what song should u2 bring back on the next tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RickFly

Refugee
last tour they brought back songs such as eleven oclock tick tock, sunday bloody sunday (full band version), the fly, and out of control.

what should they bring back, or something they have never played for the next tour?

here are mine:
heartland
red hill
acrobat
the electric co.

WHAT ARE YOURS

I'd love it if Edge got to sing a song. Preferably "Seconds" or "Van Dieman's Land". But, I'm hoping there will be a song that Edge sings lead for on the new album. :up:

hold me thrill me kiss me kill me
all of discotheque not just the first two verses
do you feel loved
dirty day

they already brought back to life THE song to hear: OUT OF CONTROL!!!!!!!!!
I had enough of I Will Follow on every single tour (yes, on ZOO TV too, but sometimes). It's time for a change. I don't want to follow anymore, I want to get OUT OF CONTROL!!!!!!

In God's Country
Van Dieman's Land
Running to Stand Still
Please
Wild Horses
Two Hearts Beat as One
One Tree Hill
A Sort of Homecoming

It's pointless for U2 to bring back old songs. The more recent versions of Bad don't hold a candle to the older versions. No version of WOWY can touch the early `87 versions. It's just so pointless for U2 to relearn their old songs and bring them out of the closet. Their sorry version of A Sort Of Homecoming in the Elevation Tour is proof to this. Ditto for the Popmart Las Vegas Opening fiasco.

If anything, I'd rather have U2 practice their new album songs and bring all of them in for the next tour. It took U2 2-3 months to finally play Kite on tour, and maybe 2 legs before Wild Honey ever made an appearance. Maybe they finally learned Grace and When I Look At The World when the tour was all over.

U2 is notorious for being major slackers in their rehearsals. They don't practice the new songs enough, and just play them as the tour goes along. I'd rather have them practice on the current songs that they still remember how to play (as compared to relearning them), and also on giving the audience more of the new album. It would be a bad sign if U2 would just play 4 new album songs, then have the rest as a greatest hits tour.

Cheers,

J

hmtmkmkm
dirty day
gloria
like a song
in god's country
ultraviolet
mofo
if you wear that velvet dress
zoo station
god part II
electric co
even better than the real thing (although it was played a few times during the Elevation tour)

and, for the first time, lady with the spinning head
keep the fly
keep until the end of the world

drop in a little while, stuck in a moment, kite, stay, walk on

Nothing more than what's already been said:

HMTMKMKM
Last Night On Earth
ACROBAT!!!!
WGRYWH (acoustic maybe?)
Ultraviolet and/or Lady With a Spinning Head
One Tree Hill
Running To Stand Still
Please

jick said:
It's pointless for U2 to bring back old songs. The more recent versions of Bad don't hold a candle to the older versions. No version of WOWY can touch the early `87 versions. It's just so pointless for U2 to relearn their old songs and bring them out of the closet. Their sorry version of A Sort Of Homecoming in the Elevation Tour is proof to this. Ditto for the Popmart Las Vegas Opening fiasco.

If anything, I'd rather have U2 practice their new album songs and bring all of them in for the next tour. It took U2 2-3 months to finally play Kite on tour, and maybe 2 legs before Wild Honey ever made an appearance. Maybe they finally learned Grace and When I Look At The World when the tour was all over.

U2 is notorious for being major slackers in their rehearsals. They don't practice the new songs enough, and just play them as the tour goes along. I'd rather have them practice on the current songs that they still remember how to play (as compared to relearning them), and also on giving the audience more of the new album. It would be a bad sign if U2 would just play 4 new album songs, then have the rest as a greatest hits tour.

Cheers,

J

What a load of crap. Jick, I honestly dont know why you even consider yourself a fan. What is it exactly that you DO like about U2? You bitch about them 90% of the time.

There is only 1 tour that U2 was not prepared to play. That was Popmart. They has a similiar problem for Unf. Fire but still played very well on the first leg. U2 played the new songs very well for Elevation and rehearsed for 4 months prior to that tour. I also point to the Lovetown tour where they were arguebly better during the first leg than they were at the end of the tour. So not being ready to play for one single tour hardly makes them "notorious" for it. U2 are lazy in rehearsals??? I assume you are part of the studio crew or there is no way in hell you would even have any clue about what they are doing there. So that statement is also a load of crap. Most of your statement is factless. 4 new songs only?? What are you referring to there. U2 have ALWAYS played most of the new album they are touring for??? So there isnt even a trend for this. Its quite obvious that you just spew this BS to get a rise out of people. Thats fine, but its also rather pathetic that your life is so bad you need to get attention this way and people get tired of that act quickly.

Sorry for the rant, but I dont understand the mentality of someone that seldom has something good to say. Criticism is fine but when that is virtually all you do it is ridiculous. And if you are going to criticize at least back it up with facts rather than spewing complete BS.

Back on topic:
My choice would be Electric Co.

Blue Room said:

What a load of crap. Jick, I honestly dont know why you even consider yourself a fan. What is it exactly that you DO like about U2? You bitch about them 90% of the time.

There is only 1 tour that U2 was not prepared to play. That was Popmart. They has a similiar problem for Unf. Fire but still played very well on the first leg. U2 played the new songs very well for Elevation and rehearsed for 4 months prior to that tour. I also point to the Lovetown tour where they were arguebly better during the first leg than they were at the end of the tour. So not being ready to play for one single tour hardly makes them "notorious" for it. U2 are lazy in rehearsals??? I assume you are part of the studio crew or there is no way in hell you would even have any clue about what they are doing there. So that statement is also a load of crap. Most of your statement is factless. 4 new songs only?? What are you referring to there. U2 have ALWAYS played most of the new album they are touring for??? So there isnt even a trend for this. Its quite obvious that you just spew this BS to get a rise out of people. Thats fine, but its also rather pathetic that your life is so bad you need to get attention this way and people get tired of that act quickly.

Sorry for the rant, but I dont understand the mentality of someone that seldom has something good to say. Criticism is fine but when that is virtually all you do it is ridiculous. And if you are going to criticize at least back it up with facts rather than spewing complete BS.

Back on topic:
My choice would be Electric Co.

amen brother.:applaud:

Jick, WTF? i agree 100% with everyone on here. why are you wasting your time bad-mouthing u2 on here? U2 have so many songs in there grasp, over 20 years worth. its great when they bring back some old favorites to give something back to the true fans. JOFO and everyone here i agree with you. he needs to back them up with real facts. and yes i would love to hear electric. co..

Blue Room is my new best friend.

Electric Co is kick ass and I wouldn't mind Out of Control like last tour (I'm thinking of Bono's role playing during the televised Slane concert)

Sure there are old songs they will always play and never forget how to play (Streets, WOWY, Pride, etc.), but then every time a new album comes out, they don't immediately play all the songs. It took a while for U2 to finally play One Tree Hill in the JT Tour. In Elevation, it almost seemed like an eternity before they played Kite and Wild Honey. In Zoo TV, they never played a full version of So Cruel, and maybe only once or never for Acrobat.

So obviously, U2 have little rehearsal time. I would rather have them practice more new songs that revive old songs that we've already heard in other albums or bootlegs. As for the new songs, at least we will get to hear them live. It's not a good thing if U2 will keep on adding to their list of songs never played live.

My proposal, practice and learn and play EVERY song off the upcoming album, then if you got spare time, that's when to try to relearn some older song. But of course we all know that will never happen, and not every song from the new album will make it to the stage.

Cheers,

J

I have a full band full version of so cruel from a sound check on zootv.

and the bass line to please is in bflat minor.

by the way...this makes me long for a U2 concert...real bad. Don't you hate the fact that getting GA seats will either A) Cost you 5x what you paid last time (due to the new Ticketmaster auction selling), B) They be impossible to get?

jick said:
Sure there are old songs they will always play and never forget how to play (Streets, WOWY, Pride, etc.), but then every time a new album comes out, they don't immediately play all the songs. It took a while for U2 to finally play One Tree Hill in the JT Tour. In Elevation, it almost seemed like an eternity before they played Kite and Wild Honey. In Zoo TV, they never played a full version of So Cruel, and maybe only once or never for Acrobat.

So obviously, U2 have little rehearsal time. I would rather have them practice more new songs that revive old songs that we've already heard in other albums or bootlegs. As for the new songs, at least we will get to hear them live. It's not a good thing if U2 will keep on adding to their list of songs never played live.

My proposal, practice and learn and play EVERY song off the upcoming album, then if you got spare time, that's when to try to relearn some older song. But of course we all know that will never happen, and not every song from the new album will make it to the stage.

Cheers,

J

Um...it is rare for any rock band to play an entire album (or the majority of it) on tour, especially right off the bat. At least in the sense you mean where they work every song into the playlist regularly. Besides, I think your argument is rather weak. On the Elevation tour, at the shows I saw, U2 played (in their entirety) 8 out of the 11 songs on the album, and played roughly half of Peace on Earth, so we're talking about 9 out of 11 songs on the new album played live (Beautiful Day, Stuck, Elevation, Walk On, Kite, In A Little While, Wild Honey and New York are the others). That's pretty damn good if you ask me (oh, and by the way it only took them about a few months before Kite worked into the setlist regularly). I really don't get why you're whining so much - they ARE playing the new album material. Hell, on The ZooTV tour, didn't they start out playing 7 straight off the new album before even touching their back catalog?

In summation, your argument is pretty weak, jick.

Last edited:
Hawkmoon
Acrobat and So Cruel [played once each or in a soundcheck]

anything from October. I know its not the band's best album but it should not be the bastard child in the attic album. What about Threw a Brick? Gloria? the new Tomorrow?

I'm seeing a lot of great U2 songs that I would love to hear again. However, I haven't really seen much mention of one obvious fact: a lot of these songs Bono probably couldn't sing nearly as well as he used to, if at all. Red Hill Mining Town he couldn't sing on the Joshua Tree Tour. Wild Horses is my pick as U2's second best song, but it never sounded right even at Zoo TV (based on the recordings I've heard). Bono lost his ability to hit the notes in WOWOY early on during Popmart, and it sounded even worse when Elevation came around. By the time Elevation began, Bono further changed the way he was singing Bad ("let it go" he can't hit the notes on), New Years Day (much lazier sounding than ever), and others that previously sounded great. Pride, IWF, Sunday Bloody Sunday were all extremely slowed down, especially by the end of the tour. 11 o'clock was at such a snails pace that it hurts to listen to it, though Out of Control worked at a slower pace. And the feable return of A Sort of Homecoming at Slane was one of the most depressing things I've ever heard from the band.

I'm not trying to bash the band to pieces here. I saw them late in the elevation tour, and it was incredible. All I'm saying is that the list of songs in their arsenal is probably limited based on the condition of Bono's voice. Realistically, what would Gloria sound like? Would Electric Co. be as sluggish as other Boy era songs? It'll be interesting to see how they approach their next tour, especially with Bono saying that the next album will be more focused on what the Edge is doing . . .

Running To Stand Still, Exit and In God?s Country.

Jick, a band who knew how to play All Along The Watchtower a few minutes before the concert would easily learn how to play Wild Honey or ATYCLB stuff.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom