what should be 2nd single ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

geeman

The Fly
any thoughts of what should be relased as single # 2 ? I would prefer Original of The Species

I think Original Of The Species will be the 3rd single....

Id bet they put out a second "rocker" so my bet is All Because Of You.

I think that we're going to see A Manand A Woman as a single. It wouldn't surprise me.

As for second singe: SYCMIOYO

I think All Because Of You should be the third single and the second single should be something a little slower... maybe Sometimes, though it's such a personal song and it may start off too mellow for commercial radio. And I think it's too good. I don't wanna hear a bunch of kids attempt to sing the falsetto chorus and fail horribly e_e Original of the Species is wonderfully catchy, and one of the best songs on the album, easy to sing along to... I'd go with that.

Or they could do something completely off-the-wall like Love and Peace or Else... :drool: that'd be so boss. they'd probably cut off the intro if it was on radio though, and I love the intro.

The thing is almost every one of these songs could be singles. The only ones I can't see are One Step Closer and Yahweh. OSC is too slow for radio and Yahweh is too blatantly religious - I think the title of the song alone rules it out. Still, it's certainly
good enough for radio.

I really think U2 should get City of Blinding Lights out there as soon as possible, while the releases are still a 'big deal', not that tailing off bands experience once they get to the fourth and fith releases - COBL has the same epic-U2esque qualities as Where the Streets Have no Name.

Nicholas

zoou2@hotmail.com

Sleep Over Jack said:
Crumbs is a fine song, but it doesn't scream "single" to me.

I'd say the same about Please.
U2 has a knack for having some odd choices for singles.
But (heavy sigh) I love them any ways

2. All Because Of You
3. City Of Blinding Lights
4. Miracle Drug
5. A Man And A Woman

i think they're gonna do the individual band shots thing for the singles again, but AMAAW will kinda not fit and will just have a drawing of none other than a man and a woman on the front.

I have a good feeling that Sometimes will be the second single.

On the basis that on the special edition box set of Htdaab they are promoting the shit out of that and Vertigo. So makes sense that they would both be singles.

I'm pretty sure "Sometimes..." will also be the second single.

However, if it were up to me, I'd choose "City of Blinding Lights" as the second single (slower, but catchy - should have good mass appeal) followed by "All Because of You".

If there's a 4th single, another slower track, like "Sometimes...".

They certainly will cut something out of SYCMIOYO, cause it's to long for radio-play. What will they cut? Maybe the second verse?

Headache in a Suitcase said:
all because of you... has the most mass-appeal, being the most rocking of the bunch and all

and to go along with that, they wouldn't really have to edit the length either.

The next two singles will probably be "Sometimes" and "All Because of You," in my estimation. I guess I'm not so sure of the order of release, but I'd go with "Sometimes" first followed by "All Because of You" once the band hits the road with the tour. They did the same thing with "Elevation," which wasn't released until the tour had been underway for a while and a mid-tempo track ("Walk On") had already come out. It's a common strategy which they also tried to use for Pop ("Discotheque," "Staring at the Sun," then "Last Night on Earth" while the tour was cookin' along).

Beyond that, I'd LIKE to see either "Love and Peace or Else" or "City of Blinding Lights," but I'd put my money on either the latter or the underwhelming and predictable (but still very, very listenable) "Miracle Drug." I dunno'....to me, most all of these songs COULD be singles (minus the ghastly "A Man and a Woman"). My vision is clouded by my being a fan....it's tough to be objective, as I can normally sniff out the singles from other artists right off the bat.

Either way, I figure we're in for a pretty good year of radio, provided the stations continue to stay behind the album/band.

2nd - Sometimes...
They are probably playing it on the OC for reason. I think Sometimes should be released in the winter since it the most depressing season and this is such an emotional song. But maybe it is too emotional for commercial radio....I kinda like the idea of it being a hidden jewel for those that buy the album.

3rd - Miracle Drug
I think they would release this one in February to gear everybody up for the tour. Great song with mass appeal.

4th - COBL
With the tour rolling, this will most likely be the crowd favorite and thus would make sense to release it.

5th - A Man and a Woman
This song sounds so "summery" to me...which is definitely not a bad thing. The ladies will love it!

SYCMIOYO has already been confirmed as 99% sure that it will be the next single realease in Feb 2005. As for the 3rd and 4th well i would go for 3. ABOY and 4. OOTS

LOL this is like the 5th time I've said (and many other ppl) SYCMIOYO will officially be the second single and everyone ignores that :huh:
It has been announced from several very reliable sources. (the ppl at interscope when they presented the album in Melbourne for one).
Let's try to predict the third single. ;)

Am I the only one who thinks that Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own would not make a very good single? It's a great song, but I really can't see it getting much radio play.

If I were them, I would follow Vertigo with All Because of You, then I'd release Miracle Drug, Original of the Species, and City of Blinding Lights as the last single.

The band is certainly going to have to make some tough decisions regarding the singles.

Vertigo is out there.
SYCMIOYO is almost certainly the 2nd single.
ABOY is almost certainly a single at some point.

That really only leaves two additional slots.

Given that, how can they not release "City Of Blinding Lights" and "Original Of The Species"? They have to release those two, right?

Of course, that would leave "Miracle Drug" on the table. And "Love & Peace." And "A Man and a Woman" (despite the many on this forum who don't care for that song, it would likely do well on adult contemporary stations).

There's also the issue of COBL being far too long for radio in it's current state. They would need to shave off at least 60--perhaps as many as 90--seconds from it. That can be done, but it's a hurdle that would have to be jumped.

I would seriously consider releasing dual singles at some point--one to modern rock and one to adult contemporary. The drawback is that the best combination to do that with is probably "Love & Peace" and "A Man and a Woman" (they're the most divergent sounding songs of the possible singles). This might also work with "Love & Peace" and "Original of the Species," the latter having broader appeal than "A Man and a Woman."

I think this does demonstrate how deep the album is. It's quite rare to be unable to narrow an album down to four (or five) songs as the likely singles. In this case I see eight strong contenders (counting Vertigo), an unlikely choice (Crumbs From Your Table) and two that are almost impossible to consider as singles (One Step Closer, Yahweh).

It is indeed a pretty good problem to have if you're U2/Interscope.

City... should be the second single. So when the tour starts, the band can walk out on the stage as the song begins. Just like Streets!:D

Back
Top Bottom