What songs were previously discarded?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
I read somewhere that "City Of Blinding Lights" was a song they worked on during the Pop era...

Now I heard SNL's little clip of "All Because of You" and Bono says "This is a new old one..." is ABOY, a song they left behind?

What other songs are like this?

theu2fly said:
I read somewhere that "City Of Blinding Lights" was a song they worked on during the Pop era...

Now I heard SNL's little clip of "All Because of You" and Bono says "This is a new old one..." is ABOY, a song they left behind?

It's a new song designed to sound like The Who (an old band). So that is what Bono means. It's a new song but it has a very old feel to it.

Cheers,

J

Lot of songs came from the ATYCLB sessions. Love and Peace or Else, Original of the Species, Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own(without the falsetto chorus).
City of Blinding Lights was an Pop outtake at first.

djerdap said:
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own(without the falsetto chorus).

Wasn't Sometimes you can't make it on your own written after Bono's father died and Bono and Edge played it on his funeral?

theu2fly said:

ABOY sounds very similar to "Blow Your House Down", which the band was playing around with during the Rattle And Hum sessions.

"Wake Up Dead Man" was written 3 or 4 years before Pop was released. I'm sure there are other examples, just can't think of them a present.

U2girl said:

Wasn't Sometimes you can't make it on your own written after Bono's father died and Bono and Edge played it on his funeral?

No, in the dvd that came in the special edition HTAAB, Bono says that the song was around before his father died.

financeguy said:
"Wake Up Dead Man" was written 3 or 4 years before Pop was released. I'm sure there are other examples, just can't think of them a present.

Bono can be heard singing "wake up dead man" as early as 1990 in the Axtung Beibi Out-takes. WUDM definitely took a while to develop.

All the the songs whose names appear on the front cover of zooropa (including hold me thrill me kiss me kill me) but weren't released until later

theu2fly said:
What about the POP sessions?

B-side for Stuck Big girls are best was first started back then. Also, I think Velvet dress started in the Zooropa sessions.

Last edited:
Sometimes was known as Tough back from the ATYCLB sessions.

But it was about his dad, so I think the new version of the song wrote itself after his dad died.

Tough appeared on one of those boards as far back as then 99/00? The ones with all the song titles. So it has been around for a long time, it just changed as many songs do.

ImOuttaControl said:
All songs from the Zooropa sessions but ended up on POP:
Wake Up Dead Man
Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
If God Will Send His Angels

HMTMKMKM was on the Batman Forever soundtrack, bud.:wink:

could it be, that SUPER CITY MANIAC (first mentioned during the POP sessions) turned into COBL ???

theu2fly said:

The POP era?? It doesn't seem to be in any way related to the sort of material they were working on at that time. IMO it seems to be an ATYCLB leftover.

jacobus said:
could it be, that SUPER CITY MANIAC (first mentioned during the POP sessions) turned into COBL ???

Super City Mania became Miami.

The music for COBL indeed was first started during the Pop sessions, there's a quote somewhere about that. However, it didn't fit with what they were creating at the time and they kept it for later use.

Ellay said:
All the the songs whose names appear on the front cover of zooropa (including hold me thrill me kiss me kill me) but weren't released until later

what do you mean 'are on the front cover of zooropa?'
:eyebrow:

Under all the craziness of the cover, u can see words from the titles of the songs

example: ISSMEKILL...

Back
Top Bottom