What other POP song would you have chosen for the Vertigo Tour????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mauwer

War Child
Friends ,

Since they weren`t happy with Discotheque and Mofo didn`t show up but was ( rumored? ) rehearsed , what other POP song would you have chosen for the Vertigo Tour?

You may pick only one Pop song.
( excluding Discotheque and Mofo offcourse )

Mine would be : Last Night On Earth.
I would`ve put it in the setlist in place of Zoo Station at multiple shows.
The 1st night Zoo:drool: and second LNOE:drool:
( Imagine : after the Baby-head screaming Mama you hear the intro of LNOE and Adam`s bass comes in:drool: :drool: )

Offcourse the obvious choose would be Please or Gone.
But both showed up at the Elevation tour so I go with LNOE.
( But they do need to bring back Gone the next tour:wink: )

Now what POP song would you choose.

Cheers ,

Mauwer

weather round here chopping and changing, surgery in the air...

That will spook the casual fans :madspit:

they should play MIAMI everytime they're in Miami...

I would've loved that in the slot-machine thing the McPhisto logo would've appeared and they launch into HMTMKMKM... followed by LEMON or Mofo :drool:

Would have liked to have seen them do a funked up version of Playboy Mansion

(please note I said funked...not the other 'f' word :wink: )

MOFO, they have rehearsed it. I remember all those setlist partys on the 3rd leg and the disappointments they didn't get to play it.

Well I recall Edge saying in U2 by U2 that Gone always sounded better stripped down to accoustics to maybe that would've been nice. :wink:

why choose only one???
don't know really. last night would be great, please also, miami would have the same meaning as twilight to casual fans, mofo would rock.

mooooooooooooooooooooofoooooooooo
that's my choice

Please would have fit perfectly in the second half of the main set, but not playing Gone at all should be considered a crime.

Rafiennes said:
Would have liked to have seen them do a funked up version of Playboy Mansion

(please note I said funked...not the other 'f' word :wink: )
:giggle: the other would be the album version. i kid, i kid...pop is one of my favourite U2 albums.

i'm gonna say discotheque, cuz they did an awesome version during elevation. i would've loved for them to have played it during the vertigo show i saw. would've been nice to have something to wake everyone up with :huh:

Last Night on Earth was sorely lacking on this tour and the Elevation tour. It's the one song that really, really needs to come back out of the Pop songs.

Not too many, actually. I really do love the album, but now it seems to be overhyped here in this forum – after it had been slaught for years. On the other hand, I think it is one of the great U2 albums, maybe even the last one, where U2 really wanted to break through the barriers. They succeeded and found themselves kind of falling in the canyon next to the streets – at least from their perspective of (economic and artistic) success.
But I wouldn't stretch that argument, too far. It gets boring and isn't that appropriate. Why? Now, U2 did play a lot of stuff from the 'doomed record' after POPmart: In 2001 they went for playing "Gone", "Discotheque", "Staring At The Sun", "Please" and "Wake Up Dead Man". Not too bad, ey?
For 2005/06 they gave these tunes a (deserved) rest – otherwise I'd promise that more than half of you here in the forum would complain about U2 "always playing the same stuff, that has been repeated too many times and needed to be replaced by other tunes in the setlists".
I'd loved to hear the re-arranged "Discotheque", because I feel, that this would have been a creative & innovative 'comeback' for the tune, but the band didn't want so. What else? Nothing else, I guess. "Last Night On Earth" is a nice one, but has been performed more then perfect from the 2nd half of POPmarts 2nd leg. Tunes like "Exit" or "Dirty Day" – similar topic – are much better and would make me more happy ...

Axver said:
Please would have fit perfectly in the second half of the main set, but not playing Gone at all should be considered a crime.

But, can they improve the fantastic Gone from Elevation ?

U2girl said:

But, can they improve the fantastic Gone from Elevation ?

Well, had you asked me "can they improve The Electric Co. from the eighties tours?" prior to the Vertigo Tour, I would have given a resounding "hell no!" But they did. So I think U2 could top Elevation's version of Gone.

Discotheque- They played it twice on Vertigo tour and shelved it. I'm sure they will play this song again, but it will never be a regular feature.

Do you feel loved- Not a good live song... doesn't translate. They realized that after 6 shows. This will NEVER be played again.

Mofo- This will be played again someday, I absolutely guarantee it.

IGWSHA- They could do a great live rendition of this song. They didn't have time to do that on Popmart, and the one time they played the whole song was a disaster, and it never happened again. I doubt they will ever try this.

SATS- Surely we'll see the acoustic version again. But if they would just try, they could pull off the full band version. But they won't try, and they like the acoustic version, so that's all we're gonna get.

LNOE- Edge said they don't play this song anymore because it's not up there with New years day or Sunday bloody sunday. Never be played again.

Gone- Possibly could be played again. Elevation version kicked ass. It was on the Best of 1990-2000, so it's associated with something besides POP. This song has a 50/50 chance of being played again.

Miami- Perhaps a snippet IN Miami, but otherwise never again.

Playboy Mansion- Never played before, and never will be. I think it could be cool if they approach it the right way, maybe a little more "funky" as somebody else put it. But no... never.

Velvet Dress- Absolutely never again.

Please- Bono says this song is impossible to sing. And while I'm sure they will play it again, it will never be a regular, or even semi-regular. It'll be a song that is dropped after the first 5 shows it's performed. That's really too bad, because this is one of their top 10 live songs ever IMO.

WUDM- I wish they'd play the more gothic, heavy version they originally had before the album came out. I'd even settle for a full band version of this, like on the album. However, if we ever do see this again, it'll just be the Bono/Edge truncated version.

Please- Bono says this song is impossible to sing. And while I'm sure they will play it again, it will never be a regular, or even semi-regular. It'll be a song that is dropped after the first 5 shows it's performed. That's really too bad, because this is one of their top 10 live songs ever IMO.
Yep they should play this far more.

Back
Top Bottom