What Johnny Rotten says about Bono

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BEVERLY56

Refugee
Just read this in my local newspaper today:

"Sex Pistols singer John Lydon - the former Johnny Rotten - has a problem with Bono, the do-gooder rock star, says the New York Post, quoting gigwise.com: 'Every time I see Bono in those big fly glasses and tight leather pants, I just can't hack it', Lydon said. 'I can't see that as solving the world's problems. He's wearing tight trousers for world peace.'

Not content to stop there, Lydon went hunting for another halo-wearing popster, Bob Geldof, the organizer of Live 8. 'It was a very shoddy and weak production', Lydon said. 'I don't think it achieved anything, Bob. Geldof is too self-serving'. "

Tight trousers for world peace? Gimme a break! And I haven't seen the leather ones in quite a while!

Your thoughts, please?

He said something like that a few months ago too.
At the end of the day, it's just another one of those generic 'criticise Bono' comments. Nothing new, although i'm sure he thought he sounded clever when he said it.

I don't like John Lydon, in case you couldn't tell.

Rotten/Lydon and the rest of the surviving Pistols lost all credibility when they staged their comeback tour a few years ago. The antithesis of punk, and possibly the greatest sellout of all time.

Personally I thought the Sex Pistols were a talentless publicity stunt to begin with, but their great importance was showing aspiring musicians that if they could make it, anyone could. The Ramones they are not.

Uh, guys - Bono would probably be the first to tell you that, without John Lydon, there probably wouldn't be a U2. And, apart from The Sex Pistols, Lydon was also the nucleus of PiL, one of THE great experimental post-punk bands, whose first guitarist, Keith Levene, is acknowledged to have been a huge influence on The Edge (listen to PiL's "Public Image"; then listen to "I Will Follow," released two years later). John Lydon may be an obnoxious wacko, and you may not like his music, but he's more than earned his place in music history.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I think Johnny Rotten was just having a little fun teasing Bono - I don't think it was meant as anything more than that.

Now, if he started going into some Henry Rollins type rant, that would be different. But teasing a guy for wearing tighter pants and shades is just having a bit of fun.

lazarus said:
Rotten/Lydon and the rest of the surviving Pistols lost all credibility when they staged their comeback tour a few years ago. The antithesis of punk, and possibly the greatest sellout of all time.

Sellout? Call it filthy lucre!
:D

Sounds ike old John is jelous that he does not look as hot as Bono does in his leather pants..GDamn, I miss those leathA pants:drool: But serious, I really like The Sex pistols I do believe they had an influence on U2 earlier music.

doctorwho said:
I think Johnny Rotten was just having a little fun teasing Bono - I don't think it was meant as anything more than that.

Now, if he started going into some Henry Rollins type rant, that would be different. But teasing a guy for wearing tighter pants and shades is just having a bit of fun.

I cannot wait to find some kind of article on this Henry Rollins. I still do not know what he has said about U2 or what he has against them?
:shrug: :confused:

oh and i am sure the pistols were an influence on U2.. but i don't think they were a huge influence.

i think from what U2 took from the pistols was that you can get by without having to actually have knowledge of instruments..

i think what U2 took away from the ramones was that you didn't need 90 different solos or huge techinically challenging songs.

i think what U2 took from the clash is that there can be an intensity and way to channel anger through music and make it mean something as well as say something.

david said:
oh and i am sure the pistols were an influence on U2.. but i don't think they were a huge influence.

i think from what U2 took from the pistols was that you can get by without having to actually have knowledge of instruments.

Did you read that somewhere, or are you conjecturing based on your own bias?

I found this quote from Larry at the Hall of Fame induction ceremony:

"The Sex Pistols, Television, Roxy Music, Patti Smith - these people are in our rock'n'roll hall of fame. Thank you."

Last edited:
Carmelu2fan said:

I cannot wait to find some kind of article on this Henry Rollins. I still do not know what he has said about U2 or what he has against them?
:shrug: :confused:

whos henry rollins???

I would agree with the poster that said he is a talentless twat! He has no grounds for critising anyone the crap he made and don't somebody post a reply saying "Never mind the bollox" is a classic album. Its an album that has virtually the same song on it all the way through. John Lydon errrr Rotten or whatever the fuc#his name is.....Your a celebrity? get the fuck out of here!:wink:

rotten and the sex pistols have been a tremendous influence on U2 and all of post-punk music. but that doesn't mean we have to care about rotten's politics. just cause he's a musician doesn't mean he understands the third world. we have more multi-faceted people for that, just like the ones rotten is pissed at.

Fly sunglasses?? Leather trousers? Methinks Johnny has been watching his copy of ZooTV: Live at Sydney a little too much! :wink:

Shade said:

Did you read that somewhere, or are you conjecturing based on your own bias?

I found this quote from Larry at the Hall of Fame induction ceremony:

"The Sex Pistols, Television, Roxy Music, Patti Smith - these people are in our rock'n'roll hall of fame. Thank you."

Uh yeah man I'm not saying The Sex Pistols didn't influence them at all, I'm just saying The Clash and The Ramones influenced U2 more. Everything I read in regards to The Sex Pistols influence on U2 has always been about the attitude of punk that U2 saw and took in.

QUESTION: What kind of impact did the British punk movement have on you? The Clash, the Sex Pistols?

BONO: John Lydon's voice was extraordinary. It was like that Munch picture, "The Scream." It was just this big howl. He was second generation Irish living in England. The Sex Pistols were just blowing everything out of the way. It was an incredible roar of Rock 'n' Roll, the Clash, too. I mean, we related to the Clash. The politics. But I think it was more ... just the way they walked. [he chuckles] It was the shoes, both of them.

all mindless babble in the direction of John Lydon is immediately cancelled out by the fact that this guy is responsible for the album 'Metal Box' [or 'Second Edition' :eyebrow: to any yanks here...]with Public Image Ltd.

good day to you.

Last edited:
Carmelu2fan said:

Your guess is as good as mine, buddie!!:slant:

Former Black Flag frontman. I read one of his books of poetry last year and didn't find one anti-U2 slur, though that tends to come up in his spoken word live shows.

I'm by no means a big fan of his, but he is actually a pretty cool guy if you go past all that shit.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
my thoughts are we're actually discussing something said by johnny rotten.

what's next, a thread on the political ideals of jessica simpson?

please...

well, i'd WATCH jessica simpson talk about stuff... i dunno if id listen.

I would have to say it sounds like jealousy to me. Here is a hasbeen in his 50's, probably not doing a thing to change the world or at least try. Here in La Steve Jones is a DJ on a radio station called Indie 103.1. And he is the only DJ on that radion station that does not play any U2. Maybe he is a poor sport for his band not getting chosen for the RNRHOF. Hum , maybe so is Johnny.

Back
Top Bottom