What should be U2's closing song in their farewell concert?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Actually, I don't think there would be a choice AT ALL in the matter, if we're being honest.

Because no matter how they end their last concert, as soon as they get off the stage you will hear the single most insistent chant for 40 in the history of encores. There is simply no way that U2 could ignore this. It would draw them back on stage one last tiime. Can you image the lumps in their collective throats at that moment?

i reckon 40
i can just see it in my head - as the band leave the stage the crowd just keep on singing... "how long to sing this song, how long..." this huge chorus of voices singing as the lights go down and into the darkness...

when it happens, whatever they sing, itll be a pretty sad and poignant moment...

the thought of this breaks my heart

Last edited:
I think Kite is a bad idea. Kite says "I know that this is not goodbye" but being a finale concert for U2, it IS goodbye because they'll never perform as a band ever again. So Kite wouldn't be a good idea.

Cheers,

J

'40'
Walk On
or
Out Of Control

'40' because its a tradtional closer....or should i say WAS tradional ;)

Walk On becuase its a great closer

Out Of Control...because bono could do hours of talking the middle of the song hahah...and first single, last live preformance....i'd go with out of control as my pick for a last live song.

alternativly i would say thier final song should be bad with loads of snippets (perhaps incorporate amazing grace) and finish on 40

just slightly off topic, why did they name the song 40?

Interesting topic

I dont think they would end with "One" It just seems to depressing to end on.

Lets not forget, U2 is a rock and roll band. They should, IMO, choose to end on a rockin song, like Pride, Beautiful Day, Out Of Control, or maybe even UTEOTW.

Yeah, they might come out and finish with 40 or WTSHNN, but they should leave on a kick ass song that says "We are U2, the greatest rock band ever"

Oh and to answer your question burns, "40" refers to Psalm 40, which the song describes

Last edited:
starsgoblue said:
I want to post a poll between "40" and "Streets"....I can't figure out how to do it though....do I need to be premium?

The wheels are turning but you're upside down
You say when he hits you you don't mind...
Oh now, is that what it is

I was never a big fan of 40 until I saw them play it at the Astoria.

It was an incredible performance (sadly let down by the bootleg recording) and we kept it going for ages after they'd left..

Although it's recieved some stick, I have to say that I though Walk On was a great ending to the elevation concerts..

I always though Wake up dead man during popmart was a total anti climax, anyone else agree?

ripoff alert!!!!!!!

starsgoblue said:
I want to post a poll between "40" and "Streets"....I can't figure out how to do it though....do I need to be premium?
$12 is necessary ja

maybe october would be cool

My choise would be WHO'S GONNA RIDE YOUR WILD HORSES...

At least, it fits... it's a rocking and sad song... it works...

then, when everyone's specting for more but know they can't get any... Edge starts the WTSHNN intro... beign that an "extra" song, not on the set list paper

... well..., WGRYWH is my choice (at least to be in the final concert and even better on the last encore)

Pepo

Actually Bono once said on TFI in 1997 that the final song he would play would be "Amazing Grace". I was watching the interview the other night!

Hmmm...

it's about the end of a love affair

good metaphor...

lines like "Don't you look back," "Who's gonna take the place of me?" God knows U2 fans are "dangerous because [we're] honest"... Nope, still say 40 into streets and in my dreams The Wanderer

cseggleton said:
Miami would be a great one to end it on :)

Haha, that'd be great... totally random...I love Miami :D

Can't you just imagine them being like "So this is our last song..." and playing MIAMI... I'm sorry but I think that'd be priceless :laugh: then they could leave with everyone being all confused and then Bono could come back on stage and go "uh...just kidding!" and they'd do the Bad-40-Streets thing that works so brilliantly...and then One, the greatest song ever written. Ever.

And then after One they could do a bit of 40 again as they walk off stage...just like they used to... and then just leave while the crowd sings it and cries and everything. Oh I'm crying just thinking about how totally sad and beautiful it would be :sad:

Back
Top Bottom