What kind of condition do you think Bono's voice is in?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shart1780

Rock n' Roll Doggie
How do you think he'll sound on Atomic Bomb? His voice was a little shaky at times on ATYCLB (Wild Honey, When I Look At the World), but it ROCKED at times too (Elevation, Kite). Also, during the tour his voice seemed kind of worn out. I think the cigarettes and booze is starting to take it's toll (enough is enough Bono!!!).

I've heard his voice sounds more powerful and youthful this time around. Maybe he's been doing some vocal exercises over the last few years? I hope so.

Come on Bono, blow us away!!!

Last edited:
On the album I think his voice will be awsome because he's rested it alot, however, on the tour, singing a million shows will really take its toll on Bono, he's really getting on in years! He's never gonna be able to do Bad like he did in the 80's :sad:

Actually I really like how he sings Bad now. He sings it with that softer voice (you know what I mean. Just watch the Bostn DVD). I like the overall sound of his voice better than his 80s sound, but I don't like it when he can't reach the higher notes and sing them powerfully.

His age really has the least to do with it. There are many singers much older than him that have lost very little of their voice. Now, the years of touring, smoking, and drinking are an entirely different story. Mainly the smoking, I'm guessing.

With that said, his voice has seemed much stronger since the Elevation tour ended (2002 Grammy's performance, Oscars, Special Olympics, 46664), so I'm sure it'll sound pretty good on the album too. From the terrible clips we've heard thus far, his voice sounds a lot better than it did on ATYCLB. I think it has a fresher and more energetic tone too.

As for his higher range, it's hard to say. There have been just small segments of post-Elevation performances where he's gone for higher notes, but he still seems capable of them. As for the tour, my guess is that it'll be at least as good as it was during the Elevation tour. Keep in mind that the songs from the new album are designed for his current voice, so those should sound great live and help reduce the overall strain.

Obviously his voice has changed, but I'll still take it over any other vocalist.

Oh, and I forgot about ES. Awesome vocal performance there. Of course, being in the studio helps a little :)

Definitely. I read something about how he use to hit notes every single day that opera singers only hit once a month. That surely had a big impact, but Bono is quoted as saying he lost his higher range due to smoking & drinking.

I wonder how often he smokes these days. The last I remember seeing him smoke was during that NY Times interview (I think), which was about 2 years ago. He seriously needs to completely stop, if he hasn't already.

From what I understand he was beginning to destroy his voice going for those high notes on Bad and such. He had to change his style. Of course that is not say that smoking hasn't changed his voice.

His voice was great on the last record. My favourite period for his singing was ZooTV, he could hit those high notes, falsetto and croon way down at the bottom, something he could not do in the 80's.

Like he said, he "found" his voice again after Pop and hopefully he's still got it. I reckon he does.

Last edited:
I completely agree. I absolutely love his vocal on Lemon from the Sydney video, among pretty much every song from the tour/video :)

I'd definitely say he still has it. The vocals from the leaked tracks very much suggest that. The vocal on Vertigo sounds much stronger than anything from ATYCLB. It's hard to be sure due to the quality of the recordings, but it sure seems that way.

g0rman said:
His age really has the least to do with it. There are many singers much older than him that have lost very little of their voice. Now, the years of touring, smoking, and drinking are an entirely different story. Mainly the smoking, I'm guessing.

I recently saw THE WHO in concert, and Roger Daltrey's voice is still very powerful and does not sound like Bono's "weak" voice on tour. Roger does not smoke, so maybe that's all it is. I think Bono's voice will be in as good of shape as it could be now in his life.

anyone else feeling vertigo after 4 years of waiting?

"I CAN FEEEEEEL THE ENERGY!" - "Vertigo"

g0rman said:
Definitely. I read something about how he use to hit notes every single day that opera singers only hit once a month. That surely had a big impact, but Bono is quoted as saying he lost his higher range due to smoking & drinking.

That's pretty accurate. Back in the eighties, in some songs, he'd hit notes four or five times that opera singers only hit once a month, and add that up! Let's presume it happened four times each during ten songs of a twenty song set. Then ten concerts a month. That means he's hitting a note FOUR HUNDRED TIMES in the month that an opera singer has only hit ONCE. That's definitely taken its toll. Go listen to concerts such as 18 December 1989, Amsterdam - it's actually quite scary because he's in full flight when his voice suddenly gives out (though the 18/12/89 performance of God Part II is my favourite because of that - it's a unique and fascinating, albeit painful, performance).

With regards to the smoking, I recall reading he now only smokes occasionally, and only on social occasions.

Last edited:
hmmm, i had "vocal issues" with my own voice a little while ago. causes a similiar kind of effect to what happens to bonos voice - i couldnt hit high notes at all, and when i tried it was really strained and used to crack and vanish entirely sometimes. it can be really frustrating and i would go through bad patches where i would lose my voice totally about once a week.
it was just down to using it badly, speaking too loudly, too much drinking and too much time in smokey bars and pubs. and i'm literally half bonos age! so the strain and damage he must have done to his voice over the years is unthinkable.
that said, 6 months in therapy and a bit of cutting down on the "excesses" in life and my voice is crystal clear
i'm not saying any of the medical crap i suffered has happened to bono, but its amazing what a little bit of rest and care for the voice can do.
i have no doubt that after all this time the big man knows how to look after himself properly though and hopefully 4 years between albums has helped rest his voice up a bit too!
i haven't heard any of the leaked stuff, but hopefully what you guys say about his voice is right - i miss the times when bono used to be able to "soar", we didnt see much of that on the last album, although all in all i prefer the style of his voice now over the early stuff

Weren't there rumors, from the people that heard the songs, that his singing on the album is better than it has been in years? I remember people even comparing it to War times.

Of course drinking and smoking change the voice, but IMO all those high notes over the years were the main reason for the changes in his voice.

Robert Plant had one of the greatest voices in rock. He's still a good singer, but he isn't going to hit the notes he hit in "immigrant Song" anymore. Age can be a factor in some cases.

I just hope that they take it easy on tour. At Earls Court on the last tour his voice was cristal clear and he reached the high notes like I hadn't heard him do for years ('Bad' for example) and there was no straining. By concert four, he was struggling. Of course at the time he had some difficult personal things going on but I think back to back concerts take their toll.

If this tour is a stadium / outdoor then I'm sure they will have more space between gigs which should be much easier on Bono's voice and on Larry who finds the shows phisically very demanding.

Each time I saw him on the Elevation Tour he was vocally bang on form, especially the second night at Earls Court in London. He proved to me that night he's still got it. He just needs to look after himself a bit more on tour, which I'm sure he will. I think we'll see more gaps between shows just to rest his voice. After all, I'm sure they'll be charging a good bit of money on this tour, so I would like to think he'll look after his voice!

And from the little windy clips we've heard, he's sounding pretty tight as well. Steve Lillyewhite has said he's singing the best he has for years. I like his voice right now, it has a lot of maturity to it. I miss the 'soaring' voice he had in the TJT days, but I've pretty much loved each stage of his voice change.

On Electrical Storm he sounded fresher and stronger than on anything from Pop and All That You Can't Leave Behind; i was surprised and pleased by this...and to add to that, the leaked clips suggest this will carry over to the new stuff. Overall, I am expecting him to sound stronger and clearer (as on E-Storm) but not as powerful as his '80s days, which is ok since i think '91 and onwards has seen him become a much better singer.

I thought Bono sounded really strong on the last tour. He had some rough times during the Popmart, but since then he quit (cut back) smoking and had surgery. For some reason Bono sounded better live than he did on ATYCLB. From the Vertigo clip he sounded very loud and energetic. Bono Vox will come through.

it seems to me that it'll be in really good condition on this album. post-elevation clips that would support this include "special olympics, bono/springsteen cover at springsteen concert, when the stars go blue cover, ES, 46664, the new version of Gone, and even the really short clips from boston symphony hall at the dnc. and of course the leaked new album clips seem to be sounding great too, doesn't sound like there's any trouble with the high notes. I like it, I like it alot.

His voice is what made him "bono" without that it's like something is missing. I know he can't sing like he did in the 80s but as someone said i don't think age has to do with it. If he takes care of his voice , no drinking, smoking, maybe he could sing better. I hope in this new album he sounds more like his age (he's not that old anyway) and not like a tired 55 or 60 year old.

his voice on the windy version of 'LOVE PEACE OR ELSE' seems to be very pressed. i don't like that kind of singing. hopefully they lift his voice during the mixing process.
i really love his voice on AB esp. UTEOTW. enough said we all will know how he sounds on 22/11/2004

babyman said:
the same of the last record, we'll never hear his old voice again :( :( :(

Actually, I thought some of Bono's best vocals were found on ATYCLB.

As great as AB is, Bono did not have to do any fancy singing there, same with "Zooropa". And I felt Bono was a bit hit & miss with "Pop".

However, with ATYCLB, he finally hit some upper register notes that I hadn't heard him hit since UF!! Did his voice crack a bit? Yes - it also cracked on UF (listed to the CD single of "Pride"). Bono is a good singer, not great. The studio helps. ;) But it's his vocals and lyrics that first won me over and I was thrilled with what I heard on ATYCLB.

With ES and HTBA, Bono's vocals were top notch (with great wails and operatic bits). He sounded even better on those songs than he did on ATYCLB. And based on the clips I've heard, Bono sounds great.

So I think his vocals will be great - on the album at least. We'll see if he can survive a tour. But note, even during JT and R&H, his voice often went out. More proof that he's a good singer, not great. But his "good" is brilliant to my ears (love his voice!).

Axver said:

That's pretty accurate. Back in the eighties, in some songs, he'd hit notes four or five times that opera singers only hit once a month, and add that up! Let's presume it happened four times each during ten songs of a twenty song set. Then ten concerts a month. That means he's hitting a note FOUR HUNDRED TIMES in the month that an opera singer has only hit ONCE. That's definitely taken its toll. Go listen to concerts such as 18 December 1989, Amsterdam - it's actually quite scary because he's in full flight when his voice suddenly gives out (though the 18/12/89 performance of God Part II is my favourite because of that - it's a unique and fascinating, albeit painful, performance).

With regards to the smoking, I recall reading he now only smokes occasionally, and only on social occasions.

Could you send me that song, please? CodeOfAHero@aol.com

re the discussion about why his voice has deteriorated over the years, and comparing him to other singers who have maintained their voices longer:
It should be remembered that Bono's voice was always a much more delicate one that a Plant or a Daltrey, so whether or not he smoked, there is no way he was going to sing like he did thru Joshua Tree for the rest of his life. I'm not saying smoking helped, but it wouldn't have lasted even without it.

I too am nervous about Bono's declining vocals. Now I know I may be speaking out about the "holy grail," but Bono was told by a doctor that if he did not lay-off of the smokes he could loose his voice altogether, and as we have all seen in photo after photo: the smokes are still in hand. You have also heard the story of his daughters giving him kisses to see if he had been smoking because of what the doctor had told him.

So with that said, (considering the decline in vocal strength '80-present, e.g. falsetto of today vs. throat [should have been diaphragm] singing of days gone by, etc.) who else here is afraid of what Bono may now sound like?

RobVox

Back
Top Bottom