What would you put on the next compilation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigMacPhisto

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
So it's 2011, and U2 is releasing The Best Of 2000-2010 , what tracks from 2000-2005 make the cut for you? Keep in mind that your CD would need room for tracks from the next album or two as well.

My Playlist For 2000-2005:

1. Elevation (Tomb Raider Mix)
2. All Because Of You (Single Mix)
3. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
4. Kite
5. Vertigo
6. In A Little While
7. Miracle Drug
8. City Of Blinding Lights
9. Mercy
10. Walk On (Single Mix)

Chronologically

1. Ground beneath her feet
2. Stateless
3. Walk on
4. Kite
5. Sometimes...
6. City of blinding lights
7. Original of the species
8. Miracle Drug

They should have been included Beatiful Day, Stuck and Electrical storm. These songs have nothing to do with the 90's. But without these:

1. Elevation
2. Vertigo
3. Sometimes you can't make it on your own
4. Kite
5. All because of you
6. City of blinding lights
7. Walk on

U2girl said:
Chronologically

1. Ground beneath her feet
2. Stateless

Mmm......forgot about those. I figure that "The First Time" adequately covered that soundtrack, although yes, it was previously released on Zooropa . "The Ground Beneath Her Feet" is definitely worth inclusion though, but its lyrics weren't written by the band and there weren't any cover songs on either of the compilations.

Oh yeah, and "The Ground Beneath Her Feet" video was on the last Best Of DVD......but yeah, it's a good choice for our own lists, although it would unfortunately never happen.

Including the 3 songs that they put on the 90-00:

1. Elevation
2. Vertigo
3. Sometimes you can't make it on your own
4. Beautiful day
5. Electrical storm
6. All because of you
7. City of blinding lights
8. Stuck in a moment you can't get out of
9. Walk on

Elevation (Tomb Raider mix)
Walk On (single edit)
Vertigo
Sometimes you can't make it on your own
City of blinding lights (radio edit)
All because of you (single mix)
Original of the species (single version) (???)

Walk On
Kite
City Of Blinding Lights
Original Of The Species
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
Vertigo

I wouldnt be in favour of these next ones, but I guess they are sure to be included:-

Elevation
All Because Of You

honestly and realistically I am betting we will see something like this: "The Best Of 2000 - 2015". They just don't have enough material from this era yet. I am guessing they will only get one more album in before the end of the decade. 3 albums is not really enough for a best of. The 90's had 3 albums but they also included a song from passengers and HMTMKMKM and 2 new songs instead of just one. And they screwed themselves by including BD and Stuck in the "90s" best of. They should never have split the same album across 2 bestof albums like that. Now they cannot use those songs for the next bestof. I really can't see it coming out until 2015.

Anyone get what I'm saying? Agree, disagree?

I personally feel that by including their hits from 'All That You Can't Leave Behind' in order to shift a few more copies in the direction of people who first listened to them at that time, U2 are positively screwed come their next 'Best Of' unless they churn out two or three proper quality albums.

-edit- SORRY, i've basically gone and repeated what was said above me, didn't read that post! :huh:

I would put on
-electrical storm
-beautiful day
-walk on
-kite
-miracle drug
-love and peace or else
-city of blinding lights
-original of the species

I think that's it

I wouldn´t put any "best of" 2000-2005-10 whatever :crack:

Rather, I´d go with "THE REST OF THE BEST" :drool:

CD1:
1- Out Of Control
2- The Electric Co
3- Gloria
4- A Celebration
5- Two Hearts Beat As One
6- '40'
7- A Sort Of Homecoming
8- MLK
9- Bullet The Blue Sky
10- Running To Stand Still
11- In God's Country
12- One Tree Hill
13- God Part II
14- Heartland
15- Zoo Station
16- Love Is Blindness

CD2:

1- The Fly
2- Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
3- Zooropa
4- Numb (ORIGINAL)
5- Lemon
6- Discothèque (ORIGINAL)
7- Staring at the Sun (ORIGINAL)
8- Last Night on Earth (Single)
9- Mofo
10- Please (Single)
11- Elevation
12- Walk On
13- Vertigo
14- City Of Blinding Lights
15- Sometimes You Can´t Make It On Your Own
16- Original Of The Species (Single)

That would be just perfect :drool: :drool: :drool:

Hoodlem said:
honestly and realistically I am betting we will see something like this: "The Best Of 2000 - 2015". They just don't have enough material from this era yet. I am guessing they will only get one more album in before the end of the decade. 3 albums is not really enough for a best of. The 90's had 3 albums but they also included a song from passengers and HMTMKMKM and 2 new songs instead of just one. And they screwed themselves by including BD and Stuck in the "90s" best of. They should never have split the same album across 2 bestof albums like that. Now they cannot use those songs for the next bestof. I really can't see it coming out until 2015.

Anyone get what I'm saying? Agree, disagree?

From a solely artistic point of view I understand what you're saying. I particularly agree with your comment re. their decision to include BD and Stuck on the most recent compilation.

But from a business/marketing perspective, Universal and U2 themselves aren't going to sit around for an additional 5 years.

As Bono says in the recent Rolling Stone podcast, it's not sexy to not pay attention to business. U2 has always gotten props in my book for attention to both art and commerce.

Well, there's five singles from HTDAAB......all are really loved by the band, and the first four were massively popular commercial hits everywhere except the US........so that's five tracks there, add in the automatic inclusion of "Elevation" and "Walk On" and you've got seven tracks......add in a new song or two and you've got eight or nine tracks......add in an album track from ATYCLB that the band will fall in love with again ("Kite"? "In A Little While"? "Peace On Earth"?) and you've got ten tracks. That means if they only did one more album, they could take the four singles from that release and have the same number of tracks as The Best Of 1980-1990......

Vertigo
SYCMOYO (96BPM Mix)
COBL (Edit)
OOTS (Single Mix)
Walk On (Hallelujah Mix or Single version)
Elevation (Tomb Raider Mix)
Mercy

Elevation (Single)
Walk On (Single)
Vertigo
All Because of You (Single)
Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own
City of Blinding Lights
Original of the Species
Miracle Drug
The Ground Beneath Her Feet
Kite or In a Little While
Love and Peace or Else
(1 or 2 new songs or re-recorded songs)
(about 3-4 from any subsequent albums released after 2005)

Back
Top Bottom