What song do you think that U2 plays better than ever?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2387 said:
... a notch below popmart.

I think you are possibly the first person on this forum to say that Popmart Pride is not the lowest point in U2's live history. :wink:

I think that version was just so flat. Bono wanted to remove it from the setlist before the tour, and although the rest of the band talked him into it, you can tell he didn't want to be singing it by his completely lacklustre delivery. Sure, he had vocal troubles that tour, but he was still kicking out great versions of songs like LNOE and UTEOTW and Please, so his singing on Pride is inexcusable. Edge's guitar tone was all wrong too - the only time I think the guitar tone on live Pride has even approached its crisp and ringing studio quality is early UF, Old Grey Whistle Test in 1987, and Vertigo. I remember the first time I heard the RAH version - at the time, Pride was one of my favourite U2 songs and my disappointment with how bad that performance was contributed to the decline of Pride in my song rankings.

And come on, it's missed all of about 10 concerts since its debut in 1984. I think it could use a rest live. It's a big sing-along, but U2 aren't exactly short of other songs that can fill that role just as effectively.

The Fly sounded awesome on the first 3 legs of the Vertigo Tour. In 2006 Larry's drumming got lazier (so I understand why some people refer to it as "clumsier"), but still good. Some amazing versions are from Chicago V and Atlanta I (3rd leg).

The Electric Co. and Kite are the other two obvious answers. Zoo Station sounded awesome as well, especially on the 2nd leg (the Copenhagen version is a monster).

Axver said:

I think you are possibly the first person on this forum to say that Popmart Pride is not the lowest point in U2's live history. :wink:

I think that version was just so flat. Bono wanted to remove it from the setlist before the tour, and although the rest of the band talked him into it, you can tell he didn't want to be singing it by his completely lacklustre delivery. Sure, he had vocal troubles that tour, but he was still kicking out great versions of songs like LNOE and UTEOTW and Please, so his singing on Pride is inexcusable. Edge's guitar tone was all wrong too - the only time I think the guitar tone on live Pride has even approached its crisp and ringing studio quality is early UF, Old Grey Whistle Test in 1987, and Vertigo. I remember the first time I heard the RAH version - at the time, Pride was one of my favourite U2 songs and my disappointment with how bad that performance was contributed to the decline of Pride in my song rankings.

And come on, it's missed all of about 10 concerts since its debut in 1984. I think it could use a rest live. It's a big sing-along, but U2 aren't exactly short of other songs that can fill that role just as effectively.

I think you should check the Popmart Mexico City Pride. I can't speak for the enitre tour, but that version there was better than alot of Vertigo tour versions. The vertigo versions of pride did not get better until Bono got his voice back for the Australia/Japan/Pacific leg of the tour. I saw them on both tours, Foxboro for Popmart and Boston for Vertigo and I can't say one performance of pride topped the other. The R&H version was far from bad, it was the last time Bono went all out on this song and didn't hold back the band any. I'll take it over vertigo versions any day. I think this song needs to rotate as opposed to be played every night, (like UTTEOTW rotated w/fly,etc) but not dropped completely.

not right at all. Pride on ther vertigo tour was posibly the best it ever sounded and Bono was pretty consitant I have yet to hear a bad version vocally. Anf RAH pride is not good its sounds nothing like the original because Bono just yells and doesnt hold the notes.

Its in the Naaaaaaaaaaaaaame of loooooove not In the name of love

Jdelbove said:
not right at all. Pride on ther vertigo tour was posibly the best it ever sounded and Bono was pretty consitant I have yet to hear a bad version vocally. Anf RAH pride is not good its sounds nothing like the original because Bono just yells and doesnt hold the notes.

Its in the Naaaaaaaaaaaaaame of loooooove not In the name of love

I dont want to start a fight at all, dont take me wrong, I'm new to this forum. If I'm not making any sense at all, you or someone else please tell me, I'm not the stubborn type. This is how I analyze it: I just watched RAH pride and he holds naaaaaaaaaaaaaaame and loooooooooooove in that performance. Also, if you watch Larry, hes going much faster and actually pulling his arms up and getting more power- because Bono was able to keep up with him. Ever since then, with the exception of last leg vertigo, he has had to slow the beat down significantly. Popmart was by no means a spectacular performance, but I honestly do not think that the Vertigo performances were great until late 2006.(namely december 4, Japan, it was a SOLID performance) So I'll give you that, Vertigo had some great versions, some of the best since the 1980s. But they didnt top rattle and hum or the unforgettable fire/consp of hope era. Last leg vertigo Pride certainly topped Zoo TV.

Any early U2 song (ie from the first 3 albums) can't be underserviced in concert. I'd say Sunday Bloody Sunday and 40, but I'd hope to add for the upcoming tour, "The Drowning Man" and "Like a Song" to that list.

Back
Top Bottom