what makes achtung baby so experimental?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Points proven so far

1. U2 are now crap
2. U2 have sold their soul to radio and iPod and some teens
3. U2's Not gonna make another Achtung Baby, how dare they Not
4. Go to 5
5. Go to 1

jacknife23 said:
Points proven so far

1. U2 are now crap
4. Go to 5
5. Go to 1

1. correct!
2. correct!
3.we all know they can never come close to AB! at that time u2 were a band now they are just a co-operation making money for that man!! and thats a fact!

the man:drool:

ill bet 100$$ that their next record will be an album with filler songs!! i which i was wrong but time has proven me correct!!

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Some very loosly constructed theories...you also have a huge misunderstanding of AB, but I'll just chalk that up to getting into U2 late.

are we all supposed to eventually reach a point where we understand U2 in the same way as everyone else??

blahblahblah said:

are we all supposed to eventually reach a point where we understand U2 in the same way as everyone else??

What??:huh:

No, I was just saying you have to take AB into context with what was happening at the time and where U2 was before AB, to understand why people described it as experimental. The author of the thread didn't do that, therefore most of what he says has very little bearing. The author didn't get into U2 until ATYCLB so I really don't think he's approaching his analysis correctly.

So I'm not sure where in that I said anything about us all understanding U2 in the same way?!

jacknife23 said:
Points proven so far

1. U2 are now crap
4. Go to 5
5. Go to 1

Proven?

3 is not gonna happen, because U2 won't repeat themselves.

Achtung Baby part II will not be made unless it's to cash in on all those who love AB and hate their new work.

Adam in particular has taken professional bass lessons after the Zooropa album. Pop, ATYCLB and Atomic Bomb, well ATYCLB he was a little buried, but Pop and Atomic Bomb don't they show improvement on his part? I think Larry did too, but I haven't read as much about it.

To say Achtung Baby is better than their latter work, I dunno, seems a little insulting, Adam and Larry should'nt have bothered taking lessons then if their best work is behind them instead of in front of them.

corianderstem said:
, but what's the deal with the title?

:scratch:

"""And thats why we stick around. Like a fat chick who used to be hot, U2, underneath all of the extra shit they have going on, you know that just maybe be one day they'll get motivated enough to workout and display what we all know is still there."""""

*read the whole thing next time*

BonoVoxSupastar said:

What??:huh:

No, I was just saying you have to take AB into context with what was happening at the time and where U2 was before AB, to understand why people described it as experimental. The author of the thread didn't do that, therefore most of what he says has very little bearing. The author didn't get into U2 until ATYCLB so I really don't think he's approaching his analysis correctly.

So I'm not sure where in that I said anything about us all understanding U2 in the same way?!

damn, how did you know i didnt get into u2 until atyclb???

and i was listening to achtung baby with headphones and an open mind while i wrote. i ws listening to other albums before it all day. i think the time period is irrelevant to what im saying.
achtung baby isnt really any different from the preceeding albums, theyve just gotten better at what they do.

i want you to tell me why its so experimental to you, then. the time period should have nothing to do with the music itself. u2 didnt do anything that new on AB, they just did more of what they do well, which anyone would do as they got better at what they do.

t8thgr8 said:

damn, how did you know i didnt get into u2 until atyclb???

and i was listening to achtung baby with headphones and an open mind while i wrote. i ws listening to other albums before it all day. i think the time period is irrelevant to what im saying.
achtung baby isnt really any different from the preceeding albums, theyve just gotten better at what they do.

i want you to tell me why its so experimental to you, then. the time period should have nothing to do with the music itself. u2 didnt do anything that new on AB, they just did more of what they do well, which anyone would do as they got better at what they do.

I know because it's in your profile.

And yes time period has everything to do with how it's percieved as experimental. Elvis was considered "experimental" at the time because no white man was doing what he was doing at the time, but if you were to approach the subject now and didn't consider time Elvis is just another singer. If 5 years from now the environment of music sounds like Radiohead and no one looks at Kid A without the context of time then no one would understand why it was so "experimental".

well dont be confused when you dont understand why the title is the way it was. if i was typing up an essay, then i wouldve placed more paragraph breaks and capital letters. instead, i just wanted to get what was on my mind onto paper (text) as fast as possible. it seems you let the title prejudge what was written in the passage. that only tells me that you dont even know what i wrote about and just pointed out the title, everyone else followed and in return, only a handful of readers actually read what i said.

*next time read before you post your ignorance.*

*next time read before you post your ignorance.*

That's unnecessarily harsh, considering I led off my response with "sorry." Geez. Back off.

it seems you let the title prejudge what was written in the passage

I wasn't judging. I asked a question about the thread title, which, yes, I would have gotten had I read your post more carefully.

But dang, don't be so snippy.

Last edited:
if i was typing up an essay, then i wouldve placed more paragraph breaks and capital letters.

I'm one of those weirdos who hate that so many people think emails/chat/forum posting means they don't have to take the time to write properly.

I'm also more likely to take the time to read a longer post that's written that way, because it's easier on my eyes, looking at the text on a computer screen.

But those are my issues, not yours. :wink:

Now back to the topic...

Achtung Baby was an experimental album for them (U2) at that time, but the sound wasn't really that ground breaking considering back in 1989 The Stone Roses fused dance beats with rock.

david said:
Achtung Baby was an experimental album for them (U2) at that time, but the sound wasn't really that ground breaking considering back in 1989 The Stone Roses fused dance beats with rock.

Exactly. In a greater musical sense it's not an experimental album at all, far from it. Within U2 it is to a degree, and mainly only in two areas. One is the way Edge is manipulating the sound of his guitar, the other is the rhythm section suddenly discovering the ability to shake one's ass. I'm not a guitar player, but when I listen to Edge on Even Better Than The Real Thing I don't hear any real difference there to what Edge is doing on Running To Stand Still. It's sped up. It's given an effect. It's given a different feel because of the hips the rhythm section are giving it. U2 on that album are experimenting with different things, but it's not really an experimental album at all. As said above, it was in the 80's that the first bands started taking the beat of a dance track and replicating it within their own rhythm sections. Stone Roses, New Order, Primal Scream etc etc. Doing that was new to U2, but only in the same way that tackling the bluesy sound was previously, or opening their music right up to the big stadium/atmospheric sound previously. Nothing really major considering the way they have always been. Edge of course is what brought the biggest sonic change in, the most shocking post Rattle & Hum, the one that people tag as 'experimental'. But again that's just really progressive. A guitar player determined, after a decade of figuring the different ways to play the thing, now wanting to fiddle with the different ways it can sound and how that can play it's own massively important role in the story and feeling of a song. The thoughts of temptation popping in and out of your mind in Mysterious Ways. The heartbreak in Love Is Blindness. I think in the 80's it was more "How can I play this?", in the 90's it was "How can I relate this?". Experimental? Well yes, he's experimenting, but really it's just a part of his progressive development as a guitar player, and a guitar player who more than most seems to be obsessed with all the different things that instrument can possible do. If he weren't to do that, he'd have always kept the clangy, bell wringing sound and would be.... a Slash. Stuck in a sound and feel.

I think U2 have experimented with different things on virtually every album from Boy to Pop, and therefore I just think it's either just called 'progression' or in another sense I think it's wrong to call the 90's their 'experimental period' because, to me, their whole career up until 1998 was the experimental period. I do definitely think U2 threw the brakes on with that post Pop. There is zero progression on the albums. Definitely progression as bass players, drummers, guitarists, vocalists in the sense that they, of course, are getting tighter and better with age and practice - and that in itself has brought change to the music - but not progression in a creative sense. It seems a lot of fans around here really fear the E word (experimental) more than any other. That in part makes me laugh because I feel it's probably the most misused word in U2's career, both in here and in the media. It also in part makes me sad because I think it's those fans that won the day post-Pop and scared the crap out of U2 into conserving their sound, retreading, re-energising the past in a very hit and miss way as opposed to actually following that path post-Pop to it's more natural next place. There are glimpses of that. Stateless. Ground Beneath Her Feet. Maybe Love & Peace or Else. Maybe even the sound of New York to a degree. There are glimpses in some of the ways they've reworked some older songs live. U2 learned a lot over those 20 years and it seems a real shame that we may never hear the culmination of it. Instead, take the old and retread it with the production of the 00's and play it with the tightness of a band with 25 years practice. Wow. How interesting.

I do believe there's a U2 album there that hasn't been made. A culminating album I guess. ATYCLB and HTDAAB are fucking safe. Safe in every way. Safe isn't the opposite of experimental. No-one is asking U2 to run away and force themselves into doing something unnatural. These albums are conservative. Very conservative. Conservative in the creative sense IS the opposite of progressive. The U2 Creative Journey, if it had to end, still ended early. It shouldn't end with Pop. They were clearly still learning on that album. I really, really want to hear what comes after that. What they are showing off on the last two albums (and tours) is just how fucking tight they are getting, how good they are getting with their instruments. Mix that with everything they've learned over their evolution. Please God walk into the room next time and slap them 'round. The sound of U2 in 2006 should be something quite incredible, it's been a long time in the making, not something simply updated from the past. They may as well have just kept making the same album over and over if this was always going to be the point they were to arrive at.

Boy was a beginning.
October was not experimental, it was progressive.
War was not experimental, it was progressive.
The Unforgettable Fire was not experimental, it was progressive.
The Joshua Tree was not experimental, it was progressive.
Rattle & Hum was not experimental, it was progressive.
Achtung Baby was not experimental, it was progressive.
Zooropa was not experimental, it was progressive.
Pop was not experimental, it was progressive.
All That You Can't Leave Behind was not experimental, it was not progressive, it was conservative.
How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb was not experimental, it was not progressive, it was conservative.

Last edited:
I have to respectfully disagree. There were bands in the mainstream that used synths and dance beats and there were bands in the mainstream that were instruments and voice. U2 took what they had in the past brought the technology of dance music and some of the industrial sounds of bands such as NIN, dark themes and were able to tie them altogether in mainstream pop radio. This wasn't there before. This sound opened up the doors and inspired bands like Garbage etc.

I'm not actually sure how you are disagreeing with me? U2 weren't the first band to do any of those things, they were the first mega-band to do it though, and yes, certainly played a mammoth part in breaking open mainstream FM radio to those sounds. It was innovative and progressive and experimental to them, internally. It was fresh and new to mainstream radio. It wasn't, in a broader sense, anything truly new though.

I think we're on the same page, just using different parameters to judge it.

True, but by that definition the term "experimental" can really only be applied to a handful of bands then. I guess the question is what truly defines experimenting? And what bands have truly experimented?

What is experimenting? In the broader musical sense it would take this thread way off on another tangent, except to say there is the broader musical experimenting (the first rock bands to mix electronica in or influence their style or sound by that genre) then there's internal band experimenting (a few years later U2 give it a go influenced by a mixture of the electronica and the bands that have paved the way before them). But in a U2 sense, and this is my point, it's always been there internally, and has evolved naturally with only the scope of ambition, resources at hand and growing confidence and ability making the difference. For U2 their early experimenting was all about learning to play, both individually and as a band. For example, at some point The Edge started mucking around with slide guitar. At another point the echoing effects. Baby steps compared to the 90's, but it was still essentially the same thing, inspired by the same goal and passion. As the band became comfortable and confident in what it was they were and how they played and their structure etc, that opened up new doors and areas to experiment in. My point is Achtung, or Pop or whatever don't really stand out as 'experimental' albums because at each step of the way, whether it's The Edge learning and experimenting with a bluesy style or the band as a whole learning and experimenting with electronic beef in their sound, they've always done it. It's the path that leads directly from a U2 rock song being I Will Follow to a U2 rock song being Mofo. It is to me, musically and creatively, what have always made U2 great. The belief that they are not one thing, that there is always a hunger there to learn more and push themselves and that there is nothing that shouldn't be an influence or an assistance to replicating the sounds in their head. So... yes, to me experimenting is trying anything new, small (as they did early on) or large (as they did later on). And that 'small' and 'large' is only in reference to how it appears now in the bigger picture in retrospect. Edge may tell you that it took a lot more work to get that echoey, slidey sound just right then it ever was for them to fit the loops and drum machines into the U2 sound, and that the experimentation early on was far larger to them then it was later on. Who knows.

The fact that U2 were never settled or satisfied was a lot of the beauty to me. I don't like it when people tie them down into a single box and claim that that is U2 and everything else is either the growth to that point or the silly experiment to run away from it. It's simply not the case. Like I said, their progression and growth grew in itself as they grew larger in confidence and in resources and in their own sense of what their music is and what it could be. THEY were never settled or satisfied or confident enough in a particular incarnation of U2 to sit there on that sound or style. Post-Pop the cries from so many fans were "Enough! Go back there, where you were, at that point back there!" and the band seemed to find that confidence in that. It wasn't in where they were at then, but where they were some time ago. That's a shame. On other music message boards, either general or other bands, I think there are far more honest critiques of U2's current place and much of the wrath is aimed at how they read their fans post-Pop and who was right or wrong in that assessment. Some think that U2 underestimated the intelligence of their fans and listened to a very vocal segment who weren't on the same ride as the band. Some think that U2 fans maybe simply weren't there in the first place, and U2 spent a lot of time overestimating their fans. I'm not saying that's the case, just that its a common thing said outside here. My belief is that U2 fans are ridiculously diverse and they'll never please all of them all of the time, but that they did make a massive mistake post-Pop. Overcorrection as the other thread calls it.

What if Pop had been a big success in the US? What if fans, like it or not, universally applauded it for being an interesting and organically evolutionary step? What if fans encouraged them to continue on their journey rather than throwing up the big red stop sign and screaming "ENOUGH!! BRING BACK THE 80'S!!!" Do you really think that the next logical step post-Pop was a full on dance album? Were you scared of that? Did you not pay attention? They were getting to a point there, and it was interrupted.

What happens if we bring the hips of dance music beats into our sound and structure, but via our instruments? (Achtung Baby)
What happens if we don't just let electronica be an influence on how we play our rock, but actually bring the electronica into the sound completely? (Zooropa)
What happens if we push far further into electronica than is actual 'rock' and completely let it 'be' the music? (Passengers)
What happens if we, rather then let the electronica guide us, we guide it and use it how we want it, not the other way around as per Zooropa? (Pop)

Personally, I think if U2 were cheered on and encouraged post-Pop, what came next may just have been absolutely stunning. They spent 20 years learning how to play, experimenting with their instruments and sounds and any and every other resource they could get their hands on, and the result? It really shouldn't be ATYCLB or HTDAAB. Achtung Baby is only as experimental as The Joshua Tree and War and Zooropa and Rattle & Hum, it is only so in different ways and scope, and only has a shock factor because it comes post-R&H with no 'bridge' album in between (think War-UF-JT as an example, although there is still clearly the Achtung sound creeping out at the end of God Pt II).

U2 were always experimental, on each album, and therefore the whole thing is simply a progression.

Not the best structure of argument, but somewhere in there is my point.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
True, but by that definition the term "experimental" can really only be applied to a handful of bands then. I guess the question is what truly defines experimenting? And what bands have truly experimented?

Well here's my theory, based on a few observations of the way people use the word "experimental". I think that there's generally a confusion between two completely different things:

1. a band experimenting with different musical styles and,
2. a band making experimental music.

Artists can tackle a huge variety of musical directions, but that doesn't necessarily make them or their music "experimental". No one would ever think of calling Christina Aguilera or Pink "experimental", for example, even though their second albums were drastically different to their first. If U2 have started out their career with an album like Zooropa and then released Boy as their second album, I doubt anyone would have described Boy as an "experimental" album either. It seems like you need to dabble in a very specific style of music in order to be called "experimental".

"Experimental" music is hard to define, but I guess it needs at least a touch of what people conventionally think of as avant-garde, "unconventional", "fringe" etc. It doesn't look like it has to be something new in a broader musical sense at all - some artists can spend two decades making a dozen albums, all not terribly dissimilar to each other, and still get called experimental.

U2 I think have done both in the course of their career - they have a few decidedly experimental tracks (not whole albums though), and they experimented with a wide variety of styles, as well.

I really think that the most interesting unanswerable question in regards to U2 is "What if Pop had been a raging success, or at least respected, or even at the very least accepted?"

Very, very different.

Earnie Shavers said:
I really think that the most interesting unanswerable question in regards to U2 is "What if Pop had been a raging success, or at least respected, or even at the very least accepted?"

Very, very different.

I feel that's a common mis-conception, Pop when it came out was applauded, the major magazines, Q, RS, NME etc all gave it rave reviews. I think it's when the tour started and it wasn't the initial success that was expected the media suddenly decided to rewrite history and say the album was crap, which is bullshit.

I too would love to have known where u2 would be today if Pop was more of a commercial success, to my ears it is a success, it's just not the kinda success that's enough for u2.

Earnie Shavers said:

Very, very different.

I think that in U2's case, an album can't really be accepted unless it's a raging success. That's just how it seems to work with the artists whose releases are expected to sell gazillions.

In my personal opinion though, I think that whatever success POP might have had, in musical terms U2 have run their electronic horse into the ground and that album was a dead end. The whole problem with their 90s direction IMO was that they started off with a peak and it was all downhill after AB. I don't feel POP was leading up to anything except another drastic change in direction, which might still have been their "return to the roofs" despite POP's success. Who knows.

(In response to Lo-Fi)

I actually meant with the public/fans/*cough*US market*cough*.

It's a question we'll sadly never know the answer to.

Earnie Shavers said:
(In response to Lo-Fi)

I actually meant with the public/fans/*cough*US market*cough*.

It's a question we'll sadly never know the answer to.

Sorry, I mis-read your post.

Saracene said:
I'll never know why US market gets continuously singled out for the poor sales of POP. Here in Australia it wasn't exactly selling like hotcakes either.

I think it was really Europe that propped up Pop in the sales figures, I agree, I don't think we can really hold the US market up as the only market that it didn't achieve the figures they wanted. Still, world wide sales of 7 million records is a hell of a lot in my book!

Back
Top Bottom