What puzzles me about HTDAAB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sken

Refugee
I really enjoy the album the way it is, but it puzzles why they couldnt have thrown in a couple more songs to make it longer. Especially the following two songs which I think are great:

Mercy
Are you Gonna Wait Forever

They really would have added to the overall quality of the album, and neither of those songs should ever be a B side, even though one of them already is.

Sken

You can blame the rhythm section for most of it. Adam and Larry seem to have a very much old-school pop mentality and they like to trim the fat. And unfortunately, U2 is a democracy, but it's also has to be unanimous, from what I understand.

So I guess they didnt see dropping off a song about Bono's dad (One Step Closer) over a song that seems almost improvised, even though its brilliant (Mercy). We can make comparisons about which songs would or should have been added/dropped.

The point is, they werent going to ADD any because of the "less is more" mentality, which to me is almost insulting as a long time fan who has over 700 CD's and I'd bet 3/4 of them are an hour or over. So it's not so much about sales (some of it is), it's more about being shorter and to the point, whereas a lot of musi cbuffs like myself, like as much music as can be possibly crammed onto a disc. If I ever released an album, it would be pushing 78 minutes, guaranteed. Don't like some of the tracks? Skip them.

it was going to be 11 tracks/45 minutes (give or take) no matter what. That's what I gather from years of reading about their quarrels. Bono and Edge seem to be more risky, as far as taking those challenges, putting certain songs on the record.

I see what you mean, its a real shame they are sticking to that philosophy. I want as much U2 as I can get, and the more I can get the better. Even their mediocre stuff is better than a lot of music nowadays, however those 2 mentioned songs I dont consider mediocre.

I just hope Mercy is on the next album, or they are game enough to do a Rattle and Hum style cd of this new tour, so we get a 2nd album with some new songs and some live ones sooner rather than later.

Sken

Didn't Bono really want Mercy on the record? Also, it looks like he lost out and Edge got his way with the tracklist---didn't Bono say in an interview that "you can't have a slow song as the second song"? And considering, The Bomb is probably U2's worst track order job in their history, I'd have to agree.:wink:

We all *lovingly* give Bono shit around here, but I think he was right on both counts...

Mercy:drool:

I would think Bono won with the track order as Miracle Drug is not a slow song.

The album originally had 13 songs and was over an hour long and the guys - Bono in particular, but they all agreed in the end - said quality over quantity.
Are you gonna wait forever is a B-side IMO, though Mercy has great potential. It's good we got to hear both of them, on album or not.

Compared to "Vertigo", I guess "Miracle Drug" is a slow song. Does this hurt or help the playlist? It's questionable. Every album could be rearranged. For example, back in 1987, I felt "Bullet" completely ruined the atmosphere created by "Streets", "Still Haven't" and "With or Without You" that I wound up turning JT off after the first three songs! :ohmy: In my mind, "Bullet" was in the wrong spot. Correspondingly, there are many who feel that JT should've been a double album and want to include the "proper" album set list.

My point is that the album list is what it is and while we can all argue for changes, it won't ever change. That said, I feel HTDAAB has one of the strongest U2 album lists ever - so again, subjectivity plays a big role.

I agree with U2girl, "Are You Gonna Wait Forever" is a great b-side. It's a new song and it's rocking - perfect for "Vertigo". "Mercy", though, should've replaced "One Step Cloeer". Hopefully we'll see "Mercy" as a b-side, if nothing else, soon enough. As this song is already out on the 'net, U2 should just officially release it.

mercy is overrated, but its a good tune...are you gonna wait forever? its a good bside but thats all. im glad that one is not on the album

doctorwho said:

My point is that the album list is what it is and while we can all argue for changes, it won't ever change.

That's true. But HTDAAB still sounds awkward in certain places. So for what it's worth, here's my current track order.

1. vertigo
2. miracle drug
3. sometimes
4. city
5. original
6. yahweh
7. all because of you
8. crumbs
9. man/woman
10.fast cars
11.love and peace
12.one step closer

Haven't yet heard Mercy. Cannot find it on the internet. :mad:

1. vertigo
2. all because of you
3. sometimes you can't make it.....
4. city of blinding lights
5. miracle drug
6. crumbs from your table
7. love and peace or else
8. a man and a woman
9. yahweh
10. original of the spicies
11. one step closer
<hidden track> fast cars

dream tracklist:
1.yahweh <if it was a bit faster, streets-like tempo>
2. native son
3. all because of you
4. love and peace or else
5. miracle drug
6. city of blinidng lights
7. xanax and wine
8. crumbs for you table
9. original of the spicies
10. sometimes
11. one step closer to knowing

AYGWF? is definitely not album quality..Mercy on the other hand is tied with Sometimes...' as my favourite song from this era, its just fantastic, and might have been a good opener for HTDAAB.

Just downloaded Mercy and listening to it right now. Sounds awesome but maybe they didn't put it on the album because the pace is kinda like City of Blinding Lights. :shrug:

Sleep Over Jack said:
AYGWF? is definitely not album quality..Mercy on the other hand is tied with Sometimes...' as my favourite song from this era, its just fantastic, and might have been a good opener for HTDAAB.

I agree, AGWF may be a b-side...
While Mercy is indeed very good, however i wouldn't put it on The Bomb...it just doesn't belong there, at the same time,it's too good to be a b-side. I think they may use it later for a film or something like that.
By the way, "Beautiful Ghost" sounds like a perfect song for a movie, it's a bery dark, moody piece...
I'd like to see U2 going into that direction...
Songs a'la MDH with stonger guitars...

BTW, didn't Bono say that during the Leave Behind sessions they have recorded a powerful songs going in "exit-like territories"..?
I'd love to hear that...

Marr said:

By the way, "Beautiful Ghost" sounds like a perfect song for a movie, it's a bery dark, moody piece...
I'd like to see U2 going into that direction...
Songs a'la MDH with stonger guitars...

Beatiful ghost is from the joshua tree sessions,isn't it? I read it somewhere. So it is a old song

Marr said:
BTW, didn't Bono say that during the Leave Behind sessions they have recorded a powerful songs going in "exit-like territories"..?
I'd love to hear that...

I've never seen that quote.

doctorwho said:
For example, back in 1987, I felt "Bullet" completely ruined the atmosphere created by "Streets", "Still Haven't" and "With or Without You" that I wound up turning JT off after the first three songs! :ohmy: In my mind, "Bullet" was in the wrong spot.

I still think it's in the wrong spot. It's really disruptive in its placement.

"Bullet" is supposed to be disruptive. Edge isn't dropping bombs through his amplifier to put you to sleep, you know. If you want a record full of sappy ballads, I hear Michael Bolton has a new album out.

If people here had their way, we'd have incomplete songs like "Are You Gonna Wait Forever?", "Mercy," and "Xanax and Wine" on Bomb. I think this album has one of their worst tracklistings ever, but man, you guys always remind me how much worse it could've been.

Last edited:
POP-ROMANCER said:

Beatiful ghost is from the joshua tree sessions,isn't it? I read it somewhere. So it is a old song

However, I have an NME from 1992 in which Bono is all excited about a new song he just recorded the day before called "Introduction to Songs of Experience."

So I don't know if it's as old as we've all been told it is....

nathan1977 said:

However, I have an NME from 1992 in which Bono is all excited about a new song he just recorded the day before called "Introduction to Songs of Experience."

So I don't know if it's as old as we've all been told it is....

What does he say about it?

Mercy definetly needed some Lillywhite cleaning up and pop-polishing. In its current form it's just too long and rambling IMO.

U2s arangement of it being a democuracy is the only thing that has kept the band around this long. As they have all said its not about having 4 separate egos its about having 1 large collective ego and they have stuck to that point throughout their musical career.

Mercy = the most over rated track of this era. I really think if it was on the album it wouldnt get so much praise as it is getting.

Its good its not great its certainly not classic.

In its rough form, Mercy is a masterpiece. "Polishing up" has killed far too many songs, and this is one that does not need it, IMO.

Smile and Mercy should have been put on the album. When cleaned up a bit, i think the latter could be a single.

Back
Top Bottom