What rappers' fans think of U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rainbow

The Fly
My brother, who is a fan of rap music
rolleyes.gif
(what have I done wrong?!
biggrin.gif
) showed me a thread in a D12 forum (Eminem's band) which asked them what they think of U2. You'd be surprised to know that some of them actually like U2!
Anyway, here's the link to the message so you can see for yourselves:
http://www.d12world.com/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11455

thanks for the link...some nice comments although this one was very amusing though even if it was negative:

i fucking hate U2 and if bono (nice name. ). wants to be a fucking politicain well then he can but i hate the way he mixes the 2 all the time..in not saying that its not great what he does for charities and shit cos it is....but fuck stop preaching...everywhere he goes he fucking preaches..when people go to one of their gigs they go to hear their music not be preached on third world debt there is a time and a fucking place.....he is so self rightous...and annoys the fuck outta me.....and their music is whack........

lol, U2 is WHACK guys!!!!! excuse me but is it me or does Eminem not preach at every god damn gig he plays...nearly every single Eminem song is a moral or political statement which his fans eat up!!!

From D12's World...word:

"But I want to ask u about other subject
What do u think about the Rock band U2?
do u think they're good, OK or bad?
and everything u want to write about them"

"U2 will be remember will the great rock bands of all time, they truly are legends still preforming."

"there are tons of other bans that bette then them [aerosmith, gun n roses...]. but Bono is really greathe really doin much for the human community.... he really care... not like other bands/singers"

"I dont really like their music @ all i think their broing but i met Bono or whoeva i didnt really know who he was but evry1 else did o well."

"no, dont like U2, dont like that kind of music. but i think its cool if ya look at time they've been around and still topping the charts (although i rather have that the would top the charts"

"urgh theyre really not my kinda band but sum of theyre old shit's ok and they have done amazingly well and will prob carry on to do so! i'd say theyre in a different era to tha shit i like"

"i luv U2 (among other stuff) i've been their fan since i first heard Sunday Bloody Sunday (if u a fan too then u know how long it's been) they might not be da best rock band, but they sure r original n stand out"

"I think're good and if they still sanding on the top of the charts after all these years they're got to be really good.
they have some really good songs and even though I do'nt really like this kind of music I hear they're songs from time to time."

All I can say, that as a teacher in the public school system...I'm appalled at the spelling and grammar displayed here
wink.gif
. Please flame me, since I must be to blame.

Chris

[This message has been edited by spanisheyes (edited 10-20-2001).]

Our grammar isa so mut bette, just look @ the quality of them posts in I'ts Officil, or thems ramblings insa Pleabarites, or whoeva theys calld c u lt8 gruvve

Originally posted by grace:
i don't think this represents the best of the hip hop community. just a thought...

Exactly.. I agree with you. I think it represents younger adolescents who are jumping onto the "hip" bandwagon for their age group - I bet some of those ppl on the D12 messageboard are the nerd you sat behind in Chem class. That MB gives them the ability to be who they want to be but can't because they're scared. But then again, it could be who they really are - at 15. I don't know anyone in their twenties (like me) who listens to hip-hop and is thusly influenced to speak that way.

Speaking of D12, it is rumoured that Gorillaz is taking them out on tour. Yecchhh!

[This message has been edited by HelloAngel (edited 10-20-2001).]

yo yo yo pow fool. whats up doug.yo yo.
but i have to say this hip hop(which i listen to on the radio time to time ) is very funny not serious actuall nothing is serious in it but funny thats all niga.

------------------
"BONO'S PRAYER HEAVENS AIR"

Dont believe the devil i dont believe his book.

Ok yeah those were interesting! LOL Those were funny!
biggrin.gif

But this one just gets to me:

"I dont really like their music @ all i think their broing but i met Bono or whoeva i didnt really know who he was but evry1 else did o well."

How on earth does a dude like this get to meet Bono? And he didn't know who was!! *pulls out hair*
biggrin.gif

------------------
No whos or whys
No-one cries like a mother cries
For peace on Earth
She never got to say goodbye
To see the colour in his eyes
Now he's in the dirt
Peace on Earth

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica*.???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

Originally posted by some trippin ass mofo g werd to ya:
They fucking suck... i mean i would rather hear a dog pukke to a beat...

Eh ...I'd much rather hear an obscene degrading musically challenged skinny little white boy tryin to rap ...

I posted a message on the D12 forum asking if any of Eminem's albums achieved as much as the Joshua Tree.

Although I must admit, after the first four songs the rest of the album kind of bores me.

"there are tons of other bans that bette then them [aerosmith, gun n roses...]."

This comment kind of amuses me...but then again, what can you expect from someone whose only criteria is how many times the artist/band swears in his/their songs
wink.gif

But please, Aerosmith and Guns N Roses???
Just toss in Bon Jovi, and we've got three bands that symbolize everything what went wrong in rock during the 80's...

One of my best friends is a rap addict, wigger is the slightly offensive Irish term used to describe him....

anyway, brought him along to Slane2.....he was like
eek.gif
for the whole thing, and afterwards without a doubt proclaimed U2 as the best live band in the world by a long way. He said he never really listened to the lyrics until then, weird.

One of my non-U2, pro-rap friends said "U2?? Man, U2 sucks shit. Theyre nothing but a bunch of over the hill druggies. Their music sucks cock. [...]"

Gotta love having to deal with that kind of attitude everyday... Bah...

As much as many people stereotype U2 and their fans, we really need to realize that not all rap fans are morons. I happen to love U2 and rap music, although I'm not an Eminem fan at all.

My God, their spelling is atrocious! Still, I wish rap fans didn't automatically get mocked simply because they like rap. Rap fans don't just pay attention to how much swearing is involved...
rolleyes.gif

*HG thinks to herself, why do I always end up defending rap music in this forum?*

Originally posted by ~unforgettableFOXfire~:
One of my non-U2, pro-rap friends said "U2?? Man, U2 sucks shit. Theyre nothing but a bunch of over the hill druggies. Their music sucks cock. [...]"

Do I know this person?

mad.gif
mad.gif

Hey don't worry HG.. we probably (at least most of us) realize that there are smart rap fans. I do anyway. I am starting to like some rap.. well Outkast at least. My musical tastes are varied enough already though that I don't want to necessarily pursue the whol rap thing very far.

Originally posted by ~unforgettableFOXfire~:

Your friend is so eloquent with his descriptions.

Oh, and did you ask your friend why he might like rap music so much? If he likes the beat or music, then remind him that 99% of rap music is a series of riffs "borrowed" from other artists. Eminem's own "Stan" used Dido to make one of his songs "better." In other words, these artists are even worse than N'Sync or the Backstreet Boys. Those bands may perform other people's music, but at least it's original music. In contrast, many top-selling rap (and pop) artists take their music from other top-selling hits. Then they just add on some vulgar lyrics and voila - a "new" hit. It's a heartbeat from making a remake. And this is why I'm not much of a rap fan. Good rap music does show its face here and there, but not from anything I've heard lately.

i fucking hate U2 and if bono (nice name. ). wants to be a fucking politicain well then he can but i hate the way he mixes the 2 all the time..in not saying that its not great what he does for charities and shit cos it is....but fuck stop preaching...everywhere he goes he fucking preaches..when people go to one of their gigs they go to hear their music not be preached on third world debt there is a time and a fucking place.....he is so self rightous...and annoys the fuck outta me.....and their music is whack........

You read this and say what an idiot this guy is. Right!

But then again you say what a genius Bono is. He has connected to someone that even though hates him has listened to him and knows what thrid world debt and poverty is. that is an acomplishment alone!

------------------
Running to Stand Still-"you gotta cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice."

"we're not burning out we're burning up...we're the loudest folk band in the world!"-Bono

Originally posted by doctorwho:

Oh, and did you ask your friend why he might like rap music so much? If he likes the beat or music, then remind him that 99% of rap music is a series of riffs "borrowed" from other artists. Eminem's own "Stan" used Dido to make one of his songs "better." In other words, these artists are even worse than N'Sync or the Backstreet Boys. Those bands may perform other people's music, but at least it's original music. In contrast, many top-selling rap (and pop) artists take their music from other top-selling hits. Then they just add on some vulgar lyrics and voila - a "new" hit. It's a heartbeat from making a remake. And this is why I'm not much of a rap fan. Good rap music does show its face here and there, but not from anything I've heard lately.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Rap music originated in areas of low income where rappers were unable to hire live bands to play music for them to rap over. Ergo, many rappers started out rapping over old albums that they owned or that their friends or parents owned. Only when rap got big did people start making a stink about rappers using old music to accompany their raps. The debate over sampling goes back to the beginning of rap (Listen to "Talkin' All That Jazz" by Stetsasonic for more info).

Regardless of whether the music is original or not, it takes talent to rap. Try writing a rap song if you don't believe me. Yes, some rappers never use original music, but a good many do (Outkast, Missy Elliott, Jay-Z, etc.). Eminem and Dido both benefitted from the combination of his rapping with her song, nor does this completely cheapen the song's value. The practice of sampling is not, IMHO, enough reason to dismiss the entire genre.

And there is plenty of good rap out there right now, so much so that I don't need to give an exhaustive list.

Back
Top Bottom