What they ALMOST did for the "Vertigo" video!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rachel D.

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Check out this article from @U2 and look at the pictures at the bottom:

http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=4004

Wouldn't that have been awesome! That would have been totally unlike anything they've ever done before. There's a link to an accompanying article at the very bottom that gives more info.

I think it would have been cooler than the video that they ended up with for this song, but that's just my opinion. It might have given people an unnecessarily dark first impression of the new album, however.

I really hope this version ends up on the Best Of 2000-2010 DVD so we can at least see it. Unless it leaks onto the internet somehow in the meantime...

Very, very interesting article. With lot of imagination, great special effects and good direction (these monsters and an atmosphere should be really DARK and frightening or else the video would look cheesy) it could look really good and uncommon. Though I still like very much the released vertigo video.

VertigoGal said:
Seems kinda cheesy to me. :reject:

Yep, same. It seems like it had way too much potential to be cheesy rather than awesome.

Whatever, they're not known for their music video-making abilities.

I love it how everyone says that and forgets exceptional videos like Streets, New Year's Day, Numb, Sweetest Thing, Please, Beautiful Day, SYCMIOYO ...

Not every video is like Elevation, folks!

well, ax, for every good video u2 has made there have been a bunch of bad ones.

i thought New Year's Day was a really lame video myself! i think they've been on a roll with the new singles -- All Because of You, Sometimes, and CoBL are really great ones.

One thing I was always proud of about U2 was the fact they made really bad video clips, and really nothing has changed in 25 years. They had the odd exception with HMTMKMKM.

All I Want is You, One, Streets, Staring at the Sun, Last Night On Earth, Beautiful Day, Stay and Lemon are all great videos by U2...

...and umm i also think Discotheque's video is brilliant:wink:

timothius said:
LJT, you uncharacteristically left out If God Would Send His Angels... :sad:

haha of course excellent video too...how could i forget my own avatar:wink:

Thanks for correcting my error Tim*bows*

A lot of people (and the band themselves) comment on how their videos have never been that good. I actually think that most of their 90's videos were very well done. I'm not so much a fan of the newer videos. Let us never speak of the Elevation Video again, that maybe the worst thing U2 ever did.

The Discotheque video I think is superb and perfect for the fun of pop. I do think some have dated better than others I think With Or Without You still looks good whilst I think Pride, UF and NYD have like a lot of videos aged pretty badly.

I think they could recognise a turkey when they saw one which is what this Vertigo vid looks like to me.

I'd also like to mention something nobody else has:
Stuck got not one but two great videos.

Who's Gonna RIde Your Wild Horses is a great video too, but bono mouthing fuck:wink:

nobody reads this

tarquinsuperb said:

I'd also like to mention something nobody else has:
Stuck got not one but two great videos.

:lmao:

:lol:

:laugh:

BWUAHAHAHAHAHAHAH... :lmao:

Oh... I hope you're joking...

ar at least that when you say "2 videos " you really mean 1...

really :angry:

I think their 90's videos were great, even though a couple of the pop ones look a bit rushed (no surprise there though). I watch the best of DVD all the time.

Some of the more recent ones are are a bit suss, ie elevation, but at least they're putting the effort in.

I remember hearing about the monsters and special effects before the video was released........so I was undoubtedly disappinted by the "Vertigo" clip....

BigMacPhisto said:
I remember hearing about the monsters and special effects before the video was released........so I was undoubtedly disappinted by the "Vertigo" clip....

There was some rumor about a "Good vs. Evil" thing that I remember. I thought, "Wow, this is gonna be a really cool video!" Too bad it ended up as just a performance video. Like all the others from this album. :down:

I first started liking U2 during the ATYCLB era, so I was halfway expecting (and hoping) the videos from HTDAAB to be more conceptual like the ones before it. But they're ALL performance videos! I agree with Anton Corbijn; he says he doesn't like performance videos.

(Speaking of Anton Corbijn, isn't his video for The Killers' "All These Things That I Have Done" totally awesome? That's the kind of video I like to see from U2.)

It's not just that it was a performance vid......it was a bad one at that. If they were going to do a straight performance, have the camera move around a lot more than that, get everyone excited........instead the band sits in big black circles.........only reason it won a Grammy was because the directors are such big names...

"Gradually we see that the band are creating their own vaporous monster"

Jeez, someone should tell the boys to lay off the baked beans!

Rachel D. said:

(Speaking of Anton Corbijn, isn't his video for The Killers' "All These Things That I Have Done" totally awesome? That's the kind of video I like to see from U2.)

He already did that with U2... check out the cover of the Joshua Tree and his Q magazine photoshoot. I didn't understand what the deal with the girls/prostitues/??? that was in that video. I would of liked it better without the weird story.

learn2kneel said:

He already did that with U2... check out the cover of the Joshua Tree and his Q magazine photoshoot. I didn't understand what the deal with the girls/prostitues/??? that was in that video. I would of liked it better without the weird story.

I'm not talking about the way they were dressed; just that they need to do more "weird" videos that aren't based on performance. Anyone can stand there and sing the song, but it takes creativity and imagination to do a conceptual video that actually goes well with the song and is also fun to watch.

I believe that if the video is hard to figure out, but still interesting and entertaining, then they did a good job with it. Like the videos for "One" and "All I Want is You" (which both happen to be Anton Corbijn's work). They keep your attention, even if you have no idea what is happening.

Re: nobody reads this

pepokiss said:

:lmao:

:lol:

:laugh:

BWUAHAHAHAHAHAHAH... :lmao:

Oh... I hope you're joking...

ar at least that when you say "2 videos " you really mean 1...

really :angry:

I was being serious.
Am I about to get shunned?
Despite it focusing on a Mickey Mouse sport I really like the American Football Video and the earlier European Video.

Back
Top Bottom