What is Vertigo's closest past musical cousin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vertigo's Closest Cousin is...

• I Will Follow

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • Out of Control

Votes: 9 10.3%
  • Gloria

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Fire

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Sunday Bloody Sunday

• New Year's Day

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wire

Votes: 4 4.6%
  • Indian Summer Sky

• Where the Streets Have No Name

• Bullet the Blue Sky

• Exit

• Silver and Gold

• Zoo Station

• Until the End of the World

• The Fly

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Zooropa

• Do You Feel Loved

• Mofo

• Last Night on Earth

• Gone

• Beautiful Day

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Elevation

Votes: 27 31.0%
  • New York

• Other (please state)

Votes: 8 9.2%

• Total voters

DaveC

Blue Crack Addict
Vote in the poll. We'll find out what everyone thinks the true "closest cousins" are to the new songs, seeing as everyone has been making comparisons left right and center.

Ok, whoever voted for "Other (please state)" obviously doesn't know how to read. "Please state" means TELL US WHAT YOU MEAN BY AN OTHER SONG! We aren't mind readers!!

:sigh:

Was this pretty much a random list? I really don't see very much at all on there I'd call Vertigo's cousin IMO. I don't see any connection whatsoever to some songs (Indian Summer Sky, Silver and Gold..ect)

I think Vertigo's closest cousin is Discotheque. Thematically, they flow quite well together.

DaveC said:
Ok, whoever voted for "Other (please state)" obviously doesn't know how to read. "Please state" means TELL US WHAT YOU MEAN BY AN OTHER SONG! We aren't mind readers!!

:sigh:

I can read quite well actually, no need to be an ass!:madspit: I was taking time to actually write what I thought! Patience!

This list is ones that are similar in tempo (quick-tempo), or those that I've heard people make comparisons to when referring to Vertigo in the past.

I Will Follow

I think. I do not possess any musicality at all but Vertigo kinda reminds me of I Will Follow but not quite as fresh.

It has a different era feel about it to me. It actually reminds me a little bit of the late 70s, in a generic fashion.

I Will Follow - I associated Vertigo with this song the first time I heard it. Vertigo picks up the spirit of punk music, so much present in U2's earliest material and catalyses it through a contemporary filter.

On later thoughts...maybe it's the initial countoff... :p

Last edited:
I am surprised at how DaveC missed

"In Gods Country"

Listen both "Vertigo" and "In gods country" with high bass ( they have similar bass line) and find out the similarities.

The pace of the song is same - and both are short songs...it has the same tempo....

Last edited:
I voted for UTEOTW. Its got that half party song/half religious song feeling about like Vertigo does.

AcrobatMan said:
I am surprised at how DaveC missed

"In Gods Country"

Listen both "Vertigo" and "In gods country" with high bass ( they have similar bass line) and find out the similarities.

The pace of the song is same - and both are short songs...it has the same tempo....

Great point. Now that you mention it, Vertigo does remind me of IGC.

Elevation-great openers for concert but in the same time pretty stupid song when it comes to lyrics:
E-LE-VA-TI-ON uuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhh
Vertigo-teach me hoooooooooooooooow, how to kneel(or whatever)

I voted for Zoo Station. The guitar "solo" before the All Of This part totally reminds me of that.

Back
Top Bottom