What makes an atmospheric album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BANZAI

War Child
In my opinion The Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby are three perfect examples that have a beautiful atmosphere throughout the album. That's an aspect I really miss on HTDAAB.

Now my question is: what is it exactly that makes the atmosphere?! Is it the production of the album, the overall theme of the album, or is it maybe the same guitarsound or other sounds that can be heard throughout the whole album?!

the intro to where the streets have no name is the epitome of atmosphere..IMO. ....def what they're recent work has been missing :drool:

BANZAI said:
In my opinion The Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby are three perfect examples that have a beautiful atmosphere throughout the album.

I wouldn't describe AB or JT as atmosheric. UF I would definately describe as atmosheric minus Pride.

I think "atmosheric" is another one of those over used words when describing music.

I think atmosheric should be used to describe a song that lacks typical song structure and creates more of a musical landscape. I think JT and AB have too many "proper" songs on them to call them atmospheric albums...

They both have atmospheric songs on them though; such as WOWY, LIB, etc...

yeah, i would call achtung and joshua and UF atmospheric just because they fit together.
Feelinf that i get with HUT DAB is that it's made out of 11( or somewhere 12) songs that are not connected to each other except they are on the same album. Achtung's songs don't fit on any of other albums,Vertigo can be opener to any of them.
(you''l probably get what i mean)

What makes an album atmospheric???
I think it's the feeling you get when you listen to it, but not the feeling: "This album rocks",but when you stop and think what did the author meant to say, imagining the pictures, just giving yourself to the music.

reading now seems that i've put a bunch of crap in single post, but i really can't describe, this is the closest

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I think "atmosheric" is another one of those over used words when describing music.

It is an overused term, because it often gets attributed to albums that don't move me at all. I think 'move' is the operative word. Albums like UF and Achtung can take you away some mysterious place that's hard to define, but incredibly stirring to visit. Ultimately, I think atmosphere is that 'otherness' Bono has hinted about getting back to on the next album.

While I hope U2 can get that quality back, I also think the best atmospheric albums capture moments of true creativity that are hard to explain, and even harder to reproduce--no matter how large the production team. There's also the risk-taking factor, as mentioned earlier. It takes sheer guts to be different, and risk alienating the core audience. Pop is a great example of this.

angelordevil said:

It is an overused term, because it often gets attributed to albums that don't move me at all. I think 'move' is the operative word. Albums like UF and Achtung can take you away some mysterious place that's hard to define, but incredibly stirring to visit. Ultimately, I think atmosphere is that 'otherness' Bono has hinted about getting back to on the next album.

While I hope U2 can get that quality back, I also think the best atmospheric albums capture moments of true creativity that are hard to explain, and even harder to reproduce--no matter how large the production team. There's also the risk-taking factor, as mentioned earlier. It takes sheer guts to be different, and risk alienating the core audience. Pop is a great example of this.

:up: the term is definitely overused, but the "otherness" is the perfect way to describe it. It's a feeling, for me. I can't say "this song is atmospheric because it has this sound in it," it's the combination of sounds that somehow make a piece atmospheric. Sort of other-worldly, almost. Music you can get lost in.

the MDH soundtrack is a good example of atmospheric U2 :drool:

an atmospheric album would probably consist of songs that move you in a mental way. where the music creates its own landscapes in your mind, or just creates a different atmosphere as to where you really are.
it's hard to explain, and I'm sure everyone has their own definition for it. but what I just described is my opinion of "atmospheric".

UF :drool:

It's a good question, here is my geeky blathering take:

Think something like Enya, how those atmospehres sound so lush
It's about how it's mixed and obviously recorded.
Instrumentation: Reverb (on vox as well), ethereal guitars, strings, synths ....whatever.. Like how the end of Streets sounds like it's in a tunnel and the chiming notes seem almost endless until they drop out. You can hear the end of OOTS very similarly but it's very direct and loud, it does sound good but certainly less atmospheric. Maybe it has less reverb, but being so loud does take some of that 'space' feeling away.

When Edge plays the delay effects, those are repeated notes, if he plays over them you don't hear them echoing. Again, it may have less reverb as well. Very possibly less delay as well. In fact I am pretty convinced of that, probably should save that for the guitar forum.

Most importantly it's allowing the listener to hear all of those atmospehrics.

When you go for more volume sometimes you lose the quality of the atmospherics. think of the harmonies on the Lemon "man makes a picture" which I think is just Eno and Edge, sounds very atmospheric if not hauting, and also quiet. Or the harmonies on Walk On (album) same effect. If you push that louder you can lose not only some of those vocal qualities, you hear the main voice less, the guitar less etc.

HTDAAB, because of the industry in general wanting more loud music for more amplified stereos etc, and the fact that it's supposed to be a more direc effort, I think you get more of a 'loud' feeling as opposed to an atmospheric feeling. You can barely hear the strings in Sometimes You Can't Make It On YOur Own, because they are so far in the back, that was a great atmospheric that was there but wasn't audible enough IMO.

Also Bono has been singing w/o much vocal processing if any at all. Like most of everything from UF-Pop he sang quite a bit thru processors (think the low parts of The Fly) or even Gone, reverbs and maybe even slight distortion. Bono, as it sounds to me, is singing pretty much with his naked voice on HTDAAB (ATYCLB as well, possibly) so it has to be louder. So if you make him louder, you gotta compensate throughout, the whole thing becomes louder.

I think a lot of it is really just mixing.
take 'Heartland' it has that very lush moody atmospheric.
I think part of it is Bono's baritone, the mixing and even how the bass sounds, where the higher end is less dominant and you have that really deep pulsing bass, like Please for example. The bass on Vertigo, for example is reverbed, sounds more 'punk' less moody and on ABOY it sounds like 60's rock. SO it's also intentional aside from production techniques.

Basically they were going for a less atmospheric sound because a lot of those atmospherics compensated for lack of musicianship in some ways. These days they are a more confident band, from voice to bass to guitar and drums in terms of how they sound 'raw' but in an effort to sound more direct, less moody, maybe even less pretentious, they sort of sacrificed a lot of that.

What I mean is a song like 'Electric Co' has all that delay and it just echoes and really creates a swirl in your head, where on COBL or Miracle Drug he's using less delay, less repeated notes and actually playing more because he doesn't want to step over himself.

I don't know, something like that.

U2DMfan said:
It's a good question, here is my geeky blathering take:

Think something like Enya, how those atmospehres sound so lush
It's about how it's mixed and obviously recorded.
Instrumentation: Reverb (on vox as well), ethereal guitars, strings, synths ....whatever.. Like how the end of Streets sounds like it's in a tunnel and the chiming notes seem almost endless until they drop out. You can hear the end of OOTS very similarly but it's very direct and loud, it does sound good but certainly less atmospheric. Maybe it has less reverb, but being so loud does take some of that 'space' feeling away.

When Edge plays the delay effects, those are repeated notes, if he plays over them you don't hear them echoing. Again, it may have less reverb as well. Very possibly less delay as well. In fact I am pretty convinced of that, probably should save that for the guitar forum.

Most importantly it's allowing the listener to hear all of those atmospehrics.

When you go for more volume sometimes you lose the quality of the atmospherics. think of the harmonies on the Lemon "man makes a picture" which I think is just Eno and Edge, sounds very atmospheric if not hauting, and also quiet. Or the harmonies on Walk On (album) same effect. If you push that louder you can lose not only some of those vocal qualities, you hear the main voice less, the guitar less etc.

HTDAAB, because of the industry in general wanting more loud music for more amplified stereos etc, and the fact that it's supposed to be a more direc effort, I think you get more of a 'loud' feeling as opposed to an atmospheric feeling. You can barely hear the strings in Sometimes You Can't Make It On YOur Own, because they are so far in the back, that was a great atmospheric that was there but wasn't audible enough IMO.

Also Bono has been singing w/o much vocal processing if any at all. Like most of everything from UF-Pop he sang quite a bit thru processors (think the low parts of The Fly) or even Gone, reverbs and maybe even slight distortion. Bono, as it sounds to me, is singing pretty much with his naked voice on HTDAAB (ATYCLB as well, possibly) so it has to be louder. So if you make him louder, you gotta compensate throughout, the whole thing becomes louder.

I think a lot of it is really just mixing.
take 'Heartland' it has that very lush moody atmospheric.
I think part of it is Bono's baritone, the mixing and even how the bass sounds, where the higher end is less dominant and you have that really deep pulsing bass, like Please for example. The bass on Vertigo, for example is reverbed, sounds more 'punk' less moody and on ABOY it sounds like 60's rock. SO it's also intentional aside from production techniques.

Basically they were going for a less atmospheric sound because a lot of those atmospherics compensated for lack of musicianship in some ways. These days they are a more confident band, from voice to bass to guitar and drums in terms of how they sound 'raw' but in an effort to sound more direct, less moody, maybe even less pretentious, they sort of sacrificed a lot of that.

What I mean is a song like 'Electric Co' has all that delay and it just echoes and really creates a swirl in your head, where on COBL or Miracle Drug he's using less delay, less repeated notes and actually playing more because he doesn't want to step over himself.

I don't know, something like that.

Good Post!

In my opinion, atmosphere is when a song or an album takes you to another place or time, cerating a plausible world where you can lose yourself completely, just through the power of the music.
I feel that all U2 albums have this but for an album to be truly atmospheric it must have the same theme running more or less throughout. The Unforgettable Fire, Boy and Zooropa have this quality but Passengers is the most atmospheric of all. It's been said that it is best listened to on the Tokyo Bullet Train at 2AM. I agree totally, that album freaks me out everytime! It is unique and wonderful! It's spooky, futuristic, nightmarish atmosphere gets me every time!!!!!!!

Matter of fact, I was listening to the Extended UF Playlist that Axver put together this morning while I drove my son to daycare and drove to work.... amazing!

What does The Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby have in common?

Lanois/Eno

;)
For me it's as simple as that.
What U2 teamed up with the Dynamic duo creates is exactly that: atmosphere!

An Cat Gav said:
The Unforgettable Fire, Boy and Zooropa have this quality but Passengers is the most atmospheric of all. It's been said that it is best listened to on the Tokyo Bullet Train at 2AM. I agree totally, that album freaks me out everytime! It is unique and wonderful! It's spooky, futuristic, nightmarish atmosphere gets me every time!!!!!!!

so youve really listened to it on the tokyo train at 2am?? details.

no i haven't:)
I was quoting someone else there. But I have listened to it on my walkman before late at night , when ive been in some strange places, walking home from some club or whatever, half remembering how i spend the night! This album isn;t designed to put you in a lighter frame of mind!
I love it!

Atmosphere, in my opinion, is that a song has a kind of background sound.

Pure rock music can sound 'flat'. There is the harsh guitar sound, there's the bass, there's the drums, and there's a singer. You can all separately identify them in the music.

Atmospheric songs always have something going on in the background. A soft synthesizer sound, a guitar repeating a loop, etc. Subtle changes in the background sound can occur at important points. This makes the music interesting to listen to again and again. After 100 listens you can still go "wow, there's that tiny guitar loop just before the chorus that I'd never heard before".

Listen to If You Wear That Velvet Dress and you'll know what I mean. There are no silences in that song. The background sound goes on and on.

Yeah, I agree with the post above. Synths are usually used, or some "soothing" background vocals or guitars- sometimes with reverb.

IMO Yahweh is the most atmospheric song on HTDAAB, and it does have that violin-synth and vocal and guitar reverb and echo. Miracle Drug is atmospheric, but to a lesser extent.

Back
Top Bottom