What Is U2's Best Live Acoustic Song?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It was technically done with an electric guitar, just with a slower tempo and without distortion. We don't really have a better term for these stripped down electric songs, though. MTV Unplugged calls everything unplugged even when it isn't (the most famous show, Nirvana's, was played on an electroacoustic even), so I don't think it's worth distinguishing much more except for guitar pedants. And hey, if you want to get literal, it's all "acoustic."

I agree that the song usually brought the momentum of the show to a halt, but the Albany performance stands out in my mind as pretty cool for some reason. Bono tagged on a bit of "Not Fade Away" before bursting into "Gloria," and the band wrapped it up before the improv section got too long and boring (like the Boston jam that got cut out of the DVD).

I thought it sounded great at the Mexico City PopMart show, though (which was on an acoustic guitar). It's funny how the acoustic set worked so much better on the two big nineties media overload stadium tours than on Elevation.

(Edit: Too slow, I lose.)

I personally love it when U2 strips it down to acoustic versions. My favorites:

ZooTV-- ISHFWILF, Angel of Harlem, When Love Comes To Town and Dancing Queen were all awesome

Popmart-- Staring at the Sun--sure a full band would have been awesome, but I find the acoustic version gorgeous, unlike it's performance during the Elevation Tour which was piss poor. Desire works best acoustically when it's played with 2 guitars as Bono and Edge did.

ATYCLB Era-- Stay was beautiful. TGBHF at San Remo is one of Bono's best vocals ever.

Vertigo Tour- Yahweh is gorgeous. I'd love to hear this song played full band, but as of right now it seems to be one of the most powerful moments of the show.

2 songs that people often call acoustic that are anything but: Elevation Desire and Popmart Sunday Bloody Sunday. Just because they're stripped down, slowed down doesn't make them acoustic. The only acoustic instrument used on Elevation Desire was the drum.

Back
Top Bottom