What would you change?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You know what? I really like the image on the cover--I think it's a great shot and at least somewhat atypical, given the way the band has chosen to present itself visually in the wake of Pop . At the same time, though, I'm not totally sure that it works a cover, if that makes any sense...? After hearing the album, it seems even more incongruous than it did when it first leaked late in the Summer. I can live, though. I'm very curious to see the liner notes, though...aren't you? They were one of my biggest complaints with All That You... , actually. Here's to hoping that we can go back to the glory days of U2-on-CD liner notes (Achtung Baby, Zooropa, Pop . Rock on.

My favorite song is Crumbs. Right now, in my opinion it is a 99/100. Amazing. However, I belive it would be PERFECT if they sang the chorus twice at the end instead of just once. Minor detail, but I just think it would sound better.

The only thing I would change has nothing to do with the music. The cover and the title just do not fit the album in my opinion. They were both starting to grow on me quite a bit before I heard the album--so its not that. They just don't mesh.

I don't mind the title but the cover looks really out of place to me after listening to the album. The cover looks great but just doesn't fit the album considering the sound of the album (and Bono looks goofy in the pic/ terrible).

My only complaint/ change would be to take out some of the recycled U2 guitar bits/ or the bits that sound to close to an old riff. Some are very noticeable and some are pretty well hidden but noticeable if you listen enough... IMO it can take away from the song. Its one thing to make a U2esque sound and another thing to be too close to another song. Crumbs, Yahweh, and even Sometimes come to mind.

I hate the cover honestly. It seems to lack any of U2's usual cover panache. Then again, you can't judge the book by its cover but it's easily the worst U2 cover ever.

I would change the multitude of producers for just one - Joe O'Herlihy! Yes - record the album live, with fans forming an audience to push the guys to more passionate heights. U2 sound best live. Not with over-dubbed guitars and vocals and drums placed to the background but with raw Edge guitar, soaring crackling vocals and pounding bass and drums. i.e. they sound best when they are not perfect.

I am tired of hearing of the genius of eno/lanois etc. when all that seems to happen is the end studio album lacks the passion of a live performance.

These are great lyrics and interesting melodies - should be superb live & I'm sure I'll spend more time listening to the album on concert recordings than the studio cuts.

Before I get into this let me clarify that I REALLY love the music on this album. Musically I think this is definitely very close to Achtung Baby. That said...

If you shout... said:
I now fondly remember the days when Bono was comfortable SHOWING us something....now he simply TELLS us exactly what's what and what to feel, etc. Great ringing guitar on the chorus could have been louder. Again...feels a bit slick, doesn't it? Throw some dirt on the boys while they're playing or something...wasn't this supposed to be a rock'n'roll album...? PS: that "Do-do, do-do, do-do" shit is terrible.

This pretty much sums up all my issues with the album. Overall the lyrics are a little too straightforward for me - Bono spells out things a little too clearly in places - I miss the times where the lyrics were more abstract and songs were less lyrically defined.

And the production overall is too glossy. I'm willing to overlook this a little because I can imagine how these songs will sound live, but I think the album would have more impact if there weren't so many layers fighting for attention. The music really is incredible, but the production lessens it's impact in places. I can't wait to hear these songs live!

And Edge's solos need to be fleshed out more (another thing I'm hoping will happen live). Love and Peace Or Else practically BEGS for a huge solo, but instead Edge repeats a pretty basic riff over and over without going anywhere with it. Let loose, Edge!!

Oh - and I agree about the do-do's in OOTS. I cringed when I first heard them. I still do.

If you shout... said:

"All Because of You"--Well, the lyrics are silly once again. ...Or I think so, anyway. And while I don't really dislike it, I think it's a bit shady that the band simply lifted the closing rock-out from the PopMart versions of "The Last Night On Earth" to end the song with. Bono's vocals also seemed to not quite match up with the song perfectly in all parts (I guess I agree with our German friends on this one); also: WHAT THE FUCK IS UP WITH THE DOUBLE-TRACKED VOCALS??? I don't like it.

I hadn't noticed the "Last Night..." Live similarity, but you're spot on.

I also hate the double-tracked vocals.

And I don't like Larry's 'hiccup' drumming. I think a single, forceful, driving beat would have done it - similar to Primal Scream 'Rocks'.
That extra bounce is distracting, changes the pace.

Yeah - this is what I mean - "double-tracked vocals" and multi-layered guitars detract from the music. When the album was in its first stages Bono was shouting out about it being a rock n roll album and citing Black Rebel Motorcycle Club and Mooney Suzuki as influences. I'd been looking forward to a more stripped-down sound - something less orchestral.

Still at least we will get this in about 4 mths when the tour starts!

Thinking back to Electrical Storm the demo version that leaked on Radio 1 seemed mouch more immediate and strong than the William Orbit mix that went out officially. I would love to hear HTDAAB in demo version format!

Listening the album trough pc speaker boxes???? You can't have a serious comment on the albumsound. I'll wait for the real deal.

I would throw out the xylophones from COBL, after the drums kick in(after the wonderful beginning). They almost kill the song for me.

Amsterdamfan said:
Listening the album trough pc speaker boxes???? You can't have a serious comment on the albumsound. I'll wait for the real deal.

You may not realize but some people have really good speakers on their computers. I listen to all my music through my PC anyway so if I were to wait for the CD to come out, went and bought a home stereo system I'd really be giving it an unfair advantage ;)

I also have my computer hooked up to the home stereo, so I've heard on much much better than pc speakers. Plus I've also listened to it through good headphones.

Back
Top Bottom