What is U2's greatest achievement so far?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Whitty

Babyface
U2, as a band, has so many milestones in its career. But what is their greatest achievement? Is it Live Aid? Is it The Joshua Tree? Is it Achtung Baby? Perhaps the fact they stayed together following the 'tense' sessions of Achtung Baby? Their longevity? The great songs they've written? So many questions, but what's YOUR answer? What do YOU think?!

I would have to say that THEY are their greatest achievement. I mean, that they've been able to stay together this long, stay friends, and stay true to themselves.

------------------
"We're one, but we're not the same..."

http://U2Baby.com

Originally posted by wertsie:
I would have to say that THEY are their greatest achievement. I mean, that they've been able to stay together this long, stay friends, and stay true to themselves.

lol! That's exactly what I was going to say.

------------------
"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

Wow...We must all be psychically connected tonight or something!

Anyway, I also wanted to elaborate a little more on what I said. I've seen movies like Almost Famous and Rock Star and, while they're about fictional bands, they show a lot of the stuff that can mess up a potentially really good band. I mean, egos can get in the way, and if everybody isn't truly happy with where they are in the band, things get screwed up really fast. I admire the guys for being able to keep plugging away. I'm sure there have been many times where they've felt like killing each other, but they always work it out. It would be so easy to just throw in the towel, but they don't. They'll always have my admiration for that!

------------------
"We're one, but we're not the same..."

http://U2Baby.com

the only band relevant in 3 decades commercially, artistically + live

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

I have to say that staying relevant in the rock and roll industry for over 20 years, which is an unprecendented feat, is by far their greatest accomplishment.

------------------
Live As If You'll Die Tomorrow, Dream As If You'll Live Forever

their enduring blend of heart and mind and fun and intelligence and sweet sweet music.
they make it look easy
it's not

Same here. This kind of loyalty is quite unbelievable in the business where the bands are wrecked by the conflicting egos (although it must be said that quite many bands prospered creatively -because- of the member rivalries).

"We have a GIANT ego, but it's the one we share." - Bono on MuchMusic, 2001

Hmmmm, on one hand their longevitiy and all the different things they tried out musically.
On the other hand, all the charity work they have done.

Also, like wertsie pointed out, the fact they stayed together for so long in a business that has addictions, suicides, break-ups of bands... not only that, they remain friends (which IMO is why the band has been going on for all this time), realising that the whole is more important than any of the four parts.

ps: One of the things i also admire most about them is that they stayed normal and humble and not let the fame get into their heads too much.

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 04-13-2002).]

That's what I wanted to say too, that being a band that has achieved greatness and longevity while remaining together is an accomplishment no one else has ever done. They are still good, still popular, and still together after so many years. If you have ever watched Behind the Music, or just know the stories of most bands you know how incredible that is. They have the same band members and the same manager! No one has died, left, been fired, been thrown out of the bus or sued anyone. There have been no money problems, or drug addiction, or other typical problems of rock stars. Hey, Bono even still has his original wife! None of them have run through flashy models like trading in cars *chokecoughrodstewart* or cheated on their women, and no groupies!

With their latest album and tour, their position in history and the rock and roll firmament of immortality is now secure. They are legends now and will live forever among the greats. They have earned this honor. That is of course their greatest accomplishment, but of course it was done by 4 amazing guys and awesome music. They deserve it.

------------------
"I've been all over,
and it's been all over me!"

Back
Top Bottom