What U2 Needs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
U2girl said:

Bingo, exactly what I was talking about. Their music and what they're doing now doesn't fit your idea about the band so it's lynch time for U2 as far as you're concerned.

1. Boy had a youthful energy and great ambition in songs like I Will Follow, Out Of Control, Another Time Another Place & The Electric Co.

"I was of a feeling it was out of control
I had the opinion it was out of control"

2. October had loads of spiritual passion in songs like Gloria, Rejoice & With A Shout.

"I believe it... Jesus coming
I'm gonna be there... I'm gonna be there mother"

3. War almost needs no explanation... politically charged up songs like SBS, Like A Song & Seconds.

"As we divide against each other and we fight amongst ourselves
Too set in our ways to try to rearrange, too right to be wrong, in this rebel song"

"Angry words won't stop the fight, two wrongs won't make it right"

4. UF, JT & RH had the social commentary and passion of Pride, Bad, Bullet, RTSS, One Tree Hill, God Part II, Silver & Gold etc.

"Free at last, they took your life
They could not take your pride"

"Bruised silken sky and burning flag
Colors crash, collide in blood shot eyes"

"You plant a demon seed, you raise a flower of fire
See them burning crosses, see the flames higher and higher"

"And in the world a heart of darkness, a fire zone
Where poets speak their heart then bleed for it"

"the truth is not the same without the lies he made up"

"Don't believe in forced entry, don't believe in rape
But every time she passes by, wild thoughts escape"

7. Achtung Baby, Zooropa & Pop had a don't-give-a-fuck attitude mixed with mind blowing sonic exploration for U2 standards at least.

"It's no secret ambition bites the nails of success
Every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief
All kill their inspiration and sing about their grief"

"And these are the days when our work has come asunder
And these are the days when we look for something other"

"Looking for a sound that's going to drown out the world"

8. And then we have ATYCLB which, granted, had some passion (Walk On) and social commentary (Peace On Earth) but also safe made-for-the-charts fluff like Stuck In A Moment, Elevation, In A Little While & Wild Honey.

9. HTDAAB at least somewhat seems like a step in the right direction. There's some political & social commentary in Crumbs, Miracle Drug, LAPOE etc. It still has made-for-the-charts fluff like Vertigo.

I don't dislike the last 2 albums. It's just so obvious that the passion has gone down.

As you can clearly see, it's about the attitude and not the music. Sorry for the long post but I felt it was necessary.

Good post Zootlesque :up: I agree, I actually think HTDAAB is one of U2's best albums to date (probably my 4th favourite, every song is good!), but U2 has definitely lost some of their attitude... I mean, looking back at their ZooTV and Pop days, those fuckers were HARDCORE! Those were some BADASSES!!

Babyband.jpg

Case point: some badasses.

It worked for ZooTV. There were critics, but overall Achtung Baby was deemed a masterpiece and the tour groundbreaking. Zooropa was able to ride on the success of ZooTV... but Pop? Despite being an even better album (in my opinion, obviously), at that point people were tired of the experimental U2... and now U2 is terrified of having another failure. Having such a commercial failure (in the US, anyway) seems to have taken the attitude out of them...I think, though, that U2 hopefully realizes that continuing down the path of "radio-friendly" albums will result in harsh criticism...critics hailed ATYCLB as a masterpiece. HTDAAB? Good reviews, but nothing outstanding, despite being (imo) a better album. Another album too similiar just won't work. The best way for U2 to compete with the mainstream is to not compete... get back that rebel attitude...or maybe I'm just talking crazy talk??

They should do their MOST experimental album at this point..it'd throw people a lot, energise the band creatively and they're already well-cemented as legends..basically they should take all the most outlandish musical ideas they've ever had and try and make them happen, IMO. :)

What is this 'rebel' talk? Don't you know U2 doesn't sing rebel songs? :wink:

Today's U2 has been accused of pandering to the younger generation, where in the past U2 didn't care about the teen demographic. Today's U2 has also been called adult contemporary. Do you see any contradictions here?

It's unbelivable to me how few people there are that are open to a band changing over the course of time. I happen to find alot to love in all U2 albums. I also like early Beatles, and late Beatles. Barret-era/Waters-era/Gilmour-era Pink Floyd all get my adoration. I don't like all music I hear, but with bands like these, I tend to appreciate their whole catalog.

I have defended ATYCLB in the past, and frankly I'm tired of doing it. It's a great album and if you can't see that, it's your loss.

2Hearts said:

Today's U2 has been accused of pandering to the younger generation, where in the past U2 didn't care about the teen demographic.

U2 always cared about that demographic, in the sense they care about all the demographics. They have only recently started pandering to the lowest common denominator of pop music fans, or started bending over for a demographic, the largest one.

It's like once saying, "sure I want those people to like it, but I am not going to go out of my way to make sure they do."

and now saying "sure I want those people to like it, so I am going to try and give them what they want"

They want the demographics in the first place, how they are going about getting them is a different situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom