What songs would you want to see U2 drop from their live act?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by Hawkmoon1021:
Until The End...is great live, but I can see how some may tire of it. I think they played it at every show since Zoo TV & they always do that Bono/Edge duel thing. I thought it was great on this tour though...

I think they could freshen it up and do something besides the duel, but I need to hear it every tour!

Originally posted by ericb:
Until The End Of The World- great song, but I think it needs a rest for the next tour. They've been doing that bullfight thing during it on the last 3 tours, right?

Bullet The Blue Sky- again, great song, but why is this the only non radio hit song from the 80's that always remained in the setlist? I mean, at least a few others started making appearances on the last tour, like Out Of Control and 11 0'Clock Tick Tock, but there's so many other great songs that haven't been played in years. I'd like to see Trip Through Your Wires come back.

[This message has been edited by ericb (edited 03-12-2002).]

I just think Bullet is such a powerhouse of a song that it would be difficult to replace it. Trip is great and would be fun to hear, but isn't an adequate replacement for Bullet. I loved the Mark Chapman bit on leg 3 and think the song could continue to be a pivotal part of the show with an updated rap each tour.

STREETS has been played at every show since it was released and should be played at every show for the rest of their touring career....just for those opening notes chills.

Of course with new material coming out before another tour, some of these favorites will be taking a hiatus--it's just a question of which ones.

[This message has been edited by joyfulgirl (edited 03-12-2002).]

Streets
Wake Up Dead Man
Wild Honey
NYD
Pride
ISHFWILF

*for those about to flame -

It's only an opinion, only my opinion,
and I am and have been a huge fan for most of my cognitive life.
smile.gif

Actually, I dont have a problem with them dropping any of those choices HelloAngel. Except Streets???!!! How could you?? Quick, where is my blow torch!
wink.gif

I don't think any song is essential to a U2 show...any song that feels tired and overplayed should be dropped, even Streets, unless they can find new and interesting ways of playing them.

I'm particularly disappointed that they didn't wave goodbye to Sunday Bloody Sunday with the wonderful PopMart rendition. That version had a renewed emotion. Now it sounds dated and out of place.

It was also disheartening to see songs like the fresh update of the Fly dropped so songs like Pride can creep back onto the sets. At this stage in their career, do they really need to hit the road with a greatest hits album? Maybe the audience won't remember the words to anything from Boy but I Will Follow, but teach 'em Another Time, Another Place. Or A Sort of Homecoming, One Tree Hill, Your Blue Room, Acrobat, the Playboy Mansion...

I quite liked Sunday Bloody Sunday on the Elevation tour, actually.

Wave goodbye:

IALW
Stuck
Elevation
I Will Follow
With Or Without You
Desire
ISHFWILF
The Fly (Elevation version)
Pride

Say hello:

11 O'Clock Tick Tock
An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart
Love Is Blindness
Lemon (if possible!)
The Fly (Zoo TV version)
Dirty Day
Ultraviolet
Unforgettable Fire (this will never happen, but hey, it'd be great!)
HMTMKMKM

Stay or be shot:

UTEOTW
Streets
Discotheque/Staring At The Sun
One
Mysterious Ways
Beautiful Day
Stay
Gone

This thread is a perfect example of why U2 are never going to have a setlist everyone is completely happy with. Everybody has different songs they think should stay and go. I will just reiterate my numerous in the setlist critics threads in the past. There is NO WAY U2 can make everyone happy with the setlist, so why do so many have to bitch about it whenever a tour rolls around?

I guess the bottom line is the performance itself is the most important thing.

[This message has been edited by Blue Room (edited 03-12-2002).]

Originally posted by bonne voix:
I'd like U2 to drop some of the songs they've been playing far too much (UTEOTW, Elevation, BD, WOWY, Streets, BTBS)

Streets??!!??
eek.gif

BLASPHEMY!!

While I love the song, I could handle losing Streets for a few shows for myself. But whenever I bring someone with me who hasn't previously seen U2, Streets just has to be there - it's just so overpowering, and makes the power and beauty of U2 undeniable.

By the way, I believe the only show in which Until the End of the World was NOT played since its debut in Lakeland in 1992 was this year, Chicago 5/13/01 (Mother's Day, second night of four). At that show, Pride was moved up to the 3rd slot and UTEOTW was omitted.

Also, I believe Streets was not played at a couple Joshua Tree tour shows at which Stand By Me was used as the opener (Cork 8/8/87 and one or two others).

sv, you are correct on both counts regarding Streets and UTEOTW. I was at the 5-13-01 show and I didnt miss UTEOTW a bit. I think I would miss Streets though. Adam was quoted as saying though that he thinks they will probebly play Streets as long as they are playing live. I think it is the only song that is definately going to be a permanent fixture for the rest of their touring career.

I guess I could do without UTEOTW, but fer Christsake, keep Bullet and The Fly! Two of Edge's greatest guitar solos ever!

EBTTRT doesn't work as well live as on the album, methinks.

WTSHNN, like it or not, is an institution. Keep it in.

I like The Edge playing piano on New Year's Day, but I think it needs to go, too.

And Bad... I know this will probably get me booted off the board, but God bless 'em, they always seem to botch it somehow. My standards are higher here because it is by far my favorite U2 song, and I adore the studio version.

Originally posted by Auxtung Beibi:
I guess I could do without UTEOTW, but fer Christsake, keep Bullet and The Fly! Two of Edge's greatest guitar solos ever!

And Bad... I know this will probably get me booted off the board, but God bless 'em, they always seem to botch it somehow. My standards are higher here because it is by far my favorite U2 song, and I adore the studio version.

Definitely like the updated Fly better than the Zoo TV version...I'd like to hear Zoo Station again as well, I'm curious where they would put it in though...

I, of course, think Bad was made to be played live but I think they should lower the key like they did with SBS so it's more in line with Bono's voice now. He does struggle with it more than he used to, but he can still put it across. Maybe they should try it acoustic next time.

Was it me or was bad shortened as the tour went on? It would be great if they gave it the full 10 minute live aid type treatment now and then.

Whatever though, I hope they keep mixing it up and throw in a few rare gems.

At any U2 show I am just glad and feel blessed I could attend, however, I have heard a few songs a few too many times and it could make way for some other gems.

Out:

Pride
New Years Day
Desire
Wake Up Dead Man
Still Havent Found What Im Looking For
Even Better than the Real Thing

In:

Unfire
Twilight
11:00 Tick Tock
Sort of Homecoming
One Tree Hill
Running to Stand Still

and I would be chuffed to hear Heartland I really would
smile.gif

PS - a U2 concert would almost cease to be a U2 concert without Streets. Surely anyone who has seen them live would see this!!

------------------
"we're free to fly the crimson sky...the sun won't melt our wings tonight..."

If it were up to me...
One
Mysterious ways
Stuck in a moment
Angel of Harlem
When love comes to town
Even Better then the real thing
and last but not least the accoustic segment would neve r be played again. They may play One but only in the first half of the show like during Zoo TV.

Any show without WOWY is NO show at all. That song made me a U2 fan. It's absence was the reason why 3rd leg shows sucked.

Originally posted by Muad'zin:
Any show without WOWY is NO show at all. That song made me a U2 fan. It's absence was the reason why 3rd leg shows sucked.

Actually, I disagree.
smile.gif
WOWY was the song that made me a U2 fan as well, and it's probably still my favorite song and will always be...but after having seen it live a few times, I would say that it could be dropped from the setlist. It's a great song, but it's never done justice live, imo.

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
Actually, I disagree.
smile.gif
WOWY was the song that made me a U2 fan as well, and it's probably still my favorite song and will always be...but after having seen it live a few times, I would say that it could be dropped from the setlist. It's a great song, but it's never done justice live, imo.

I love the studio version of WOWY & sonically I don't think it can be topped live, but it is a great performance piece. Check out the Sydney video & the new DVD for further proof...

out:
new year's day
new york
beautiful day
stay
pride
ISHFWILF
i will follow
out of control
angel of harlem
desire
bad
kite
stuck in a moment

in:
hmtmkmkm
dirty day (listen to the sydney zoo tv live version: fantastic!)
red hill mining town
staring at the sun
last night on earth

essentials imo:
streets
BTBS
until the end of the world
one
wowy
elevation
the fly (elevation tour version)
gone
mysterious ways
SBS

I don't think anyone has mentioned that U2 should begin playing Electric Co. again.

Wow, that song has amazing energy live! I was listening to an excellent soundboard version from 1981 from NYC and the opening guitar riff gives you goosebumps.

Also, they should regularly play Out of Control - another fantastic live song.

I'd rather U2 switch up their set lists then drop permanently songs from the next tour. If we could get different set lists each night (not just one or two songs) that would be such a treat. It'll never happen, though.

karl

Oh I didnt notice we were picking songs we'd like to see back in action(or played at all):

When I Look at The World
The Fly (assuming is has been dropped again)
Ultraviolet
Do You Feel Loved
Please (electric and practiced)
God Part II
11 0'Clock Tick Tock (the whole damned tour)
Gloria
One Tree Hill
Stories for Boys

Confession;

New york is the one song I seem to skip a lot when I put on the DVD.

It is a good song. It is just not a great song. Take it out and let the world in on a long lost forgotten jem, ...Drowning Man.

I also miss the Bullet-Running combo. Running to Stand Still should make a comeback next tour.

Geesh, I took one out and put two in.
biggrin.gif

------------------
"Pull the trigger on a rock n' roll ****** bigger than Jesus on a bumper sticker!" -Bono, Bullet the Blue Sky.

I wouldn't mind if they dropped Bad on the next tour & replaced it with The Unforgettable Fire. I think it would sound good with Bono's falsetto...

Originally posted by Hawkmoon1021:
I wouldn't mind if they dropped Bad on the next tour & replaced it with The Unforgettable Fire. I think it would sound good with Bono's falsetto...

Dude, Bono's voice dropped out so much on the last tour I was surprised he could hit the lows on With or Without You
wink.gif

Originally posted by karl:
I don't think anyone has mentioned that U2 should begin playing Electric Co. again.

Wow, that song has amazing energy live! I was listening to an excellent soundboard version from 1981 from NYC and the opening guitar riff gives you goosebumps."

Without a doubdt! At the beginning of Elevation Electric Co was one of the songs I picked that would be a dream come true if they played. It would have worked great as well on the Elevation tour. Sadly I dont think we will ever hear them play it live again. But you never know, 11 O'Clock Tick Tock shocked me when they played it at Irving Plaza and later on in the tour.

[This message has been edited by Blue Room (edited 03-15-2002).]

the whole acoustic thing.....breaks momentum. (ground b., desire, Stay (but I like it)

I Will Follow --
Bullet -- pointless
Sunday BS --tired
With or Without you (DVD version is proof)
Pride (bono's voice is too fragile)
Mysterious Ways -- too weak live
Stuck (good club song, but not arenas)

Right now I'd just be happy knowing they were going to ever tour again, and they could play whatever they wanted, even Trip Through Your Wires over and over...

Assuming a normal touring schedule, I'd like to see the following dropped:

I Will Follow
New Years Day
Bullet the Blue Sky
WOWY (I think it has been dropped but just in case!)
I Still Havent Found What Im Looking For
Pride (in the Name of Love)
Mysterious Ways

Maybe:

Until the End of the World

Back
Top Bottom