what makes achtung baby so experimental?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

t8thgr8

War Child
U2 is like a fat hot girlfriend.

im giving Achtung Baby a proper listen right now after reading that thread with the little girl who just bought it.
Im listening and i start to wonder just what exactly is it about achtung baby that is so 'experimental'?
Adam isnt playing any radically different sounding bass, the only thing difference in the rythym section is their natural improvement. Thats not very 'experimental'. Then that must leave bono and the edge......
Is achtung baby experimental because bono chose to sing in falsetto on occasion? is it the subject matter perhaps? :wink: just because he is singing about things other than world matters and drug addicts doesnt really justify the 'experimental' stamp.
Well what about the edge? The edge seems to be playing with more effects but its no different than something like exit or any other edge song pre achtung where he has used effects. UF for example....anyway
The only difference in the edge is just that hes playing at a faster tempo than usual and doing a little more with his effects. that's just natural growth in skill on both parts.

But just what is it about achtung baby that makes it sound so revolutionary??

Is this the true sound of our band, with their talents polished to full shine, secluded with nothing but themselves and the music. It almost broke the band but out of that pressure the coal turned to diamond. They sound so unified, so in tuned with eachother. Each has been drawn into this new sound and each is on the same wavelength as the other. that happens when you use your talents and focus them on one thing rather than diluting your concentration on outside events such as politics. Bono is so excited that the band is playing so loose but yet so well right now on tour....
Well no shit, bono.Thats because youre starting to get immersed in U2 and your true passion and not running away from it everyother minute, like you do when it comes time to record an album. I think Achtung Baby is the last proper U2 record. The last one where all four members were stuck together to create music. Thats why its sooo good. The lyrics are incredibly malleable to many different situations. this comes from bono being there and adjusting his lyrics to the music, much like he does now (vertigo), but only hes there working with it instead of making it up on the spot (pick up the phone lyric on 'sometimes').
it seems that U2 is very much alive, but only when they are together. only when they are together can they possibly make another achtung baby. It is simply a recording of a band that had their potential realized, but were too into their craft to let other things interfere. each record that follows was always tainted in some way by having three guys and an empty chair filled in by a machine or improvisation by another member or what have you.
The next record will not top achtung baby. not if its recorded during the tour in '06. it'll just be another zooropa quality record, which is all good to me. but they could top it with the next proper record if they indeed properly record it.
If bono doesnt run off every week to a meeting with Mr. Whatnot, if edge doesnt vacation to the south of france, if larry doesnt hurt his wrist or back or whatever, if adam sacrifices a hiatus, then we may see our third masterpiece. theyre very capable. they only need to be U2 for the full session. And thats why we stick around. Like a fat chick who used to be hot, U2, underneath all of the extra shit they have going on, you know that just maybe be one day they'll get motivated enough to workout and display what we all know is still there.

Hang on, don't jump on this as a bashing thread, I don't read it as that. I disagree with some of the points in there - particularly about Zooropa which is easily as or more inspired and immediate than Achtung Baby - but your overall point is one I agree with and I think most in here would agree with. The process of working and reworking, producing and reproducing an album over a bunch of stages over the course of 2 years isn't U2 at their best and I think that they really should nail themselves to the studio next time around. Seriously clear their schedules for a couple of months at least and do that and only that. Tough thing to do, particularly for a certain singer, but it's what I think will be best for the next record. Wouldn't you all like to hear that from U2? Or do you think for some reason that they need to work on things for years before they are worthy? That's all the above post is saying really.

Some very loosly constructed theories...you also have a huge misunderstanding of AB, but I'll just chalk that up to getting into U2 late.

Earnie Shavers said:
Hang on, don't jump on this as a bashing thread, I don't read it as that. I disagree with some of the points in there - particularly about Zooropa which is easily as or more inspired and immediate than Achtung Baby - but your overall point is one I agree with and I think most in here would agree with. The process of working and reworking, producing and reproducing an album over a bunch of stages over the course of 2 years isn't U2 at their best and I think that they really should nail themselves to the studio next time around. Seriously clear their schedules for a couple of months at least and do that and only that. Tough thing to do, particularly for a certain singer, but it's what I think will be best for the next record. Wouldn't you all like to hear that from U2? Or do you think for some reason that they need to work on things for years before they are worthy? That's all the above post is saying really.

I agree, the initial post is not bashing, but it that IS what this will turn into. It happened w/ Chizip on the "Overcorrection of Pop" thread, and it will happen here.

As for the idea of overworking songs? Well, if Native Son and All Because Of You (Alternate) and SYCMIOYO (Alternate) are examples of what we'd get with a quick record, and Vertigo, All Because Of You (Album), and SYCMIOYO (Album) what we'd get with 6 more months, I'll take 6 more months.

The problem is the way U2 write/record. They write as they record, so songs are in constant development. On the plus side, the songs sound really fresh because ideas are worked out as they're put to tape. The down side is they're comfortable with that.

If they could find a way to write 20 songs, THEN hit the studio, I think we could get that fast record, and a very differend sounding record as well. It'd be a whole new process for them.

I have no opinion on the post itself, or whether or not it's bashing, but what's the deal with the title?

:scratch:

BrownEyedBoy said:
Yeah how is U2 like a "fat hot girlfriend"? :huh: I don't get it.

It essentially means you should be embarrassed to like the band. Just like people who have overweight partners, they love them, but they're embarrassed by them.:eyebrow:

I think Shaun's last comment is a line from the Spinal Tap song "Big Bottom." If not, then my last comment makes no sense at all.

:wink:

rights.gif

Last edited:
Big bottom drive me out of my mind
How could I leave this... behind

oops i just saw your post ok this is the last spinal tap hehe they fucking rock!!

[no more spinal tap and no vertical scroll!]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom