have ended up being complete a$$holes. Usually the fantasy you have about them is far better than the reality. However with Bono - he was just as wonderful as I had imagined.

Last edited:
I'd just say hi and thanks for being part of U2, whose music has been an inspiration to me.

Cheers,

J

I'm not one of those people who would get all giddy and speechless and 'oh dude, I like love your band *bursts into hysterical giggles/tears/screams*' if I ever met Bono. I guess i'd like to thank him for using his fame to benefit others, after all, it was Bono's political activism that made me aware of U2 int he first place. I'd had no real interest in them before he did the Jubilee 2000 thing.

AtomicLemon said:
I was able to hang out with him for a few hours at The Grammy rehersals in 2002. I thought I'd be nervous, but after a couple minutes, I felt really comfortable. Luckily I work in the business, so I was able to talk to him as a "peer" in the industry instead of just a starstruck fan. But honestly, inside I was thinking, "Wow, I'm hanging out with Bono!".

We talked about alot of things - music, food, the state of the industry, different bands, books he's read, etc. It was a great experience and I'm glad he was so nice. Sometimes I'm a bit afraid of meeting bands I like because some I have met have ended up being complete a$$holes. Usually the fantasy you have about them is far better than the reality. However with Bono - he was just as wonderful as I had imagined.

May I ask, what aspect of the industry are you in?

i met bono briefly before the concert on the first leg of the elevation tour. the band came in to do their sound checks around 4-5pm. edge and bono got out of the car and bono walked around shaking as many ppls hands as he could while edge kinda just stood around by the car and waved.

finally bono got to me. i was so nervous i couldn't say anything. he shook my hand and was about to walk away when i think i blurted out the words 'i love you' cuz the next thing i remember he leaned over and kissed my hand! :faint: i still have no recollection of what i actually said though :laugh:

i was literally shaking like a leaf for the next 10 minutes or so while we all went and bought our t-shirts and programs and found our way to our seats lol. and i hugged a complete stranger who we had just told about what had happened :lol:

Last edited:
I'm really not sure how to put into words what my heart feels for him. I love him for the true impact he has had on my life and I love him for the person he strives to be and I love him for the vision of the world that he has. I'm afraid I'd cry and words would fail me, and that'd I'd never be able to purge my gratitude.

I'm also afraid that I will never have the chance to try to tell him either....

The first time I ever got to speak to him while holding hands, was after the first leg Dallas show and the only thing I could say was thankyouthankyouthankyou. I wanted to say more, but I'm glad I got that much out. :D After he went on down the line, it was very hard for a second not to just lose it :sad:, but I knew that Edge would be by soon so I was able to keep it together a little while longer. After they all left in the cars, that when the tears and hugging began.

Last edited:
"Thanks for so much...you've given me so much, I need to give you something back" and hopefully I'd have the opportunity to hand him a sketch or something I've made.

I just met George Carlin a week ago (not a hero of mine but I thought it would be cool to meet him- he definitely has a character all of his own) anyways, I was thinking of all the things I wanted to say and when it finally came time to meet him at the signing table, I went numb. Most of it is because so much of what was happening was out of my control- people moving all around, his people kept handing him things to sign and move us along. At last count I think I thanked him 5 times for all his work...

With that said I don't think I can really put into words what I would say to him, except for what I said above, because I know it'll all change if I ever got the chance. Bono is so unique, as we all are, but he transcends so many boundaries that I only wish I could only dream of. His confidence and creativity combine with his passion on so many depths that separate him from so many other people. I don't praise him, but he is worthy of it anyways.

AtomicLemon said:

Yeah, what industry are you in? Please elaborate about the books and band part...sorry I 'm nosey but I would love to know.

I would say...Thank you for never breaking up and for being such a positive force in the world.

I wonder if he ever gets tired of hearing all this. But it's the truth.

I would simply thank the B-man for being the inspiration in my life to SPEAK MY TRUTH - to speak it as honestly and as proudly as I could while respecting the truth of others.

I would thank Bono for providing me with an EXCELLENT EXAMPLE OF GOD'S LOVE IN ACTION by his humanitarian activism for the world's poorest and often forgotten people and for EMPOWERING me to continue on this same path in my own life.:up:

I would thank Bono for his (and U2's) beautiful music which has gotten me through the rough spots in life. I would thank him for being such a wonderful father to his children and friend to his bandmates. And I would HONOR his commitment to his marriage and thank him for his lifelong respect for women.

And then - I think I would ask him for a hug!:wink:

LOVE WILL HAVE ITS DAY....:bono: :heart: :heart: ;)

The only thing I want from Bono is a hug .. but like that is ever going to happen :sad:

If I ever caught up with him in a situation where there weren't 20,000 people around, I'd love to try to get him talking about his pets - people usually love to talk about their babies. I'd travel to Ireland if he wanted my veterinary services :shifty:

I've always asked myself that question, then I finally did meet him and I barely had any motor skills :laugh:

one4u2 said:
I've always asked myself that question, then I finally did meet him and I barely had any motor skills :laugh:

yeah, i'm thinking this is how it would go down if i ever had the chance to meet him too. for once in my overly-verbose life, i would probably stand there like a twit without anything coherent to say. :huh:

I think that if Bono saw me he would run away. He once said that he doesn't like tall people and tries not to hang around them. I am 5'11 so I think he would try to avoid me, but if I were able to speak to him. Well, I have never really thought about it.

Anything that I might have in mind to say to him would probably be forgotten as soon as I saw him. Bono does seems to be one of the very few famous people who's happy to have a chance to talk to the people that have given U2 a great life. He seems as if he has a wealth of knowledge, so I think it would just be cool to listen to his thoughts on life, religion, politics, music and so on.

Ah heck, it would just be nice to say, Bono said hi to me and he shook my hand.

Back
Top Bottom