what was the best U2 tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
JT was U2 at their best musically and Bono's voice was perfect. Songs like EXIT, BAD, WOWY, etc.... sounded so much better than 90's tours...... however, to me, ZOO TV is the best tour, because it is not only a tour, it is like a whole world, it was a certain atmosphere, it was enormous. Still 13 years later we remember ZOO TV as the most incredible tour in music history......it was a meeting point for all celebrities, models, actors, it was a cool place to be...... U2 created almost like a huge moving night-club with great rock'n roll music!!!!

I also want my ZOO TV :wink:

I've attended shows on every tour since 1986 (Conspiracy of Hope mini-tour), except for Lovetown.

In my opinion, Elevation was the best. Zoo TV outside broadcast was mind-blowing in its ambition and technological-choreographic accomplishment, and is rightly appreciated as having changed the face of live music. But Elevation had more emotional soul. I also appreciated the setlist variation on Elevation.

Joshua Tree, despite the great music, was easily the worst.

The bar, of course, is set by Bruce Springsteen. I saw Joshua Tree and Tunnel of Love shows within a few months of each other, and Bruce was so incredibly superior that I was ashamed to call myself a U2 fan (and let's remember that in 1988 Bruce was 10 years past his live performance prime and Tunnel was a relatively weak Bruce tour). On the other hand, the best Elevation shows that I saw were as good as Bruce shows (Bruce's energy is always higher than Bono's, but Elevation's emotional depth was amazing).

And I agree that you can't accurately judge the impact of a live show from its bootleg. Some of the greatest U2 shows I attended sound weak on boot (e.g. Chicago 6/28/97). When you're at a show sometimes you can tell that the band "feels" like they're more into it and this does affect the audience - you can't tell that on a bootleg.

I think it's like communication: 60% is body language, 20% is your tone, and 20% is what you say.

'There's no business like ZooTV business' Quoted by Bono, ZooTV Adelaide 16th Nov 1993

:bow:

POPMART Mexico City POPMART Mexico City POPMART Mexico City POPMART Mexico City POPMART Mexico City POPMART Mexico City POPMART Mexico City POPMART Mexico City POPMART Mexico City POPMART Mexico City POPMART Mexico City POPMART Mexico City POPMART Mexico City POPMART Mexico City POPMART Mexico City

:bow:

They played all of it on NY's 92.3 on st. patrick's day. And I taped it and have just been listening to it for the umpteenth time.

Pop Muzik/Mofo, Gone, Staring (amazing version), Bullet (100, 200, 300, 4...), Please/Streets :drool: :drool: :drool:

Okay, I think that's enough drooling. :wink:

i've seen all tours, except Lovetown, since the Unforgettable Fire and for all-around impact I'd have to say Elevation.

mikeICX said:
hi all, im doing some research for a magazine i work at (insidecx.com) and i was wondering what people consider to be their best tour? would ZooTV be a safe bet?

Isn't that magazine based on long island?? I started a thread re: getting into the music-entertainment biz and any advice or tips anyone may have- Is there someone there I can contact and what requirements are they looking for?? If you can email me any info that would be great thanks! you299@yahoo.com

oh and Elevation was my favorite tour, no crazy effects just 2+ hours of U2 on a stripped down stage jamming :D

For my money, I would have to say the first leg of the Joshua Tree tour in '86. Saw them in the Meadowlands Arena in New Jersey. Incredible. Power, passion. And I'm partial to the old stuff, so it was great to hear the songs from War, October and Boy that you didn't hear on later tours. Missed Zoo unfortunately. Saw Popmart....thought it was the easily the worst of the U2 concerts I had seen. Elevation was amazing.

But you never forget your first...

I think if one is rating tours soley based on music, then you can probably get a good gauge of that with bootlegs.

However, when a show becomes a spectacle like ZooTV or Popmart, it is hard to accurately judge them without actually seeing them.

I agree with Axver that the passion of the music on the Lovetown boots is extraordinary, but I also think the music from ZooTV is excellent. And I saw a show on the ZooTV tour, and visually it was stunning. That's why I think so many people rate ZooTV as their best tour, because U2 were at the top of their game (although they still are, IMO) and it was such an elaborate show.

I've seen nine concerts on eight tours/legs and here are my rankings based solely on the shows I attended:
1. Joshua Tree (5/9/87 first leg)
2. Unforgettable Fire (3/7+8/85 third leg)
3. Unforgettable Fire (12/15/84 second leg)
4. Zoo TV (10/16/92 Outside Broadcast)
5. Elevation (4/3/01 first leg)
6. Conspiracy of Hope (6/4/86)
7. Joshua Tree (11/14/87 third leg)
8. PopMart (5/12/97 first leg)

I'll give my reasons for my rankings:
1. it was my freshman year of college, my fifth U2 concert, overpaid for 15th row center seats, took my roomie to his first U2 show and it was great! They came out to Stand By Me which I thought was really cool and special until I found out that wasn't the first, or last, time they did that. It was the last time I got to hear some old favorites like The Electric Co., October, etc. It was probably my zenith as a U2 fan and it's my personal favorite.

2. Ticket price was $13.50 each night. This was before Live Aid and everyone at the shows were there for love of the music and not because they were the hot band. I rank these higher than the other UF show I was at because they were a little tighter with the new material. Most of the songs played are still my favorites U2 songs to date. Last time I got to see songs like Party Girl, Seconds, Surrender, Two Hearts Beat As One and there was a Dylan cover (Knockin'). General Admission shows!

3. It was my first U2 concert and my first concert for any band. It's like a first love. Pretty much the same setlist as the other UF shows, but it was in the smallest venue that I got to see them play in. General Admission show!

4. Okay...the bells and whistles were fun, but the music was really good. Great setlist with some of the oldies I love sprinkled in with the Achtung Baby material and some cool covers. Even though it was a stadium show, it didn't seem like it.

5. Got back to the basics and out on a good show. After the disaster that was PopMart, they really redeemed themselves. This would have ranked higher for me had they played 11 O'clock Tick Tock and Out Of Control like they did later in the tour, but I got the Pop trilogy of Gone>Discoteque>Staring at the Sun instead much to my dismay.

6. This would rank much higher if it a longer set. Liked the new arrangement for Sunday Bloody Sunday and the cool covers of Help and Maggie's Farm. The entire CoH show was one of the best I ever saw. Sting was great, Peter Gabriel was great and U2 was amazing.

7. This was the first time I had to see them in a stadium. they had played the free concert in San Francisco a few days earlier that I couldn't attend due to sork 9stupid decision) and it was a great concert experience because the Pretenders opened, but I could sense that Bono's ego had explded in the time between the JT shows that I was at. Las ttime I got to see MLK>Unforgettable Fire, and boy do I miss that!

8. If I could rank it lower, I would. PopMart SUCKED for me. It was the seventh show of the tour and they didn't have a clue to what they were doing yet. It was in a crappy stadium and the sound was crappy, the setlist was crappy and it was, by far, the worst U2 show I attended. A karaoke version of Daydream Believer instead of Sunday Bloody Sinday and New Year's Day? Are yiou freaking kidding me? I know they got their stuff together later in the tour, but I felt ripped off that I paid that much to see a crap show. The show was so bad, I almost decided never to see them again, but Elevation got me back on the bus and I'm still hanging with the lads!

Where will Denver 4/20/05 rank? Can't wait to find out!

Back
Top Bottom