What Is Your favorite Bono?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
with that said, above, I'm stay away from this topic! Damn PLEBA threads to hell!
icon38.gif

biggrin.gif

------------------
"It's Evolution Baby!"

Well, since we DON'T know him, we will never know. I wasn't just going by stage personas, I was going by interviews, comments and video clips and pics and things he's done over time. He was different on the inside- JT Bono would never have wanted to shave his head and hang out in dance clubs, he was a different person. He became much more of a drinker and party boy as time went on, and he has gone through various stages of spirituality. Elevation Bono was a much more soft and cuddly, nostalgic, God is in the house, caring, less arrogant Bono than he had been the last few years. He has changed, not just physically, but emotionally and spiritually and more. Like Edge says, 'he's a great bunch of guys.' But really, none of us know him personally so we can't accurately say.

[This message has been edited by Desire4Bono (edited 04-10-2002).]

Originally posted by Desire4Bono:
Well, since we DON'T know him, we will never know. I wasn't just going by stage personas, I was going by interviews and video clips and pics and things he's done over time. But really, none of us know him personally so we can't accurately say.

Ok last thing! EXACTLY! So I don't get it when people in the past have said "He wasn't the same man" blah blah stuff. Its like... Oh my!"

smile.gif

------------------
"It's Evolution Baby!"

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
All of 'em. It's the same guy underneath.

Sigh, not again. No he isn't. He has changed on the inside as well as the outside, personality, attitude, ways, and it's all a part of the package at the time. Like I tried to say, some are more desirable and appealing than others. His images are more than clothes and hair, more than skin deep, so I consider not just the looks but the entire package.

Originally posted by DoTheEvolution:
Ok last thing! EXACTLY! So I don't get it when people in the past have said "He wasn't the same man" blah blah stuff. Its like... Oh my!"

Just as I don't know for sure, neither do you, so you can't say for sure he was 'the same man underneath blah blah.' I get sick when people say that, it's like they're trying to be sanctimonious or trying to prove they are somehow a 'better person' by going 'looks don't matter' and all that garbage. Remember what Edge said "A great bunch of guys" that has to tell you something. He is one, but he is not the same! Truthfully, NONE of us know this for sure, so it's really crazy to fight over something that cannot be proven right or wrong.

Just as I don't know for sure, neither do you, so you can't say for sure he was 'the same man underneath blah blah.' I get sick when people say that, it's like they're trying to be sanctimonious or trying to prove they are somehow a 'better person' by going 'looks don't matter' and all that garbage. Remember what Edge said "A great bunch of guys" that has to tell you something. He is one, but he is not the same! Truthfully, NONE of us know this for sure, so it's really crazy to fight over something that cannot be proven right or wrong.

So why bring it up all the time?
confused.gif
In the past people have always said, Bono changed during this period, his personality wasn't the same. If no one knows for sure? Yet, people still say that, like you, in your previous post? But I understand its your own personal opinion!
smile.gif

I just HONESTLY think, a lot people get so hunged up on Bono's looks! I've said in the past I don't care how he looks, and really I don't. And I know it's different for everyone, so maybe I'm just trying to understand the why people feel how they do. Maybe that's why in the past I argued too much with people. I'm still puzzled by how some people think, but I'm learning to just say.. "well, that's how they feel" Maybe I'm just Weird.

------------------
Looking for the one
But you know you're
somewhere else instead..
I want to be the song
Be the song that you hear in your head .....

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica*.???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

My favorite Bono has plenty of jet black hair, black leather, no facial hair to spoil his cute cheeks or dimpled chin, and no shades to cover the baby blues. If he has all the other things in my recipe, I can deal with the shades. So that describes either AB Bono or current Bono, those are the best to me. I also have a sort of crush on mid-80's Bono with the little beret-type hat.

------------------
~"Mirrors on the ceiling, we drink champagne on ice, and she said "we are all just prisoners here, of our own device"~

From Hotel California, but referring to those of us trapped in Mr. MacPhisto's dungeon

Errrm, as soon as Ali or one of the band members starts posting here and gives us the real scoop on Bono's changing or unchanging personality, I will reserve the right to my own opinion. Thanks!

just like my tea, as it comes.
Bono just has cool in the bag imho, throughout all his changing public personas.
If I had to be on a desert island with only one Bono/U2 pic it would be b&w band rehearsal, late 80's. Those were the days.....

Boy era Bono. He was still trying to shake that dorky adolesence, but at the same time he was fiery, emotional, and ready to take on the world. Oh, and I loved the hair.
smile.gif

------------------
I dig my toes into the sand. The ocean looks like a 1,000 diamonds strewn across a blue plain. I lean against the wind, pretend that I am weightless. And in this moment I am happy... happy.

Love,
Emily

I wish you were here.

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
Emily's Wallpapers

This whole categorizing of Bono thing kind of makes me think of Barbie. Next up...

Malibu Bono
Baby-sitter Bono
Outdoor Explorer Bono
Fashion Parade Bono

Um...yeah. Bono is Bono. I just love him, whether he be leather-clad, mirrorball-pants wearing, or long hair sporting. Other dolls sold separately.

------------------
"We're one, but we're not the same..."

http://U2Baby.com

A toss between AB and ATYCLB eras, with perhaps a slight preference to the latter because of the extra maturity and wisdom he's got in his eyes now. Yeah, the whole image thing is pretty superficial, but rock'n'roll wouldn't be anywhere as fun without it.

Zooropa Lemon uniform Bono *double drool*

I like him with the kinda short, full dark hair. It looks good like that now too, like when he met Bush at the White House. Love the suit with no tie look *yum*

I can't believe none of the PLEBA girls have posted pics here. LMAO.

------------------
U2- The Unforgettable Fire still burns!

[This message has been edited by Veranda (edited 04-11-2002).]

Best LOOKS:
Joshua Tree
The Unforgettable Fire
Achtung Baby/Elevation

Best clothes:
Achtung Baby
Joshua Tree
The Unforgettable Fire

Best hair:
Achtung Baby/Elevation- *loveth* dark, shoulder-lenght hair *sigh*
War/Unforgettable Fire- I'm a mullet girl
Joshua Tree- long, luxious mane I want to touch

Best PERSONALITY:
The Unforgettable Fire
War
Elevation

Best VOICE:
Unforgettable Fire
Joshua Tree
Achtung Baby

I like how you broke this up!
biggrin.gif

So I shall do the same.

Best Looks:
  1. JT/R&H - he did look "cool" then
  2. Elevation - very "real" appearance now - and still cool
  3. AB/Zooropa- gotta love "The Fly"!
    wink.gif
    [/list=a]

Best Clothes:
    1. AB/Zooropa - like I said, ya gotta love The Fly!
    2. Elevation - very natural look, yet "professional."
    3. JT/R&H - that "hippy rock star" worked on him.[/list=a]

Best Hair:
      1. JT/R&H - Bono is one of the few men that looks good with long hair (see Fabio for a BAD example).
      2. AB/Zooropa- Still long, but not as "greasy" looking as the JT era. A nice look for him.
      3. Elevation - seems his most natural style.[/list=a]

Best Personality:
        1. Elevation - Bono at his best. He's not preaching to us, he's not being ironic. But he is funny, he is sincere and he's doing a LOT of good for the world, in terms of music and charity.
        2. AB/Zooropa - A very funny personality, although a bit fake and a bit top-heavy with the irony.
        3. JT/R&H - a real personality, but too preachy and "God-like". Not as accessible as the current Bono.[/list=a]

Best Voice:
          1. JT/R&H - Perhaps Bono's best vocal era, especially on R&H - very rich, powerful, passionate vocals.
          2. Elevation - The best Bono's voice has sounded in a decade. Yes, there are some "off nights", but he had them in the JT era too. He hit notes on ATYCLB that I haven't heard him hit in years! Real singing, not screaming. Good stuff!
          3. UF - a bit too much screaming, but finally Bono is on key and sounding good. It was this album that turned me from a person who enjoyed U2 to a fanatic - and it had a lot to do with Bono's vocals. [/list=a]

[This message has been edited by doctorwho (edited 04-11-2002).]

Originally posted by doctorwho:

Best Looks:
  1. JT/R&H - he did look "cool" then
  2. Elevation - very "real" appearance now - and still cool
  3. AB/Zooropa- gotta love "The Fly"!
    wink.gif
    [/list=a]

Best Clothes:
    1. AB/Zooropa - like I said, ya gotta love The Fly!
    2. Elevation - very natural look, yet "professional."
    3. JT/R&H - that "hippy rock star" worked on him.[/list=a]

Best Hair:
      1. JT/R&H - Bono is one of the few men that looks good with long hair (see Fabio for a BAD example).
      2. AB/Zooropa- Still long, but not as "greasy" looking as the JT era. A nice look for him.
      3. Elevation - seems his most natural style.[/list=a]

Best Personality:
        1. Elevation - Bono at his best. He's not preaching to us, he's not being ironic. But he is funny, he is sincere and he's doing a LOT of good for the world, in terms of music and charity.
        2. AB/Zooropa - A very funny personality, although a bit fake and a bit top-heavy with the irony.
        3. JT/R&H - a real personality, but too preachy and "God-like". Not as accessible as the current Bono.[/list=a]

Best Voice:
          1. JT/R&H - Perhaps Bono's best vocal era, especially on R&H - very rich, powerful, passionate vocals.
          2. Elevation - The best Bono's voice has sounded in a decade. Yes, there are some "off nights", but he had them in the JT era too. He hit notes on ATYCLB that I haven't heard him hit in years! Real singing, not screaming. Good stuff!
          3. UF - a bit too much screaming, but finally Bono is on key and sounding good. It was this album that turned me from a person who enjoyed U2 to a fanatic - and it had a lot to do with Bono's vocals. [/list=a]

[This message has been edited by doctorwho (edited 04-11-2002).]

1. Excellent work!
            biggrin.gif
            smile.gif

------------------
            ~"A little out of touch, little insane, just easier than dealin' with the pain!" ~Soul Asylum, "Runaway Train"

Originally posted by doctorwho:

I like how you broke this up!
biggrin.gif

So I shall do the same.

Thank you good doctor! You put a lot of thought into that, and I believe you, like me, have 'known' him long enough to be able to honestly evaluate those categories.
I am glad to see there are those who have noticed, like I have from many years of Bono observing, that his changes are not just superficial, but on the inside too. I like your lists almost as much as I like mine. Everyone should have made one, like a survey.

I think some people should realize that Bono's changes are not just as simple or as 'superficial' as you picking what pair of shoes you're wearing. Bono's changes aren't just clothes and hair but personality, attitude, physical, such as endurance and voice, and everything!

I believe Bono's external and musical changes have coincided with internal changes, personality, point of view, emotional and spiritual changes within him. All of this is reflected in the music he produces and the way he presents himself to the public.

Think about it- would JT Bono ever have shaved his head? I think not! Would UF Bono have french kissed Liam Gallagher, especially in front of a photographer? Would October Bono have worn dark shades, smoked cigars and acted cocky? No way. Would War Bono have hung out in raunchy bars and passed out on bathroom floors? He wouldn't.
Bono has NOT always been 'the same person on the inside' and is NOT superficial or insignificant to notice or care about his looks. The person who started this thread was interested in our varying opinions on that, and whether or not we all admit it everyone has a personal preference. Just admitting that does not diminish your 'love' for 'Bono the person inside.' Sheesh!

Bono's changes in music and look are a part of his changing as a human being. Some of them are beneficial, some are mistakes, like with all of us, but maybe they were all necessary to become the person we turn out to be. What he is now is a very good, real, decent, compassionate, endearing, and yes, HOT guy. I do hope he is settled enough and mature and confident in himself enough now to know he doesn't need any of that funky stuff anymore. He should just be Bono, the man Bono has grown into, and that is a very good thing to be. Until Ali and the other band members come here and start posting about him behind his back, I will stick with my analysis.
wink.gif

Think about it- would JT Bono ever have shaved his head? I think not! Would UF Bono have french kissed Liam Gallagher, especially in front of a photographer? Would October Bono have worn dark shades, smoked cigars and acted cocky? No way. Would War Bono have hung out in raunchy bars and passed out on bathroom floors? He wouldn't.

I noticed you compared the past to the more recent present, so too carry your analogy even further, let's compare the more recent present to the past!
biggrin.gif
Would an ATYCLB Bono crawl up the scaffolding around the stage? Would the ZOO TV Bono carry a white flag? Would the JT Bono wear red "Celebration" pants? Would the ATYCLB Bono give a caustic speech about the problems of the world while presenting no solutions every night in concert like the JT Bono?

Indeed, as Bono has grown, so has his personalities. But this isn't just true for him, it's true for us all. It's just that our personalities aren't on public display like his.
wink.gif

You're right, Doctorwho, all of those things are true too. I thought of another one, would October Bono have worn devil horns, or even the MacPhisto outfit? It could go on and on. Yes you are right, he has changed a lot and so have we all. I know I have. I haven't changed my look or sound, but I have changed a lot on the inside. I was just thinking about that a few months ago. I am the same person, but at the same time I'm not. Sometimes I look back on the person I used to be and I don't like her as much. Still, nothing inside me has ever made me want to cut off my hair or dress weird or become a drunk, but still I know I have changed a lot. All of us have, in some ways. I'm sure a lot of us have changed looks, sounds and personalities, but like you said we are not on public display like him. Thanks for helping me look into this, it's a discussion that goes much deeper than the surface and needed to be explored.

[This message has been edited by Desire4Bono (edited 04-11-2002).]

Okay,
I gotta jump in here. I was content to be thoroughly ENJOYING this conversation (knock it outta PLEBA and things get a little more...volatile
wink.gif
), but I see a vote is missing -- except for maddie! GO GIRL! -- POP Bono! ooowweee.

I didn't see POPmart. However, I've since seen three POPmart shows on video, and, yes -- my initial reaction was WTF?? Not about the show, but about a Bono I'd surely never seen before. The more I've watched him, the more I'm mesmerised by him.

NB: YES, this IS a discussion about persona, about the inside that Bono chooses/is compelled to bring out in a show.

POP Bono is exposed as he had not been before. The tight clothes, the shaved head (which I find VERY sexy on a man who wears long hair more beautifully than most men), and, good Lord, the emotional nakedness... now, I don't know if he was like that at every show, but to take just ISHFWILF (it was very different then) and HMTMKMKM, -- sorrow, bitterness, despair, god, he is such a lost soul! He manages to be both animal and vulnerable. (He's the broken Macphisto without the irony and the whiteface...) I've never seen anything like it.

Except on Elevation, which seems to be its opposite number. Just as transparent, but with joy, rather than alienation.

Diamond -- terrific post. How ya doin', db?

And lest it seem I didn't notice
icon16.gif
- the Fly can have me anytime he wants. (Blame The Macphisto Society.)

Deb D

Y'know, Deb D, there is a reason Pop Bono wasn't on too many lists- this was a list of favorites, and many people do not have him for a favorite. Too many other Bonos are better looking, cooler, and had a better voice and general image. For some, he just didn't rank high on the list. As for me, he is my least favorite and I try to ignore him, and that is putting it very kindly. It's better to just leave him off the list than to say something rude.
wink.gif
I haven't talleyed the votes, but to me it looks like The Fly wins. The Fly is hot, and cool, but he will never top gorgeous, sexy, long haired, leather vest and boots wearing JT Bono for me.
smile.gif

------------------
~Burned by the fire of love~

Back
Top Bottom