What would have been U2's biggest song if they had have ever released it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I don't what their biggest song could have been but I've always thought 'Big Girls Are Best' sounded radio-friendly and had Top 40 potential!

Gone. The category of "should have been a single" was invented for this song.

I remember being irritated with the songs released from Pop: all the mid-tempo duds like Staring At The Sun kept streaming out, while the good stuff was held back.

"So cruel",no question.

listening to the acoustic version on u2exit.com makes you realise how a great live of a sing-a-long song it is.

It's such a shame they still ignoring that beautiful song.

Gone is way to experimental for the normal audience. I don't reckon it would've come high in the top-10.

Was The Electric Co. ever a single? If not, I think it certainly would've been one of U2's most famous songs.

i agree about GONE

when they were releasing the singles from that album, i kept thinking "GONE has to be next"

i have always wondered how they choose their singles.

for a while i felt that way about PLEASE, but they finally released that.

When IF GOD... became the last single, long after they had stopped playing it live, i gave up...

ironic, then, that GONE is on the BEST OF and one of the very few to be carried over onto other tours. (and it even made it onto the boston DVD)

that's more that we can say about LAST NIGHT ON EARTH and IF GOD...

I also thought In A LIttle While and Kite should have been singles. still don't know why they only released 4 from ATYCLB when the album was practically filled with singles. (at least moreso than POP)

Although I did hear IN A LITTLE WHILE on the radio a bunch of times in Denver, New York, and St. Louis, so I think it caught on. I think it would have been huge if it had been a single. (from my experience most non U2 fans somehow know that song anyway, so it obviously reached an audience with little radio play and no video)

as for HTDAAB
from day one I have felt that MIRACLE DRUG and CRUMBS should have been singles. I really think they would have done well. I also feel that way about Fast Cars, though I wouldn't be surprised if that ended up as a Single from a soundtrack or a compilation (or just a standalone single since it wasn't really on HTDAAB in americans minds)

To me MIRACLE DRUG and GONE are the 2 big missed opportunities. I also think Love Comes Tumbling sounds like more of a single than anything off of The Unforgettable Fire besides Pride.

my posts are always too long

Gone
Kite
Ultraviolet (Light My Way)
Fast Cars

I don't know if they would have been their biggest hit or whatever but I think they would do well on the charts but then again Last Night On Earth didn't, so... :shrug:

1stepcloser said:
In a Little While goddammit!!

agreed!

+ bad
+ if god would send his angels
+ please

but really, it all boils down to a matter of taste, it's hard to say which one would have made it.

Gone... maybe. Ultra Violet might've had some potential cause of the catchiness.... and apparentely, UTEOTW did get some airplay at least...

i reckon 'gone' and 'kite' are good calls.
as is 'ultra violet' and 'one tree hill'. i think 'babyface' would have been a good single.

looking backwards, i think 'rejoice' would have been a great single, better song than 'fire' in my estimation.

I agree about Ultraviolet. It has a catchy, radio-friendly chorus. U2 had never written a song quite like that really, I'm surprised it WASN'T a single. Until the End of the World would have done well I'm sure, since I know I've heard that on the radio before anyway and it's a live classic. Acrobat... one of U2's best songs, but I dunno how it'd do on radio. I do think there's an element of the song that sorta forces you to listen, but I dunno. No way it could succeed on radio now, but back then maybe.

Gone, yeah. Gone should have been a single instead of Please. Please is fantastic but not the kind of song you'd expect to hear on the radio, and I don't think it did too well, did it?

In a Little While would have been an adult comtemp hit, dunno about top 40 radio.

I think Fast Cars could do really well. They should slap it on some movie soundtrack so they have an excuse to release it as a single.

So basically I'm agreeing with the songs everyone else has already mentioned :wink: Love and Peace or Else could have done well on "alternative" stations, maybe. It wouldn't be what you would have expected from U2.

Back
Top Bottom