what was your first u2 album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My first album I owned was The Best of 1980-1990, for christmas 1998 as a gift.

Then ATYCLB for Christmas 2000 (when I started to really get into them).

First albums purchased: Zooropa and POP in January 2001.

Then I burned AB and JT on to CD's in March 2001 (we got a burner).

Then I quit my job and had no $$ for the rest of the year.

Got UABRS as a gift for Christmas 2001.

Finally purchased a legitimate copy of AB in Summer 2002.

Bought R&H in September 2002.

Bought Live in Boston in December 2002.

Bought The Best of 1990-2000 in December 2003 (DVD & CD)

Will buy new album in October/November 2004.

Remaining:
Boy
October
War
UF
WAIA
A legitimate copy of JT
Passengers

Priority list:
JT (my burned copy is worn out and scratched to hell...it can't even get past BTBS anymore and there's a massive scratch up to IGC)
War
UF
Boy
October
Passengers (impossible to find in Halifax)
WAIA

Friday the re-purchasing begins. :wink:

Well i borrowed (and eventually kept) my cousin's AB and JT cds around when POP was coming out .... so my first actual purchase was POP.

and thanks to student budget ..... i'm still missing October, UABRS, WAIA and Passengers!

The first U2 album I bought was Pop, waaaaay back in 1998. :D My older sister bough Achtung Baby when it first came it and I'd listened to it a lot, but it was actually buying Pop that started me on the road to true fandom. I think I owned all of U2's studio albums within half a year of buying Pop. :D

For me, it was Under A Blood Red Sky after hearing about them through a college friend who went to see them live in concert at Milton Keynes on the "Longest Day" back in 1985 and very vaguely recalling that I may have seen the video for NYD on TV for a bit as well. UABRS blew me away as I had never heard such passion in Bono's voice before and the amazing sounds emanating from the speakers. In a word....AWESOME!

dougal

Well my dad had the limited addition of 1980-1990. But my first proper album was ATYCLB, and i don't regret it!!! :wink:

My last was The Unforgettable Fire, its great!!!

I know have all of the U2 albums, apart from the live and awake in America and Under a blood red sky!!! I also have two huge great posters of U2 and two dvds and one copy!! Does this make me an official fan yet? :|

discothequeLP said:
Since then, i've downloaded most of the albums.

Wow, what fan...:wink:

My first album was Best of 1980-1990 after constantly listening to my Dad's copy of The Joshua Tree which basically got me into U2 in an instant...after that I got All that you Can't Leave Behind and was soon given 'October' and 'War' for my birthday, I like to think those two really started off my 'collection'...

Last edited:
Achtung Baby.
The first album I ever listened to in my life. My older brother had it on cassette. I listened to it when I was 4 years old. I loved it!

All That You Cant Leave Behind.....Christmas 2002 was the first U2 CD i recived/brought.

Dad already had the best of 80-90 he got for his birthday years ago.

My first U2 album was ATYCLB after I read that the lead singer of my current favourite band's favourite band was U2. "So," said I, "if HE likes U2, I will too!" And I did! After that I bought the Best of 80-90 and, well, the rest was history.

alia612 said:
My first U2 album was ATYCLB after I read that the lead singer of my current favourite band's favourite band was U2. "So," said I, "if HE likes U2, I will too!" And I did! After that I bought the Best of 80-90 and, well, the rest was history.

And wich band was that?

The Joshua Tree on tape was my first album...a friend of mine gave it to me when I was 7. She said she didn't like it too much and was going to throw it away but thought that maybe I could tape over it....:ohmy:

I'm glad she gave it to me and I'm so glad for having common sense at 7 to listen to it before taping over it. I was hooked. Rattle and Hum followed a year later and then Achtung Baby when I was 11. From its Zoostation intro, to the fading sounds of Love is Blindness I knew then that this band had changed my life forever and for the better. Since then, I have collected the rest of the albums and have not looked back...:heart:

angel_of_L.A. said:
The Joshua Tree on tape was my first album...a friend of mine gave it to me when I was 7. She said she didn't like it too much and was going to throw it away but thought that maybe I could tape over it....:ohmy:

I'm glad she gave it to me and I'm so glad for having common sense at 7 to listen to it before taping over it. I was hooked. Rattle and Hum followed a year later and then Achtung Baby when I was 11. From its Zoostation intro, to the fading sounds of Love is Blindness I knew then that this band had changed my life forever and for the better. Since then, I have collected the rest of the albums and have not looked back...:heart:

Rock on :up: :).

Angela

Unforgetable Fire

I listened to it on my walkman every single day for three months, then I went out and bought everything that came before it.

Wow... awesome thread gungirl! I like to read this kind of stuff... even though I've been a fan for MANY frikking years (am I really THAT old?), seeing what 'newer' fans post just turns me on... it reminds me of when I bought my first U2 album (War, in 1983) on vinyl... and yeah, I sort of envy folks who have been fans for even longer than me... but then, I envy fans whose first U2 album was ATYCLB!!!

Reading threads like this and listening to War or any other album I bought right after that... it's like a trip down memory lane for me... especially since I recently dug up alot of my old vinyl in a forgotten box in the attic... god, just listening to those old records.. I think I regressed 20 years! Forget CDs... why did we ever ditch vinyl??

}:)~

The first album I bought was War...in 1997. Shortly after, I picked up Pop...and about 4 months later...pretty much every other major release.

I got ATYCLB as a Christmas present in 2001 from my sister. I had asked for that and Laundry Service , but my sister claimed that "that Shakira person is too weird." I am now very glad she didn't dig Shakira's bellydancing moves. (But I ended up getting the CD anyway......along with almost every single U2 album!)

My mom has had all the albums from Boy on since they came out so I just borrowed them from her. First U2 album I personally bought was Achtung Baby on cd and tape. First post Hi everyone!

:larry:

Hello Hitman! :wave:

Welcome to the forum.
:eek: It looks like you have a great mom with a great taste in music! :up:

But you bought AB on CD AND tape? Ah, a hardcore fan from the very beginning. :p

C ya!

Marty

the unforgettable fire in 1987. i was 10 years old and wanted the joshua tree and since i got a good report card my mom said she would get it for me. well my mom brought home the unforgettable fire on accident, and the rest is history.

Back
Top Bottom