what was the best U2 tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Without question, the 1st leg of ZooTv was blow your mind out incredible. Of course, the top going around back then was pretty great as well. :wink: :wave: :angel:

"Is this Rock and Roll?" UTEOTW...just amazing.

:dance: :dance: :dance:

Last edited:
I'm going to be one of the minority here and say popmart. It's just how the songs were rebuilt and had a completely different feel to them than before. But I have to admit the lovetown tour is also one of my favorites, I have the Dublin shows on shn and I frequently listen to them.

lemon_vr6 said:

You don't think that recordings are a slightly flawed method of ranking tours?

Not at all.

I doubt any one person here has been to every single U2 tour. However, I have bootlegs of every single tour, so I can rate them against each other on that basis.

And Lovetown pisses all over everything else.

Axver said:

Not at all.

I doubt any one person here has been to every single U2 tour. However, I have bootlegs of every single tour, so I can rate them against each other on that basis.

And Lovetown pisses all over everything else.

You definitely need to actually see them.

lemon_vr6 said:

You definitely need to actually see them.

24, 26, and 28 May! :hyper:

Though I have a hard time believing I'm going to prefer this tour over Lovetown. Lovetown had everything: the best guitar, the best setlists, All Along The Watchtower, God Part II, Hawkmoon 269, spontaneity, Streets at its peak, the music rather than bloody technology at its core (it's a rock concert, not a damn light and visuals show) ...

Axver said:

Not at all.

You'd be surprised. I know of at least one person on these boards who I believe has been to every tour.

And I've been to every tour since Zoo TV, so I feel I am qualified to say that Zoo TV is the best, based on my firsthand observations.

My favorite is Elevation.

The heart idea was great, the sheer amount of songs played throughout the tour - from hits, 90's songs, new songs, oldies, B-sides...

miss becky said:

You'd be surprised. I know of at least one person on these boards who I believe has been to every tour.

That person would be in an incredible minority, though. After all, many people here hadn't been born or were very little at the time of tours such as Boy and October, or would have been unable to travel to Lovetown or whatever.

I'm making my judgement purely based on bootlegs with no actual live experience to sway me in favour of whatever tour/s I've seen, so I think it's a fair judgement.

Axver said:

That person would be in an incredible minority, though. After all, many people here hadn't been born or were very little at the time of tours such as Boy and October, or would have been unable to travel to Lovetown or whatever.

I realized after I had posted that I think her earliest tour was War, so she might not have seen them all. But still, there are people out there. Just most of them probably don't post at Interference. :wink:

The guitar-work in Lovetown was the best. But they scale of Zoo TV (and Bono still with his voice tip-top) was the best. Hard to say. One of those two mid-career tours, though, for sure.

i believe that we could be distracted watching the videos and all the animation at zootv, but not so distracted to notice that musically (and that includes bono's voice) they were better than ever.

theu2fly said:
I'm gonna have to say either, Joshua Tree, The Unforgettable Fire or Lovetown...

Lots of innocence, great raw music filled with emotion -- before U2 took on popular culture.

:up: :up:

While Zoo TV was a great tour ANY venue outside can't compare to seeing U2 play within an enclosed arena of 15-18k people....so I'd say Joshua was the best tour..the indoor shows that is.

I'd have to say ZooTV. Listening back to Bono's JT voice, it's great, but it's also gaudy and just lacks a certain something....the Can't Help Falling In Love falsetto will never be equaled.

Axver said:

Streets at its peak

I actually believe the Zoo TV version of Streets is the song at its peak. Having heard several bootlegs from the JT/Lovetown era, I think Bono's voice sounds far too harsh and raw when he sings the song. It sounds like he's screaming the lyrics.

During the Zoo TV tour, however, his voice is far more restrained and controlled. He is no longer screaming the song, but singing it. The song is much more epic in the context of the Zoo TV presentation, with the nostalgic Joshua Tree footage playing in the background, and Bono waving to his younger self. It's poignant. It's almost as if older, more ironic and jaded Bono is saying to his younger, more naive self, 'I haven't forgotten you!' It moves me every time.

-Miggy

Depends on wat you class as Best? Having been to all tours from Unforgettable Fire to present, i would say this. Zoo tv was best visually however musically.......i would giv that honour to Elevation tour or JT tour.

i have never seen lovetown footage...UNLESSSS it's on the rattle and hum dvd. then i have probably seen it. i use to think popmart was their best tour, but now it's a three way.

elevation
jt
zootv

Back
Top Bottom