what U2 and Queen have in common

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
kimby said:

Hey man, don't go running down Queen, man, this is about what they have in common, man, besides man, back in the mid seventies, man, I was a teenager and owned all their LPs, man and I was 16 and drove the main drag of my town, man, in my 1st car listening to "We Will Rock You" and "Another One Bites The Dust" and etc., and so forth, man, so don't you go dissing this old broads teenage musical taste, man, and besides U2 probably listened to them once in a while too, man...:eyebrow: :wink:

Don't mean to be rude, bu We Will Rock You is one of the most trying songs ever made.

I think that the only intresting thing in Queen were Freddie, his voice. The music I don't give much for :( Brian May souns like a studio musician, he could have fit in Toto. But Freddie was a great singer, a real great one. :)

Peterrrrr said:

2. U2 is a more experiment group. Its impossible to compare each album with another.

3. Live band, I don't care about how many who says that Freddie where the ultimate show man, Bono is, he is more mystical on stage, he does impulse things. Also to see him on stage perfoming SYCMIOYO is amazing, such a emotional performence. Edge vs May? Well I think May sounds like a studio musican, Edge plays with much more feeling. Adam, well just going around, smiling and looking cool. :)

I think the opposite of both of these statements is true.

A more experimental group than Queen? :eyebrow: ???

And as far as live bands go, Queen were at the top of their game with much more limited equipment and technology.

Yes Queen has so much stuff which is different from their norm so i don't think U2 are any more experimental.

Also on the Biggest Bands thing... U2 are one of the biggest so are Queen.... I have heard many of times U2 mentioned the biggest band in the world so i cant rule it out...

Let's not turn this thread into a clone of the Bono vs. Freddie thread :yikes:.

I've never thought about what Queen and U2 have in common :hmm:. I love both :D.

Peterrrrr said:
Well both band are original, you don't find any other to compare with in sound and singer. (No I don't compare Coldplay, Keane etc with U2).

In my opinion U2 wind the match? Why:

1. Sure Freddie voice were amazing, he may hit higher notes then Bono, but Bono sings with much more feeling, passion and soul. When you think that he can't push his voice any more, he goes one step higher. Also Bono's voice is much more miscellaneous, he can sing in high light voice, dark low voice, falsetto and opera. Also Bono is the only artist that can sing false, if he goes offkey he sound sad not false.

2. U2 is a more experiment group. Its impossible to compare each album with another.

3. Live band, I don't care about how many who says that Freddie where the ultimate show man, Bono is, he is more mystical on stage, he does impulse things. Also to see him on stage perfoming SYCMIOYO is amazing, such a emotional performence. Edge vs May? Well I think May sounds like a studio musican, Edge plays with much more feeling. Adam, well just going around, smiling and looking cool. :)

Have you ever listened to Queen? Or seen any of their live performances?

And there is one thing Queen has U2 will never have, but I can't say the word. I can say it's a type of "showmanship".

Peterrrrr said:

Don't mean to be rude, bu We Will Rock You is one of the most trying songs ever made.

I think that the only intresting thing in Queen were Freddie, his voice. The music I don't give much for :( Brian May souns like a studio musician, he could have fit in Toto. But Freddie was a great singer, a real great one. :)

COuldn't agree more.
I always thought Queen were a cabaret act.

LemonMacPhisto said:

Have you ever listened to Queen? Or seen any of their live performances?

And there is one thing Queen has U2 will never have, but I can't say the word. I can say it's a type of "showmanship".

Why inst Bono a showman? You can read in magazine that writers name Bono as the Ultimate showman and other think Freddie was. But in my opinion Freddie hadnt the mystic side that Bono has.

Here's some moments in Bono's "showmanship":

- In their first years of the band Bonos was crazy, he was climbing on the stage..., he was excellent(and still is) to get the crowd mad.

- Live Aid

- 1986-06-15 - East Rutherford

- JT tour

- ZooTV, says it all, Bono's three alter egos.

I can name much more, the list can be long.

Also, after the Live Aid performence wasnt there a man call Freddie who where a bit rude to Bono because of the good performence U2 did on that show?

Oh for fucks sake, lets just drop the trying one-up either group, this thread is about possible similarities. If you don't see any similarities, fine, but this is not a thread to bring up reasons why one band was better than the other, and it is NOT another Bono vs. Freddie thread! (let's just not go there after last time, jeez).

MacHat said:
it is NOT another Bono vs. Freddie thread! (let's just not go there after last time, jeez).

Yeah. We're not even allowed to say the "s" word anymore after that thread. Let's just all accept that they were both terrific bands at their height. And Peterrrr, just try to accept the fact that some people like Freddie Mercury more than Bono, all right? We don't need endless lectures about vocal passion and that sort of thing. I personally prefer Freddie Mercury as a singer and a showman and I'm damn well allowed to feel that way.

Back on topic, I don't see any similarities between Queen and U2 whatsoever (other than their ability to put on a great live show.)

GibsonGirl said:
Back on topic, I don't see any similarities between Queen and U2 whatsoever (other than their ability to put on a great live show.)

Agreed, both are fantastic live :drool: .
I recently met a guy who saw Queen at Wembley in '86, lucky bastard :wink: .

Well, Freddy was hitting on Bono at Live Aid so I think if he'd lived longer they'd have gotten to be good friends. And Brian May has nice things to say about Bono. So why get into some kind of rivalry over the two. In my opinion they are both fantastic bands and were definitely the two most memorable acts in Live Aid, far above anyone else. Queen has been much more camp and cabaret than U2, although they came close with ZooTV. I think Freddy would have loved the Zoo and it is a shame he didn't live to see it.

Dana

Honestly Brian May would destroy Edge in a delay-laden solo-off. Also I'd like to see U2 take on tin pan alley and come off as wonderful doing it. Queen was just more versatile, even if most people peg them down to one sound.

MacHat said:

Agreed, both are fantastic live :drool: .
I recently met a guy who saw Queen at Wembley in '86, lucky bastard :wink: .

Ooh so did I :hyper: they were incredible.

Other similarities -they've both done videos in drag. I want to break free must be one of the funniest videos ever.
Also someone earlier was talking about Pop and Hot Space, have you noticed the art work on the covers for both is very similar?

Peterrrrr said:

Why inst Bono a showman? You can read in magazine that writers name Bono as the Ultimate showman and other think Freddie was. But in my opinion Freddie hadnt the mystic side that Bono has.

Here's some moments in Bono's "showmanship":

- In their first years of the band Bonos was crazy, he was climbing on the stage..., he was excellent(and still is) to get the crowd mad.

- Live Aid

- 1986-06-15 - East Rutherford

- JT tour

- ZooTV, says it all, Bono's three alter egos.

I can name much more, the list can be long.

Also, after the Live Aid performence wasnt there a man call Freddie who where a bit rude to Bono because of the good performence U2 did on that show?

I never said Bono wasn't a showman, I was making a joke about a word said to describe Freddie Mercury's certain "showmanship". I'm not even going to try arguing with you.

Agrrrrrree to disagrrrrree.

003043_45.jpg

Last edited:
Greenlight said:

I want to break free must be one of the funniest videos ever.

That's one of my favourite videos of all time. When Freddie steps out with that vacuum cleaner... :lol:

Roger is hotter than Larry. (well not now...back in the 80s)

^ I met RT once and he winked me. ;)

Back
Top Bottom