What Songs Are Missing From "The Complete U2"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All I can think of is

Early pre-Boy stuff(though a few of them were there)
Some MDH tracks
ALL covers(Dancing Barefoot, Everlasting Love, Unchained Melody, Satellite Of Love, Night And Day, Fortunate Son, Paint It Black, Can't Help Falling In Love, etc)
In The Name Of The Father Bono/Gavin tracks(In The Name Of The Father, Billy Boola)

If we're saying In The Name Of The Father, then we should say the Captive soundtrack. Not really U2--just Edge.

Also, another Bono/Gavin collaboration: Children Of The Revolution from Moulin Rouge. I don't think that's in there, but I don't have the set & I'm not looking at the list right now, so I may be wrong.

The demo of a song known as Be There didn't make it.

Nor Womanfish - and unlike Be There, both Womanfish and Wild Irish Rose were aired publicly (Womanfish live on an Irish TV show; Wild Irish Rose's studio version was on a documentary).

She's A Mystery To Me also didn't make it.

Axver said:
Nor Womanfish - and unlike Be There, both Womanfish and Wild Irish Rose were aired publicly (Womanfish live on an Irish TV show; Wild Irish Rose's studio version was on a documentary).

She's A Mystery To Me also didn't make it.

Did U2 record a studio version of that? I know they wrote it and play it live from time to time, and that Roy Orbison recorded it, but did U2 record it?

I checked the flood of remixes after someone sent me 'Lemon - Lemonade Mix'...where was this track from originally??

gareth brown said:
I checked the flood of remixes after someone sent me 'Lemon - Lemonade Mix'...where was this track from originally??

It came on a 2 track promo CD. The disk is yellow with no liner and contains a full 6 minute version ('Lemonade Mix) and a 4 minute edit (Lemonade Edit).

There are 4 disks in the set - each with the same design as the Zooropa disk (the 'interference' design) and most have exclusive mixes/edits.

- Lemon - Lemonade Mixes (yellow)
- Zooropa - Edit (green)
- Numb - Edit and Album Version (red)
- Stay - Album Version (blue)

namkcuR said:
Did U2 record a studio version of that? I know they wrote it and play it live from time to time, and that Roy Orbison recorded it, but did U2 record it?

Yes, U2 did record a version of Mystery Girl - at Sun Studios back in '88. It's mentioned in a book from that period - probably the Rattle & Hum companion book.

Many years ago a guy at a record fair was offering a bootleg with the original unreleased Sun Studios versions of Angel of Harlem, When Love Comes to Town, Mystery Girl, Love Rescue Me and a fifth track (Jesus Christ maybe?). It was well out of my price range at that time and he wouldn't play it. I've never seen it again.

Clawgrabber, post up your email and I can send you Wild Irish Rose and Be There.

The Wild Irish Rose I have has the documentary woman's voice dubbed in two or three times. I'm not sure if there's a version without it.

Utoo said:
Clawgrabber, post up your email and I can send you Wild Irish Rose and Be There.

The Wild Irish Rose I have has the documentary woman's voice dubbed in two or three times. I'm not sure if there's a version without it.

There is. I have it.

namkcuR said:

There is. I have it.

Oh yeah? If you wouldn't mind, I'd love to get it. The one I've got is annoying with that lady talking over now and then.

Here's my new email for song trading, etc.: utooguy@gmail.com

Utoo said:

Oh yeah? If you wouldn't mind, I'd love to get it. The one I've got is annoying with that lady talking over now and then.

Here's my new email for song trading, etc.: utooguy@gmail.com

It's sent. Tell me if it is indeed the dub-free version you're looking for :wink:

namkcuR said:
It's sent. Tell me if it is indeed the dub-free version you're looking for :wink:

Yup, it is. Thanks! While the lady did have a cute accent, I prefer this version much more! :wink:

chocky said:

Yes, U2 did record a version of Mystery Girl - at Sun Studios back in '88. It's mentioned in a book from that period - probably the Rattle & Hum companion book.

Many years ago a guy at a record fair was offering a bootleg with the original unreleased Sun Studios versions of Angel of Harlem, When Love Comes to Town, Mystery Girl, Love Rescue Me and a fifth track (Jesus Christ maybe?). It was well out of my price range at that time and he wouldn't play it. I've never seen it again.

The sessions were in 1987, and are you sure about Love Rescue Me? I think they did a studio Can't Help Falling In Love. I have a studio cover of that from the JT era and I THINK it's from the Sun Studios sessions. I think Jesus Christ was done there too.

And namkcuR/Utoo: does this copy of Womanfish have Bono talking over the top of one verse, does it have that edited out, or is it the whole song, clean? I have the first two. I don't believe a complete, clean version of the song exists but if it does, I want to know about it. :drool:

Clawgrabber said:
what sessions is Be There From?

Be There is from an aborted 1982 session in the US. It ultimately evolved into All I Want Is You - I actually have an Out Of Control from March 1983 with Be There snippeted.

Oh, another two songs to include: Father Is An Elephant and Carry Me Home, both played live. There was also a song called Assaulted By Underpants, Bono said he wrote it, but whether it progressed beyond just lyrics and was ever recorded or rehearsed or soundchecked is unknown.

Axver, I wouldn't know about the Womanfish thing. Utoo and I swapped 'Wild Irish Rose', not 'Womanfish' :wink:

Oh, and the official studio Can't Help Falling In Love is on the WGRYWH single from 1992.

namkcuR said:
Axver, I wouldn't know about the Womanfish thing. Utoo and I swapped 'Wild Irish Rose', not 'Womanfish' :wink:

Oh, and the official studio Can't Help Falling In Love is on the WGRYWH single from 1992.

Did I write Womanfish? Oh, I did! :headdesk: Well, replace that with Wild Irish Rose!

That Can't Help Falling In Love is a Zoo era version though, isn't it? I have the one recorded during the JT years somewhere: I'll have to get it out and play it with the WGRYWH single version to see how similar they are.

This is good stuff you guys. I listen to the clips of the boxset songs almost on a dialy basis. I can't wait to get it(Mid October) but it's good to know what else I'll need to get. Axver I swear you have to be the biggest U2 fan in the history of mankind. Actually I'd bet money that you're the biggest of the biggest fans of any and all bands ever.:laugh:

Hallucination said:
This is good stuff you guys. I listen to the clips of the boxset songs almost on a dialy basis. I can't wait to get it(Mid October) but it's good to know what else I'll need to get. Axver I swear you have to be the biggest U2 fan in the history of mankind. Actually I'd bet money that you're the biggest of the biggest fans of any and all bands ever.:laugh:

Thank you, that's quite a mighty compliment there! I would like to thank school, for giving me time to waste on U2 fan sites; my Internet addiction, for keeping me firmly stuck on messageboards such as this; and my insane memory, for remembering all kinds of pointless information but forgetting what date it is and what shoe size I am.

Axver said:

Thank you, that's quite a mighty compliment there! I would like to thank school, for giving me time to waste on U2 fan sites; my Internet addiction, for keeping me firmly stuck on messageboards such as this; and my insane memory, for remembering all kinds of pointless information but forgetting what date it is and what shoe size I am.

WE tend to remember the things we care about and forget those we don't.:laugh:

The sessions were in 1987, and are you sure about Love Rescue Me? I think they did a studio Can't Help Falling In Love. I have a studio cover of that from the JT era and I THINK it's from the Sun Studios sessions. I think Jesus Christ was done there too.

The following songs were played at Sun Studios:

Trip Through Your Wires
When Love Comes To Town
Angel Of Harlem
Can't Help Falling In Love
She's A Mystery To Me

This is good stuff you guys. I listen to the clips of the boxset songs almost on a dialy basis. I can't wait to get it(Mid October) but it's good to know what else I'll need to get. Axver I swear you have to be the biggest U2 fan in the history of mankind. Actually I'd bet money that you're the biggest of the biggest fans of any and all bands ever.

I'm a bigger fan. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom