What should be U2's closing song in their farewell concert?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dublin, Ireland: U2 sings "40" as final encore, thanks audience & leaves stage. Audience breaks into spontaneous a cappella rendition of All I Want is You, but changes lyrics to 'all WE want is you". Repeats until band comes back out & annouces after a quick backstage meeting, they've unanimously voted to NEVER QUIT!!!!!!
:) :up:

I saw bono in an interview saying love is blindnes would be the last song they ever play live.

Jim said:
He said in an interview during Popmart that the 'last song' would be 'Amazing Grace'

:up:

When we've been here ten thousand years...
bright shining as the sun.
We've no less days to sing God's praise...
then when we've first begun.

Singing with U2 for eternity! :up:

one followed by until the end of the world with the loudest distortioned noise & feed-back that can be made at the end

Actually I think I remember the love is blindness quote as well, I can't remember in what context though

I don't think Amazing Grace would be fitting since it will probably be only sung acapella. U2's last song should be a full band song. Perhaps Yaweh will be such a moving song that it will be a fitting last song for the band. Either that or 40 or One I guess.

Cheers,

J

Here's my idea:

The main set ends with 'One'

Crowd cheers for five minutes

The band comes back out, Bono says:

"Thanks, thanks for givin' us a great life...I know I say that all the time, but, but we mean it from the bottom of our hearts you made us what we are and, and we can't really put into words what you've meant to us, over the years, putting up with all our BS, sticking with us, givin' us the chance keep making the music we wanted to make and always embracing it the way you have...we can't put it into words but we can sure as hell try to put it into music, so, this is Acrobat"...

Acrobat

Edge and Adam switch instruments, while Larry keeps the beat going, and Bono says

"in case we didn't get it right with that, try this...for the last time, sing this with me, this is 40"

At this point, with the crowd still chanting 'how long', Bono says that Larry would like to address the crowd

Larry: Thanks a lot, guys...when I posted that note at Mount Temple...I couldn't, in my wildest dreams, imagine that it would be the beginning of all this...I never imagined I'd dress in drag for a music video...or get to swim with an actress playing a mermaid for a music video...I never imagined I'd sing dirty old town in front of god knows how many people...on the other hand, I never in my wildest dreams imagined that Bono could take his stupid mullet and make a fashion trend out of it, so what did I know. What I did imagine, though, was that if I ever did get to be in a band, that we'd have decent fans. Seems I was one-upped in that big-time, 'cause you guys are the greatest f**king fans in the world, so...I just wanted to say thank you for all of that. Goodnight.

The rest of the band waves and says goodnight as they walk off the stage, and the crowd keeps chanting 'how long' while similtaniously cheering, and for ten minutes the houselights remain off...finally, the band re-emerges, and without saying a thing, they gently drift into the first, last, and only ever performance of

Always Forever Now(from Passengers)

at the song's conclusion, after moaning the words 'always forver now' for the last time, instead of saying 'goodnight', Bono says 'goodbye'

The band walks off the stage, houselights turn on, end of show.

For those that lack understanding where symbolism is concerned, they play 'always forever now' as if to imply that their music will be with the fans forever.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom