What Was the First U2 Album You Ever Brought?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I bought my first U2 albums on the same day in spring of 2000. JT, Best of the 80s, and the MDH soundtrack.
biggrin.gif

Technically, ATYCLB was my first. However, after I got it, I lost it.
rolleyes.gif
I never heard it before I lost it. However, a few months later (May) I got AB and I listened to it thousands of times
biggrin.gif

------------------
"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

Achtung Baby, on vynil.....we were probably the last in the street with a CD-player....

I now have all the albums on both CD and Vyinil-format (Vinyl-covers look great on your wall......much better than those tiny cd-covers...)

------------------
Vorsprung durch Technik

War on vinyl.

------------------
~"A little out of touch, little insane, just easier than dealin' with the pain!" ~Soul Asylum, "Runaway Train"

It was the fall of 1992. I was a freshman at Utah State. I had heard of U2 of course, but I thought they were a pop-garbage band like Erasure or Depeche Mode.

Then my friend made me sit down and listen to Joshua Tree from start to finish. Immediately afterwards we drove down to the Fred Meyer and I bought JT and AB at the same time. It wasn't too much later that I had purchased all their albums to date.

------------------
"And you become a monster, so the monster will not break you."

B000001E18.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

I was hooked after seeing the videos for Numb and Lemon, and I haven't stopped since!

------------------
"We are the biggest little cult band in the world." - Larry (1997)

Achtung Baby!!

I remember MYSTERIOUS WAYS being heavily played on MTV and I would always change the channel when it came on. Finally when it came on and I didn't want to get up and change the channel I saw the video and that was it!!! I was hooked!!! Got the rest of their stuff soon afterwards.

I bought the vinyl October after seeing the
group in concert in 1982. I never went to concerts. But decided to go after hearing Gloria. At the time I didn't know Bono from the Edge. Then, silly me, I forgot all about U2 until I was bowled over by the Pop cassette in '97. I had originally liked Discotheque before buying it. Then I bought a 2nd hand cassette of Achtung Baby. I had never even heard of the album. After that, I was hooked!

Originally posted by critter:
I bought the vinyl October after seeing the
group in concert in 1982. I never went to concerts. But decided to go after hearing Gloria. At the time I didn't know Bono from the Edge. Then, silly me, I forgot all about U2 until I was bowled over by the Pop cassette in '97. I had originally liked Discotheque before buying it. Then I bought a 2nd hand cassette of Achtung Baby. I had never even heard of the album. After that, I was hooked!

That's crazy, so in between 1982 and 1997 you just completely forgot about U2 and never bothered to listen to them?

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Boy on vinyl...I was out shopping with Wilma and Betty one day and I bought it at the Bedrock music store (sorry, age joke)
biggrin.gif

Joshua Tree on cd. Got it in 1996, listened to the first 4 songs, and then it sat there unlistened to for 4 years until the fall of 2000, when ATYCLB came out and I finally got into U2's music.

I'd always liked the U2 songs I'd heard on the radio and MTV, but I never bought one of their albums until my freshman year of college (it helped that my roommate that year was a big U2 fan).

JT came first in 97, followed closely by Pop and it didn't take long after that to fill in the rest.
smile.gif

I got Achtung Baby for my birthday 3 years ago, but I didn't pay much attention to it. It was only when I bought ATYCLB, that I started to really appreciate U2 (and of course - Achtung Baby!
biggrin.gif
)
BTW, it's really weird cause now I like AB better than ATYCLB...

Originally posted by sharky:
Achtung Baby-- and its still my favorite!

same here!

------------------
N A T E

"I want to dance in the dirty Florida rain..
Where The Streets Have No Name..."

-Bono,Miami, December 2,2001

I think this thread is a testament of 22 years of great music by a single band, the array of answers given are fantastic and make me even more proud to be a fan of this band.

BTW, mine was JT or UF or R&H I dont remember, but it was in that vein.

Originally posted by Vorsprung:
Achtung Baby, on vynil.....we were probably the last in the street with a CD-player....

I now have all the albums on both CD and Vyinil-format (Vinyl-covers look great on your wall......much better than those tiny cd-covers...)

I think I bought a CD player to play Achtung Baby! My Achtung Baby CD is a cardboard case.

I became a fan in 1983 while watching my signature concert on TV. I assume I bought War first, then the rest.

I remember having all of their albums and getting Unforgettable Fire when it was first released in 1984.

I distinctly remember waiting for Joshua Tree to be released and taping their first single, With Or Without you, from the radio. I listened to that single over and over and over....
smile.gif

------------------
"There's a lot of real rubbish going on about new music & old music, can I just say we play U2 music? Is that OK?" - Bono, Us Festival 5/30/83

Back
Top Bottom