What to do with the rest of 2003....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_acrobat

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Okay, so the word is official. What once seemed unrealistic to us is now a cold hard fact of reality. U2's new album isn't coming out until 2004. I'm kinda relieved, in a way. That they finally came out and told us "hey, we're not done yet, give us more time." Fair enough, 2004 is going to be an awesome year, with the album and the tour.

But the point of this thread is to find out what the rest of you plan to do with the rest of 2003, since we'll get no U2 album. I mean, musically, is there anything else good and fresh out there??? I'd just like to know what some of you are going to do to make a distraction until we get this year over with. Maybe some MP3 leakage will happen around December. And it's almost May.....getting closer. Anyway, what will you all do to hold you over until U2's album comes out?

I'm going to wait patiently, keep checking Interference, occassionally check U2.com, and keep digging through the internet for new album info.

I'll listen to some Pearl Jam, Aerosmith, Rage Against the Machine, and the Who. I'll download some U2 boots to burn onto CD and that should keep me in check until late this year or early next year.

well, I don't know about you guys
but I'm going to invade a radiohead forum and have some fun of my own over there

see you in a few months!

For all those hungering for a new U2 album I recommend getting into what I consider the ?fifth member(s) of U2? - Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno. From what I?ve read and seen in interviews both of them have not only produced U2 albums (behind the glass) but they also been active in the studio itself > creating U2 songs and performing on number of U2 songs that we hear on the albums! In the past year I have come to thoroughly enjoy and appreciate DL?s Acadie (Larry and Adam perform on Still Water and Jolie Louise) / For The Beauty Of Wynona / his ?third? solo album Wrecking Ball / and his ?fourth? solo album Sling Blade Soundtrack (which consists mostly of DL instrumentals). I highly recommend Emmylou Harris? Wrecking Ball which was not only produced by DL but DL performs on every track ? provides backing vocals on a number of tracks ? he wrote 2 tracks and co-wrote another one ? the other musicians are members of DL?s band ? and our very own Larry Mullen Jr. plays drums on 9 of the 12 tracks! I have read a number of U2 fans and non-U2 fans select Wrecking Ball and JT on their ?Desert Island discs.? I would like to start getting into Brian Eno?s solo work. Any Eno fans? Any recommendations? The new DL album was released on April 22. The first track I Love You is a duet with Emmylou Harris (more of a backing vocals part). An excellent song with the typical and famous Lanois ?sound? (rich and lush atmosphere). Absolutely gorgeous. The second track Falling At Your Feet is a duet with Bono. It has always struck me as having a Simon & Garfunkel type of feel. The version on Million Dollar Hotel Soundtrack is 4:54 whereas this version is 3:41. In this version it sounds like DL sings the first third / Bono comes in with his JT whoooh at 1:50 / then they sing the middle third together / Bono takes the lead during the last third. I?ve always loved this song and felt that it beautifully complements U2?s Grace (musically and thematically). In Niall Stoke?s book Into The Heart: The Story Behind Every U2 Song DL reveals that it was seriously considered for ATYCLB. The drummer on the album is Brian Blade who is a long time collaborator with DL and I believe he played drums on half of the tracks on Norah Jones' Come Away With Me. Other regular DL band members are involved too. Overall - Shine is a fairly quiet album with it being more comparable to his first album Acadie (his JT) than his second album For The Beauty Of Wynona (his AB). It looks like it will make for a wonderful ?Summer? album. You can listen to the new album here:

http://www.anti.com/artist.php?id=86661

The Canadian release of Shine has a bonus track called Red. It is a beautiful song and I would place it among the very best songs on Shine. It is a quiet song with acoustic guitar and piano and it has a sunny summer day kind of feel. Red creates an atmosphere and a picture of two lovers laying on the grass under a willow tree near a river. You can listen to it here:

http://music.sympatico.ca/fa/daniellanois/#

My Canadian version does not list Red on the back of the CD cover but Red is listed on the CD itself as track 14.

live, dropkick murphys, radiohead all have new albums coming out in may and june. there's the warped tour this summer. right now i'm completly obsessed with bad religion and as of yesterday some stuff off greg graffin's solo album (graffin being the singer of bad religion). and i'll continue to scrub music recommendations off my friends, people who work at the sampus radio station, and people at interference.

I don't listen to that much U2 these days anyway. since I became a fan in 93 (after zooropa) they've come out with 2 albums in 10 years... so new u2 albums just aren't something i'm used to expecting to happen on a regular basis.. hope? yes, but not expect

I listened to Passengers Original Soundtracks yesterday to get my U2 fix without having to listen to something I've heard 1,000,000 times already. I hadn't listened to it for so long that it almost seemed new!

I'm also increasing my collections of albums by other artists I love where I don't already have their complete catalogue.

I've got a ton of U2 bootlegs that I've never had the chance to listen to, so I'll do that. And, I've also gotten into Coldplay and some other bands, so I'll start/continue collecting bootlegs of theirs also. And, of course, having two children that are both in the double digets now, I've got my hands full. Getting them into *real* music takes alot of my time. :) (they are both into U2 and I'm taking my 12 year old to see Coldplay next month - yahoo!)

IWasBored said:
live, dropkick murphys, radiohead all have new albums coming out in may and june. there's the warped tour this summer. right now i'm completly obsessed with bad religion and as of yesterday some stuff off greg graffin's solo album (graffin being the singer of bad religion). and i'll continue to scrub music recommendations off my friends, people who work at the sampus radio station, and people at interference.
I'm probably going to continue to scrub music recommendations off you. :wink:
REM is coming out this fall; I'll probably get back into them, and continue to fall in love with Coldplay. And I'll keep raiding the used racks at Strawberries to find something good I might have overlooked at one point or another.
I'll continue to cycle through my U2 CD's, and expand my bootleg collection.

Schmeg said:

REM is coming out this fall; I'll probably get back into them, and continue to fall in love with Coldplay. And I'll keep raiding the used racks at Strawberries to find something good I might have overlooked at one point or another.

Sound pretty much like what I'll end up doing. IWB has given some great insight to music and I will continue to pick her brain. I've been through this wait many times before in the past and it gives me chance to really go back and appreciate older and less listened to music from the guys.

Schmeg said:

That's also pretty much my schedule. I just bought tickets for an REM club date here in the Netherlands! :hyper: YEEHAA! Ten days after REM Coldplay will play a stadium-sized concert in the Netherlands (double bill with Live) so I'm thinking of going to that one too. And next Thursday (8 May) I'm going to see The Boss for a second time in little over 7 months (as I also saw Springsteen in the Ahoy in October).
And of course I'll continue to buy too many CD's, as usual. :)

C ya!

Marty (still :hyper: for going to see REM in a small club)

Salome said:
well, I don't know about you guys
but I'm going to invade a radiohead forum and have some fun of my own over there

see you in a few months!

careful if you go to atease.
they're vicious, and don't take kindly to u2 fans.
I split that place a year ago.:wave:

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
Sounds like you've got a great spring ahead of you Marty!

Yep! And in the excitement I forgot to say that I'm also going to see the Rolling Stones in August. So Springsteen, the Stones and REM, all in one year. :hyper:

C ya!

Marty

Back
Top Bottom