What is your favorite NON-CONCERT U2 memory?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

One Tree Still

Acrobat
I have a couple -

My best U2 memory -

One is me, riding up to Whistler / Blackcomb late at night in Dec 1987 - in a old Volkswagen Bus - with my walkman on - listening to my Unforgettable Fire tape (several times over). It cemented that album as a "winter" album in my mind. I was looking out the window and the music was like a soundtrack to the landscapes I was seeing (dark, snowy fields - starry skies, the city lights of Vancouver). It was pretty sweet.

Another one -

My sister bought JT right when it came out - at the time I was a very casual U2 fan, but she called me out to watch the WOWY video and I stood there in awe.
I immediately copied the tape and ran across the street to my best friend's house and said - "come up to your room and listen to this tape...". The rest was history.

Seeing the "Big Heads" for the first time parading down the street in 'The Sweetest Thing" video and laughing my arse off!

At the time I had no idea they'd been around since the Zoo TV tour and thought they were the most hiliarious things...ever.

Best Memory,

Seing the video Mysterious Ways on MTV when AB was coming out!! Who knew that after months and months of avoiding the video I would actually sit my ass down and watch it AND that it would change the rest of my musical life forever!! I feel in love with the band thanks to this song and video! So it's a precious memory!!:yes:

My favorite memory is the 8 1/2hr trip(driving) with my siblings in my mom old cutless chevy station wagon to go see U2 in concert at LA Col. that was in 1997 and was my first time EVER seeing the band.

Walking back from the computer lab after having listened to the only 2 u2 albums I had at the time over and over back in late sept of 1997... just one day after what was at the time one of the lowest night of my life and realizing the real capture the songs had over me...and that I still cared about god and hope and lots of other things I thought I had thrown away.

watching the Interference video and realising that it's not just the songs, the music and the band members that I love. their film clips are brilliant as well. A realisation of just how immense U2's talent is. A U2 rush :)
another one
A friend gave me BP Fallon's book as a gift. I remember that nice feeling when I realised what it was....treasure:)

reading the flanagan bible in astronomy class and pretending that i was laughing cos "quark" is a funny word

after quickly hiding the book under my coat of course

Mine would be re-creating the Beautiful Day video with my best friend at the airport in Phoenix the day before the concert. We took pictures of us in Bono-poses throughout the airport. We even did the apple on the luggage rack thingy. People gave us some weird stares, but it was worth it! :D She actually got to go to Paris earlier this month, so re-created it again at the actual airport in the vid. Let me tell you, the pictures a frickin' hilarious!

kariatari said:
Mine would be re-creating the Beautiful Day video with my best friend at the airport in Phoenix the day before the concert. We took pictures of us in Bono-poses throughout the airport. We even did the apple on the luggage rack thingy. People gave us some weird stares, but it was worth it! :D She actually got to go to Paris earlier this month, so re-created it again at the actual airport in the vid. Let me tell you, the pictures a frickin' hilarious!

:)) Show us some pictures or video! :))

Man, there are lots.

-Walking to the drugstore with my friend freshman year of high school to buy some magazines with U2 on the cover. Just walking and talking with her about how much we loved them was really cool.

-The day my dad came home with our Zoo Tv tickets. He acted as if he hadn't been able to get them, then he pulled them out of his coat pocket. :hyper: It's funny now, but I was pissed for a split second!

-Listening to Achtung Baby for the very first time, on my walkman, on a Sunday night in May. It was love at first listen, and to this day is my favorite U2 album.

-Chicago, Vegas, 2001. :up: Meeting a bunch of you guys and sharing the love of these 4 guys. :D

There are so many great memories, but the ones that stick out most are
Buying Under a Blood Red Sky in early 1987 and getting hooked on U2...
Making a GIANT U2 Rattle and Hum banner and winning a radio contest in 1992
Uhmm, this one is kinda embarassing but back then I would die my hair black so it would be as dark as Bonos and I got rid of my bangs at one point so my hair would look like his in the JT days, lol, my family really thought I had lost it back then....
Traveling to Palm Springs to find the "Bono" restaurant...
Multiple trips to different used record stores in Italy in search of something U2 that I didnt already have...
And I guess now the most vivid and unforgettable memory would be Sundays events, meeting Bono in Hollywood will be a memory forever cherished... wow .

Being 11 years old and totally into Kylie Minouge. My friend Lindsay and I were listening to her cd over and over again when her dad came home with a new cd and wanted to listen to it (this was in the days when it was cool to have a cd player, and people only had 1 in the house). We were lying on the floor singing along to 'locamotion' when he switched to Rattle n' Hum. I remember hearing Helter Skelter for the first time and falling in love with the band. That is my first u2 memory, and one of my favorite's.

I also remember one fall night when I was driving to go help a friend with her radio show. It was really dark and I was driving on a really hilly road listening to POP at full volume. It was pretty amazing.

Mine would be:

- buying Under a Blood Red Sky all those years ago and getting hooked into the band

- not believing my luck when I managed to get tickets for Slane Castle gig (1st one) online! You should have seen me jumping about in my flat screaming....yes! Yes YES! :D

- telling my fellow deaf U2 fans that I have got them tickets to see their favourites after I kept telling them beforehand that "oh, its gonna be pretty difficult to get tickets and so on" Their reaction? Gobsmacked! :D

- Meeting the four guys after the shows..... does that count? You did say NON-CONCERT

- gosh Ive so many to recall here but these'll do for now

this is a good topic!

dougal

dougal, funny we both got hooked on U2 because of Under A Blood Red Sky!!! That album totally did it for me too:yes:

I remember the chills I got when the fellas came out for 'Streets' in the Rattle and Hum movie (saw it on opening night).
It took me about 2 minutes to realize that the film had switched to color...

This is kind of funny -

I remember going to Tower on University Ave at midnight in Nov of 1991 to buy Achtung Baby. We went back to the house (a bunch of us guys rented a house during college at Washington) and played the cd. I remember being totally pissed and "hating" almost every track the first listen through. I was hoping for another JT. Of course, it ended up being perfect!

Yo U2SJ!

Yeah that album UABRS really did it for me cos my college friends told me about U2 so I didnt expect anything special when I got UABRS. Boy, how wrong I was! I was amazed by the sounds and energy of the songs! Electric Co was the song that I kept playing again and again!

Glad to know someone out there had the same thing! :D

dougal

i'm a "new" U2 fanatic, so I don't have memories from the good old days, but my favourite would have to be listening to best of 1980-1990 CD that I got as a present three times that same night and falling in love with them .....

- Seeing the beautiful day video for the first time on TV after all that wait.
- Listening to the Rattle and Hum version of WOWY (by the way, best version ever) while driving late at night.
- Playing "In a little while", "Please" and "Stuck in a moment" when i was so mad from not being able to get any tickets to any of the elevation shows (ok maybe this is not a good memory....stupid ticket company scams)

......so many others so little time.......

Well what is funny is that I was into Duran Duran and I needed "new"music so a friend of mine brought me to Tower to buy that album as it was her favorite.... then I got obsessed that year after seeing JT live, and about 5 years ago for a Bday gift the same friend gave me a frame with the ORIGINAL receipt from buying that album at Tower from '87 and also the ticket stub from the JT concert.... she had saved the receipt all those years!!!
In the frames it sais "The day I discovered U2" (with the receipt under it) and then "The day I saw U2 live" with the stub under it!

I remember the time when my friend Dave (RIP) showed me how to play the opening notes/riff to "Streets" on the guitar.

(He also showed me how to play the bass-line from 'Every Breath You Take' and the opening riff to "Sweet Child O' Mine" that day).

I remember hanging around my apartment with my roommates watching MTV during the summer of 1987. We would all go nuts whenever a U2 video came on. And I remember during the VMAs that year U2 was up for a viewer's choice award (I think it was for the With or Without You video), and we all called in to vote for them. And they won! Good times...

When I was 15 (i think), a friend of mine and I were at a church, waiting for him to take off to Mexico with the rest of the people to do some charity work, to help the unfortunate...donate clothes, food, build houses, etc...We sat there, talking about what tapes he should take to listen to on the ride up there. I, being the U2 freak that I am, told him to take Unforgettable Fire and to think of me when he heard the songs on the album. He thought about it, then he said..."everytime i hear this album, i will think of you."

memories...

Meeting a fellow U2 fan through Propaganda magazine,which has led to a 7 years of corresponding with each other. Finally we got to meet one another, when I flew out to Phoenix for a U2 concert in April of 2001. :happy:

Also a new fan, so my memory list isn't big, but here's a couple I can think of right now...

-Hearing "Angel Of Harlem" for the first time on the radio-I just fell in love with that song right away, and it's still my favorite U2 song to this day.
-Seeing the Elevation: Live from Boston and Slane Castle concerts on T.V.-just made me even more anxious to actually go to a U2 concert myself one day, and the Elevation one was what introduced me to the other U2 songs I'd never heard before, therefore furthering the start of my U2 fandom
-Hearing "Stuck In A Moment" on the radio in a friend's car one day, and hearing the verse that goes, "I never thought you were a fool, but darling look at you", etc.-that verse was very helpful to me for the rest of that school year.

If I recall any more I'll list them later on.

Angela

Back in 2000, hearing The Joshua Tree on the way home for Thanksgiving (almost a three hour drive). That's was clinched being a U2 fan for me, and I had a copy of the CD made for me (which I still have).

Quite a recent one actually. I was in my car on the way to work on Sunday morning, yes Sunday morning. All of a sudden a work in progress version of Electrical Storm was played on my radio courtesy of Radio One here in the UK, it was last August, I almost punched the roof of my car when " to wash away our bad luck " and the Bono wail bit was on.

Back
Top Bottom