what would you say if U2 sang a punk song in there set ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: Re: what would you say if U2 sang a punk song in there set ?

Celticfc said:

It would have to be a Stiff Little Fingers song for me.

hmmm....yeah...

I think it'd be great if they threw in some Sonic Youth guitar quotes once in a while. Just little snippets here and there. U2 would sound a little weird doing a full fledged Sonic Youth cover.

All those Clash and Ramones songs :up:

Elvis Costello - Pump It Up or Radio Radio
The Velvet Underground - Sweet Jane
The Who - I Can't Explain, Substitute or Squeeze Box

U2 did cover Velvet Underground. It's called Miss Sarajevo---lol. Seriously though, I think that song is based alot on VU's song Femme Fatale.

hippy said:
I would love to see U2 do an absolutely manic version of "Sheena is a Punk Rocker!"

:D

That's one of my favorite songs ever.

:hyper:

And about I Fought the Law, the problem is it's a cover already, so it'd be like a 3rd generation song. Hmmm. No thanks, cool as it'd sound.

Ooh.... Sex Pistols' "Sub-Mission"

I for one can't imagine U2 doing a Clash song ..... not that i don't wanna hear Complete Control, Clampdown or White man :drool: Live under any circumstances (I might even listen to a children's choir version!! :reject: ), but a ramones cover would suit bono's voice better! I don't know... maybe it's just me!

bayernfc said:
I for one can't imagine U2 doing a Clash song ..... not that i don't wanna hear Complete Control, Clampdown or White man :drool: Live under any circumstances (I might even listen to a children's choir version!! :reject: ), but a ramones cover would suit bono's voice better! I don't know... maybe it's just me!

He could handle a Mick Jones song better, methinks.

So the Card Cheat it is.

Or maybe Train in Vain.

Or Should I Stay or Should I Go

Or Rudie Can't Fail (Mick sings enough)

Or if they wanted to be really dark and Ironic, they could do Paul's song and cover "Guns of Brixton" right before a gun control video and Bullet the Blue Sky.:huh:

UnforgettableLemon said:

Or if they wanted to be really dark and Ironic, they could do Paul's song and cover "Guns of Brixton" right before a gun control video and Bullet the Blue Sky.:huh:

:up: I LOVE this idea!!

Hey..We can dream can't we?!!:wink:

Popmartijn said:
The band has never recorded it. Bono has done a solo rendition of the song for the tribute album Tower Of Song (with Howie B behind the decks, IIRC). It sounds completely different to the Jeff Buckley version though...
And they did play a snippet of Hallelujah a couple of times after One on the Popmart tour (when Buckley had just died).
But no full-length, full-band versions exist.

Thanks for that...I sort of knew about Tower of Song, but haven't listened to it yet, and even knew that Bono did something on it but couldn't recall what...

I heard a snippet of the Cale version despite myself last night because the kids insisted on watching Shrek (what a fab movie that is! and how fucking cool it is to watch cartoon characters play out versesfrom hallelujah! ), and now I wonder how one could pull off a full-band version of such a song anyway.

But back to the punkrock thing,

I think it would be too cool to
see U2 do
T.V.Eye

and/or ...!better!...

Gimme Danger

and I don't care whether their true author liked it or not,
but I *loved* ewan mcgregor's take on it for velvetgoldmine, so
fuck off!:madspit:

oops, :ohmy: sorry!
cheers all...

Last edited:
U2 should DEFINITLY cover a who song in this tour...my vote would go to I Can See For Miles...omg, how awsome would that be, U2 could really turn that song into something else..we could only imagine. :drool:

Lancemc said:
U2 should DEFINITLY cover a who song in this tour...my vote would go to I Can See For Miles...omg, how awsome would that be, U2 could really turn that song into something else..we could only imagine. :drool:

oooohh, yeah!!!

brilliant!

edit: Yes yes yes yes yes ...
they should cover this one...
yes yes yes yes yes...

cheers!

Last edited:
ShellBeThere said:

oooohh, yeah!!!

brilliant!

edit: Yes yes yes yes yes ...
they should cover this one...
yes yes yes yes yes...

cheers!

glad to see someone else agree with this ;)

Edgette said:

Beat On The Brat would be cool to hear or even something like Elevation by Television. :drool: :up:

Aww hell yeah! They could do Television's Elevation and then their own :wink: Actually I'd rather hear See No Evil, love that song...great riff... Bono would be so hawt singing it. "What I want...I want now..." In fact, I think I've made up my mind, U2 is GOING to cover that song. I command them.

Any Velvet Underground would also be fantastical. If they did Pale Blue Eyes though, THAT would be heavenly. :love: Or Sweet Jane, Beginning to See the Light, What Goes On, Stephanie Says...

...Some Kinds of Love... :mac: :sexywink:

As for more punky stuff, Ramones is good. Beat on the Brat was a good cover, and I'd like to hear I Wanna Be Sedated. I'd also love to hear U2 cover some modern postpunk-ish band, like The Killers or Interpol.

But imo, U2 playing U2 is best :up: Just...See No Evil and Pale Blue Eyes, alright guys? *puppy dog face*

Back
Top Bottom