What makes Gone a great song?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Searcher

The Fly
The introduction is great, the lyrics are really cool and the ending is great. The guitar is one of Edge's best work today.

You change your name, but that's okay -- it's necessary

What you leave behind you don't need anyway

That and the opening riff, which is enough to make dogs around the world yelp for joy.

The fact that when they played it live it became about 100 times better.

That's when a song leaves it's shackles behind.
'Gone' has a great drum and bass combination, one of the few U2 songs these days that groove. Granted, it's almost ten years old.

The guitar has the type of originality, bombast, yet subtlety that only Edge and a handful of others could conjure up.

Bono is quite great on all versions. It's just an indication of what U2 left on the table when they went softer. They threw the baby out with the bathwater. They played it on Elevation nearly every night because they knew it was great. It still is awesome.

Even better than when they wrote it, you can't say that about all U2 songs, even the great ones.

The Searcher said:
The introduction is great, the lyrics are really cool and the ending is great. The guitar is one of Edge's best work today.

well...didn't you just answer your own question? :wink:

my answer: EVERYTHING.

especially the lyrics. maybe because I can identify with some of them. and the bridge is beautiful.

Gone is maybe my favourite song ever

Gone is easily the best song on "Pop" (save Please). It has everything a U2 song needs to have: Great guitar hook, big soaring vocal, tight rhythm section. If U2 produced 7 more songs like this on "Pop", then it would have been an alltime classic.

Still 'Gone' is almost enough to carry this whole album for me. :yes:

the guitar + bass work make it very, very good
as is clearly shown when they play it live

I would call it great if it had a slightly more interesting chorus

I think this is the most open autobiographical Bono song, maybe the most vulnerable one.

with all of the imperfections of the POP album, this is the one moment that is without fault. they have not come close to this level on the 2 albums since.

I absolutely love Gone and its one of my top five U2 tracks ever. It's tremendous whether live or not.

The argument that Edge makes it great is quite funny to me. Doesn't that apply to all U2 songs? ;)

I was just listen to the Earl's Court version of the song the day that Bono's dad died
where he screams, "BOB HEWSON!!!" during the intro.

Powerful song.:drool: :drool:

Westport said:
I was just listen to the Earl's Court version of the song the day that Bono's dad died
where he screams, "BOB HEWSON!!!" during the intro.

Powerful song.:drool: :drool:
That's a great version, so powerful :drool:

I think it's just one of those songs where everything just comes together perfectly and Bono's vocal performance is the icing on the cake :drool:

Zootlesque said:
Strengths of Gone:

1. The lyrics
2. Edge's guitar
3. The lyrics
4. Edge's guitar
5. The lyrics

what about Adam's killer bassline? what about Bono's haunting delivery on the album? What about that amazing ending with the falsetto and siren? :drool:

AtomicBono said:

what about Adam's killer bassline? what about Bono's haunting delivery on the album? What about that amazing ending with the falsetto and siren? :drool:

True true true. :wink:

Bono's singing is truly magnificent on the album and live versions! :ohmy:

God Part III said:
The argument that Edge makes it great is quite funny to me. Doesn't that apply to all U2 songs? ;)

Quite right!!

The opening is amazing, as is the first time bono sings,"you can keep this suit of lights..."
:drool:

Back
Top Bottom