What makes you a dork for U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: Re: What makes you a dork for U2?

Moonlit_Angel said:

-Writing a letter to "People" magazine demanding to know why Bono had not been put in their list of the most intriguing people of 2002 after all he'd been doing for Africa that year and stuff (and it actually got published, which surprised me)

That is too cool! I was quite indignant when they didn't put Bono on the list of short sexy men in the "Sexiest Man Alive 2003" issue, but I was too preoccupied with other stuff to write them a letter. Hey! If it was the 2002 issue you were talking about.....then I read your letter! Pretty cool. Cosmic! :D

Moonlit_Angel said:

-This one's from yesterday: my dad and I were heading out for dinner, and the announcer on the radio station we were listening to said that U2 would be coming up soon, and so instead of heading to the restaurant, my dad drove around town so I could hear the song (which turned out to be "Mysterious Ways"), and then after that, we went to the restaurant

Hee! I am obsessive when it comes to hearing U2 on the radio......I'll switch stations constantly in hopes of hearing them. I assure you, I would have done the same thing!

Moonlit_Angel said:

-Speaking of "Mysterious Ways", I requested that song for my senior prom (they didn't wind up playing it, though...:mad:...)

We got the same stupid DJ at both my school's Dance Marathon and prom, and he didn't play! Even after I requested it, and even after I checked to make sure they had it. (I KNOW they had "Beautiful Day" on one disc! Grrrr!)

angel_of_LA said:

To those who have managed to get U2 songs played at their church rock on! That's actually my next venture.

Thanks! It's one of the coolesst things EVER. I should psot about all my experiences with U2 and church around here sometime.....I guess in The Goal is Soul?

Gah, SO many other things I want to reply to.......it makes me just as happy that there are others out there who have done the same goofy things as me! WHEEEE for obsessed fans like us! *gathers everyone together in a big group hug :hug:*

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: What makes you a dork for U2?

NameOfLove19 said:
That is too cool! I was quite indignant when they didn't put Bono on the list of short sexy men in the "Sexiest Man Alive 2003" issue, but I was too preoccupied with other stuff to write them a letter.

Aw. Well, hey, maybe you'll get another chance sometime soon to write them (seriously, they should put him in that list, shouldn't they?).

It was pretty cool. Really weird, though...they called me to tell me about it and I was like, "Oh...well, okay...neat."

Originally posted by NameOfLove19
Hey! If it was the 2002 issue you were talking about.....then I read your letter! Pretty cool. Cosmic! :D

That would be neat if you have. It's an issue from late January 2003 and has the Olsen twins on the front.

Hee! I am obsessive when it comes to hearing U2 on the radio......I'll switch stations constantly in hopes of hearing them. I assure you, I would have done the same thing!

:up:. It's so frustrating-I rarely ever hear U2 when I'm in the car, but they always seem to play them when I'm not in the car. Like, my parents will run to the store for something, and they'll come home and tell me that they heard a U2 song in the car.

So anytime I do hear them in the car, it's always a plus, because it's not very often.

We got the same stupid DJ at both my school's Dance Marathon and prom, and he didn't play! Even after I requested it, and even after I checked to make sure they had it. (I KNOW they had "Beautiful Day" on one disc! Grrrr!)

Aw, that sucks. Stupid DJs :madspit:...

Thanks! It's one of the coolesst things EVER. I should psot about all my experiences with U2 and church around here sometime.....I guess in The Goal is Soul?

Go for it. :). That is very cool that you, and others, are incorporating them in church. I haven't been in a church in a long time, but if I ever am in one again, I'll probably try and do the same, so...:D.

Gah, SO many other things I want to reply to.......it makes me just as happy that there are others out there who have done the same goofy things as me! WHEEEE for obsessed fans like us! *gathers everyone together in a big group hug :hug:*

:hug: :yes:. I've said it before and I'll say it again-that's one reason why I love this place. I can share all this stuff with people who will understand and who won't look at me and think, "O-kay, send in the guy with the white coat...", LOL :p.

Also, a correction to be made to my last post-the part in there about the "Christianity Today" article-I meant to refer to early last year, not earlier this year.

And LOL at Bono B. Jones' post.

Angela

new thing that makes me a TOTAL u2 dork
-Secret thrill when writing "vertigo" in patient's chart today
-Describing "vertigo" to MDs/Reporting off to other nurses

I'll tell you what makes me a dork...
Being registered here for a few years and never posting...

What dorkie U2 things do I do? Well, I live in Athens, GA., home of a little band called R.E.M. Their offices have a sunfaded poster for ATYCLB hanging in the window and I make a point of walking by everytime I go downtown, just to see if the poster is still there, even if it's not really on my way.

I also apparently hear U2 where there is no U2...

practically every password I have is U2 inspired
a grade 12 art piece was inspired by the lyrics to 'In God's Country'
I did a major assignment on U2's political affiliations for a uni subject
I warn people never to 'bag' anything relating to U2 in front of me, or else I will be forced to never speak to them again, and I am serious here
all my friends know how much of a U2 geek I am and none of them seem to care

Bono B. Jones said:
Get crap for leaving U2 CD's in the car stereo constantly "is that all you listen too?" Uh, yeah...

oh yeah, if i got a dollar every time i heard that....

i often cop it at school, for listening to crap music....while on sports days my friends will listen to there techno shit (some of my friends do like U2) but i sit there with my discman listening to a bootleg or an album. i kinda feel left out, but atleast i'm not listening to music that repets itself after 10 seconds.

hmm lets see, i'm known for my very poor impersanation of Macphistos voice.

Axver said:
-I once compiled a playlist on Winamp of all the songs I have. Approximately 3500 of the 3800 were U2. That was back in January too. Ah, the wonders of MP3 bootlegs I'm now trying to replace.

i'm worse than that, as you know....i've over 22,000 Live mp3s 1,000's of concerts from 80-2001.....which takes up of 120GB of Hard Drive space...

i dont know if this makes me a Dork or night...i did write lyrics to a rumored new song "sometimes you can make it on your own"

I have spent the last 3 years looking for a book I read when I was about 9, in a series called Best Friends, I think, because I remember there might possibly be a mention of U2 somewhere in it. I haven't found it yet, but I will keep looking until I find it.

When I was in college I was an elementary education major and we had to write a complete, detailed curriculum for our final project and I made mine on U2. It included everything from the history of U2 to interpreting their lyrics to discussing their social causes. I am still proud of that project.

Just thought of something else. The last three Halloween parties I went to...I dressed up like Bono.

OzAurora said:
I warn people never to 'bag' anything relating to U2 in front of me, or else I will be forced to never speak to them again, and I am serious here

Ah yes, I know exactly what you mean. I kicked one of my friends out of my house one day for bagging U2. Frankly, if you don't like New Year's Day and describe it as 'torture', saying you have no musical taste is an insult to people without musical taste.

OzAurora said:
practically every password I have is U2 inspired

:yes:.

Originally posted by OzAurora
a grade 12 art piece was inspired by the lyrics to 'In God's Country'

That reminds me of a drawing project I did for geometry class-we had to make these things that I can't remember the name of right now, and I was doing one of those with the Macphisto horns and stuff.

Originally posted by bono_man2002
i dont know if this makes me a Dork or night...i did write lyrics to a rumored new song "sometimes you can make it on your own"

Haha, that's awesome-that definitely counts :yes: :up:.

Angela

I spend hours on end 'parsing' U2 songs, trying to interpret the Bongolese. I tear the songs apart with a couple of different mixing programs - I might spend two-three hours on one line! And this while I'm supposed to be studying for Paramedic school... oops...

}: )~

discothequeLP said:
whats bongolese?

Its the jibberish Bono sings in the studio when they are creating new songs and he doesnt have the lyrics written yet.

The only thing I can think of for me personally is that I can remember the smallest details of a concerts or interviews that took place 15 to 20 years ago, yet I cant remember the names of some associates at my job.

I remembered some other ones:

- In Senior year I wrote for the school magazine the movie section, and for an Alias I used Mr. McPhisto and that photo of him in black and white

- My password has a U2 reference in it

- I have maybe too much cover songs of U2 songs by other people

- I make U2 presents: cassettes mostly (with a motive)

- I swear one time while singing Stuck in a moment I kinda started to make lyrics and changing the music turning it to another song and came up with this lyric: "sometimes you CAN make it on your own".. a few days later I found out that that might be a song fir the new album... and that was like in 2002

- I came up with fantasy set lists, dream set lists, reality set lists and last concert set lists :sad:

- I still plan to save money to go to the final concert ever in Dublin (where it should be, in 2010 I think)... I say I plan to, because I never get to do it :p

bono_man2002 said:

Dork or Not!! NOT night...it was late at night...i'll just clear that up!

discothequeLP said:
i make up setlists too! mostly during biology class, but history gets boring too :p

Haha, I make up setlists as a hobby. Rather fun to do. One of my projects for the upcoming week is a setlist featuring every U2 song made.

bono_man2002 said:
i always did that in exams week....after i'd finished of course!

During the last exam week, I began designing setlists during exams. I wonder what the teachers thought when they saw me finish the exam and then hurriedly scribble down all these song names on a spare piece of paper ...

~All my email passwords are U2 related
~I only have U2 cds in my car and u2 dvds in my dvd player
~U2 are my screensavers on my computer at work
~My license plate says one4u2
~I stood outside 4 1/2 hours on the last tour to possibly just catch a glimpse and wound up getting Bono's autograph and meeting Paul McGuiness
~ I harrased the New York Times people everyday last year to sell me a ticket to Bonos interview in manhattan and not only got it but I ran to the stage at the end and got a 'happy birthday Heather' autograph
~my friend and I made personalized shirts that said all I want is peace, love and U2 and wore them to an elevation show
~ and I can't forget writing a very long letter to the Oprah show about how I am Bono's biggest fan and should be flown to chicago to be in the audience when he was interviewed

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom