What is your favorite Edge guitar and guitar riff?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What is your favorite Edge guitar?

• Gibson Explorer

Votes: 22 40.0%
  • Gibson SG

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • Gibson Les Paul

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Gibson Les Paul Gold Top

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • Fernendes

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Rickenbaker

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gretsch

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Fender(s)

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I know nothing about guitars, but I love all of them!!! :)

Votes: 9 16.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Edgette

ONE love, blood, life
I asked Edge this question, but he didn't answer it. So I'm asking all of you. :D

What is your favorite Edge guitar?

Also, you can mention what your favorite Edge riff is. That's the harder question.

Gibson Explorer

04943U2.jpg

Gibson SG

edge131.jpg

Gibson Les Paul

edge1159.jpg

Gibson Les Paul Gold Top

7a894bc4.jpg

Fernendes

cf192073.jpg

Rickenbaker

45cdda65.jpg

Gretsch

913bd559.jpg

Fenders

07dd2c96.jpg

edge119.jpg

Last edited:
My favorite Edge guitar is the Explorer. :drool: He's had it practically since he's started playing and it has the most distinctive sound. You always know when he's using it.

My favorite Edge riff would either be from "The Fly" or "Discotheque". :up:

I voted for the last one.. then I scrolled down and saw the pictures.

So I've decided that I like the Gibson Explorer and the Gibson SG. :up:

Souly said:
I voted for the last one.. then I scrolled down and saw the pictures.

So I've decided that I like the Gibson Explorer and the Gibson SG. :up:

The SG is a great guitar too. :up: Pete Townshend uses one as well. Too bad Edge only uses it on one song....at least as of writing this. :wink:

Last edited:
I love the Gibson Les Paul...such a beautiful guitar, amazing sound. :drool:

And my favorite riff: Bullet in the Blue Sky.

I picked Fernendes for an obvious reason.... POPMART. That being my very first U2 concert and getting to hear them Live... Oooo it gave me Chills each time Edge would play. 'Specially w/that guitar.
*still has the image of Edge in the white cowboy outfit Implanted into her memory*

Oh yeah. I also burnt out a lighter i had with me 'coz I held it up all during With or Without You... i didn't put the lighter down for one single second while they played. It was so cool to watch the sound coming from Edge's guitar hit the flame each time ^_^
ok i'm done

I worship the Gibson Explorer. That is such an awesome guitar. I have an electric guitar that looks exactly the same as Edge's black Strat (although it's a cheap imitation), but even that can't sway me to vote against the absolute awesomeness of the Gibson Explorer.

I personally love 11 O'clock Tick Tock. Edge's solo on that is simply scorching (just watch the Under A Blood Red Sky video), and if you are reading this, EDGE, YOU MUST PLAY 11 O'CLOCK TICK TOCK ON THE NEXT TOUR!

Axver said:

I personally love 11 O'clock Tick Tock. Edge's solo on that is simply scorching (just watch the Under A Blood Red Sky video), and if you are reading this, EDGE, YOU MUST PLAY 11 O'CLOCK TICK TOCK ON THE NEXT TOUR!

I got to hear 'Tick Tock on the last tour, in Chicago (5-15-01). It was funny because my friends and I met the band before the show and Bono asked us what we would like to hear. My friend asked for Tick Tock. B said that they would try it. We really wanted to hear Party Girl or Dirty Day. But sure enough, they blasted into Tick Tock...after a false start though. :drunk:

Last edited:
I voted for the Explorer just because it's so essential to Edge and the music of U2. I do have a weakness for fat guitars, like Gretsch and Rickenbacker.

:love:
35012v63.jpg

:drool:
G6122SP_md.jpg

If money was no object, I would collect guitars, there is something so beautiful about a fat, shiny electric guitar.

dsmith2904 said:

If money was no object, I would collect guitars, there is something so beautiful about a fat, shiny electric guitar.

I probably would too. And if I could play them, it would help a lot. :shifty:

I'm so jealous of people with a massive guitar collection. Gredge from Elevation USA has nearly every Edge guitar and he keeps getting more. He's getting the Fernendes this week, hopefully for the show tonight.

Explorer all the way. :drool: I loved the way it looked so much when I first saw the Beautiful Day video, that I had to go out and buy an imitation for myself.

As for my favourite riff; "Gloria"!

My favorite guitar riff...

I'd have to say that killer riff in "Discotheque". Good lord, that one is great.

My fav. Edge guitar is the Explorer, with the Gold Top and Creme Les Pauls and the Black-on-Black-changed-to-Black-on-White Fender Strat.

that blue Tele in the Vertigo video is totalyl cool though! i've always kinda wanted to get a Tele, and now i just have to have one!

My fav riff? New Year's Day is awesome, Vertigo rocks, Discotheque kicks, Mysterious Ways is cooler than cool, but i love the guitar on 11 O'Clock and Bad the best!

edit: Edgette, those pics are great!

I went for the Gibson Les Paul, only cause it is such a classic guitar and it is the only guitar out of the list that I have actually played, they have such a nice sound and are very easy to play....

my fave riffs are,

Out of control
The three sunrises- unusual one I know, but just listen to it again and you will hear what I mean..
In Gods Country- if only it was five times longer!!!
Pride- its a classic and sooooooooooo Edge:wink:

however I think that when Edge makes it back to Australia that he should pick up one of our fine 'Maton' guitars. I got an electric acoustic one of these last year and it is just superb. They are equisite guitars and sound absolutely amazing,

My Guitar
EM325C_large.jpg

This is what Edge should get
ms2000dlxcherry.jpg

MS2000DLX - Mastersound Deluxe Carve Top

This model is loaded with extra features including pearl block inlays, customized inner binding and two humbuckers that switch between single coil and humbucking giving the player greater options. The MS2000 DLX offers superior clean tone with the highest quality materials throughout.

Body: Silkwood, Qld Maple or Bunya
Veneer: Figured Victorian Ash or Rock Maple
Neck: Rock Maple
Fingerboard: Bound Rosewood w/ Jumbo
fret wire, 12 inch radius.
Inlays: Mother of Pearl Block Inlays
Bridge: Chrome TonePros T1Z locking
tailpiece and T3B-T bridge
Finish: High Gloss
Machines: Grover Deluxe
Inner Banding: Quadruple
Outer Banding: White
Bridge Pickup: Maton Dlx Humbucker (C'tap)
Neck Pickup: Maton Dlx Humbucker (C'tap)
Controls: 2 Volume, 2 Tone (1 w/C'tap)
3 way selector switch.
Scale: 24.5 inches
Nut: 42mm

I want this guitar:drool:

Last edited:
well, I can't say which gutair is my fave for several reasons.

1) Most important as a Visual Artist [drawer, painter, photographer] with Professional experiance as well as the schooling--
I've never been close enough (or at least closer-up) at A [6] u2 concert :scream: to have the visual opportunity to attach a real visual image to my memory of Edge playing a particular gutair for a particular song.

This might be remedied once I can finally get vids of the older & newer videos. Never had a vcr till 2002-- tho I could prgram my sis's years before I had one :D .

you might say :huh:, "..what's that got to do with anything....?"

I'll tell ya at least for me.......
I'm on the older side of u2 fandom. I've had several real serious fandoms in R&R before them. The Who, Bruce , Patti Smith Group & Televsion previous to u2. And a whole bunch of 2nd level bands(second of me, that is from these ultrafavs0

And I've seen all of them a bunch of times. Many of them up-close alot!

I could and did draw The Who Live! dozens of times...2 or 3 times bigger, finished type work and plently of "Concert Sketches" at home/SCHOOL/WORK remembering....and IN celebration of them, their music and their Live! performances. :love: :dance: :dance:

So I could draw Pete with both his Stratocasters and his Les Pauls....etc.
But The Edge :shrug: not yettttt..... but that might change

2)R&R still plays a Big part in my life, but I have 2 other major non-musical fandoms and a bunch of serious, beloved hobbes/crafts I'm also involved in.

SO I don't have as much extended time and less money than 10 yrs ago. I don't look at the american or brit music papers ( from the 70's into early-80's) as i did 18 yrs ago, or even thumb through occasionaly by the specialized gutair mags like i once for interviews with Townshend.

And my favorite Punk/New Wave mag {that ontro'd me to u2 in 1980---Neqw York Rocker folded in about ?82 or 83. That was, like, the last straw...though I still read RS from time to time.

But after all this :) i can say some of my fav riffs & sonics....

The rip-stop sonics in Surrender & Three Sunrises
The cascading melody/sheets of high-octave notes in In God's Country
The "bell-chimes" in IWF Boston DVD, in Three Sunrises
Melody & sonics of I Threw A Brick
The buzzing melody under Even Better's....Chorus
Beautiful Day's bell-tone melodies
the agonied fury of Acrobat
I love the new clangs in Vertigo

of course there's some other favs-- but these have been upper most in my mind for years ::applaud:

Last edited:
My favorite Edge guitar to listen to him is without a doubt his Black Strat and to hear him play Streets with that is incredible. But the coolest guitar is one of his Les Paul's i think it's a Deluxe, it makes me want to get one soooo bad. :drool:

My 5 favorite riffs are

1) Streets the intro (isn't this everyones favorite riff ???)

2) Ultraviolet - for some reason that riff where Bono starts singing "Oh child wipe those tears from your eyes" really hits me, but the whole series of riffs after that are awesome.

3) All I Want Is You - right from the beginning it sound so cool

4) The Fly - this song has some awesome riffs

5) Love is Blindness - the riffing in this song right from the start creates a mood that would not even need vocals to convey the message.

So 3 of these are from AB and 2 from JT which is why these 2 albums are my fave i guess. :wink:

Last edited:
I Love the opening riff to REJOICE off of october, and I love the guitar in THE OCEAN! U2 RULES

Gibson Explorer
I draw it in school (for works) a lot!

riff: Fire, Wire, Gone

My favorite guitar is the Les Paul.

Favorite riff is the one from "In A Little While" (at least at this moment). Very simple, but I just love it.

I have always been in love with the Gibson Les Paul Gold Top!! :love:

I really like The Explorer, his classic Gibson Les Paul, the awesome Rickenbaker and I sure as hell hope that he uses his SG more often. :up:

Favorite guitar riff: The Fly, Until The End Of The World, I Will Follow and Sunday Bloody Sunday (not the one he uses to open the song but the more rock and roll one). I love them all!!!!!! :evil:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom