What should U2 do about this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Soar

War Child
It would appear that most of these problems were caused by U2’s record company, ITunes, official website, fanfire, ticketmaster, etc. However, U2 did hire these companies. What should U2 do about this? Does U2 want to lose loyal longtime fans? Does U2 want allow “bad blood” to fester and linger so that situations like fans meeting the band before or after concerts: “Great concert Bono! I was on the floor but I had to pay $300 for it from a scalper since the u2 organization screwed me over.” What should U2 do about this?

1. An apology by the Band and McGuinness?
2. A gift to Propaganda members? I imagine that they have hundreds of unreleased “b-sides” and thousands of live tracks. How about grab a dozen of them and put them on a Propaganda Members Only CD? Or a DVD of the something like the three Manray, Irving Plaza, and the Astoria mini Club concerts or something else? Or a 33 % discount off of Anton Corbijn’s new book U2 And I or off of the new book Bono: In Conversation? Or all 3 gifts together? Make the announcement, slap it together, and have it sent out before the Tour begins?
3. I’d imagine this would still not satisfy all of those who completely lost out on tickets or are stuck in the nosebleeds. Maybe just send every member 2 special GA tickets (and show up with your u2.com card?)
for any concert and at face value (and refund or convert those who were stuck with crappy seats)?
4. Come up with an entirely different Propaganda system for the 3rd and 4th legs?
5. A free internet access to the opening night concert in San Deigo for members only (free of glitches unlike the Notre Dame concert)?
6. Address the mp3s, lyrics, itunes, and other issues?

Earlier Issues

1. The pulling of people from the back of the line for the Heart in Boston. No communication or explanation from U2 through u2.com.
2. Permitting GA hogs, place holding, taking off to a hotel and then coming back.
3. No announcement to Prop members that in the future it will change. In the first place, is it a good idea to have fans line up for 12 hours before a concert? A lottery system just before the doors open? Some other system?
4. What was the number? 2 issues of Prop in the last 6 years!
5. The Prop book was not offered as a thank you, farewell, and a compensation for unmet issues or at least at a gift discount.

Current Issues

1. The rare and unreleased songs were not made available for individual or single disc download. No communication or explanation from U2 through u2.com.
2. The collectors edition did not come with a lyric booklet.
3. The collectors edition was $40 whereas the cd/dvd was $12. The only difference being a book and a very small and short book. And oh the bonus track Fast Cars.
4. U2 mp3s ordered and forced off and mp3s stopped from being distributed on u2 fan sites! No communication or explanation from U2 through u2.com. Many of the songs that were being requested were out of print or songs that would have cost $50 or more for one song or a couple songs! Besides being from fans who have already spent thousands on U2 and that mp3s allows people to “test drive” them and then encouraged to purchase (what can be purchased) them. Or at least allow individual songs to be downloaded at ITunes for 99 cents. The rest of the songs not available in the U2 ITunes Collection could be encoded in such a way that can’t transferred and then hosted on u2 fan sites. I imagine the technology exists and we know for sure that u2 has the wealth. Something else?
5. U2 lyrics ordered and forced to be taken down from u2 fan sites! No communication or explanation from U2 through u2.com. And then these sites were never given a response regarding obtaining permission to re-host them.
6. U2.com re-launch with “bugs” and more bugs.
7. Thousands of people not getting their u2.com cards at all or not in a timely manner.
8. Has anyone got the Christmas u2.com key chains?
9. Double billing of subscriptions.
10. 2 tickets for only 1 concert which is worse than the old Propaganda offer.
11. Sebastian Clayton “laughing” at u2 fans complaints and then saying that “we’re
just passing on (the expenses) to them.”
12. Not informing members if their pre-sale code was only good for the Legs 1&2 or all 3 Legs.
13. Scalpers having tickets and advertising them on ebay before the presale and immediately after it!
14. The pre-sale complete fiasco and utter disaster. No GAs available instantly! and the audacity to even offer nosebleeds to longtime loyal fans who paid for u2.com memberships.
15. U2.com Zootopia crashing
16. 7 hours later u2.com responds. And still no full response.
17. If many fans are not going to be able to get GAs for all of the concerts that they will be attending and they are definitely not going to purchase the $165 seats then a Tour Conference Announcement could have been made which described some of the details of the Show. If U2 is going to be using some radically new and spectacular sound, lighting, stage systems then fans may see why it’s worth spending $100 on “regular” seat.

Last edited:
I should note that these issues are not my issues. Just issues that we all have read from other fans. My point is not to rehash them or even dwell on them. I would like to see a discussion that throws out some steps and solutions that the U2 organization could take immediately and in the near future. I just find it sad that a U2 World Tour (and maybe their last huge one) gets off on an unfortunate footing. Do we really want to see U2 possibly avoiding meeting with fans on the Tour or see some sort of protests at concerts?

Could they reasonably and contractually postpone the 1st Leg, do arenas in N.A. in the Fall, and then do stadiums in N.A. next Spring?

Last edited:
1. Why an apology from the band and what does Itunes have to do with this?

2.Propaganda is no more plus they had their own issues, they lost track of many memberships, had issues with tickets, etc.

3.Don't think theres that many GA tickets.

4.Right becasue with the tour, I'm sure they have plenty of time to come up with a new plan. What are they going to do, they pretty much have to go through TM and that's where most of the problems lie.

5.Free of glitches? Haven't heard of many internet broadcasts that work that way.

6.Explain please.

Earlier issues

1.Let by gones be by gones.

2.How can U2 do anything about this, who cares?

3-5 who cares?

Current issues

1.Why do you need explanation from the band on everything? You have no clue what the future brings. If you're that pissed go and download them illegally and really show them.:|

2.You can download it.

3-17 Most of these sound like petty bitches. Most bands go through the same BS. You can't blame for websites crashing. The ticket prices aren't that much different than last time around. Scalpers found a way into TM's system(sucks but it's TM's problem) what is U2 suppose to do about it, beat all these guys up?

I'm so tired of hearing people complain about the fact that they can't get the unreleased tunes from the U2 digital box set separtely. Did you also complain about not being able to get "The Hands that Built America" as a single? The only difference between the two is one of volume. If you're willing to buy the Best Of sets for the new material, what's your problem with buying the box set for the same?

And as for pulling the mp3s off fan sites - you are stealing them if you download them without paying for it.

Back
Top Bottom