What is the most "mellow" U2 album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not counting Passengers so I'll say Zooropa. I think the whole tone and attitude in the songs and also the way the album was created - a side project during the tour - lends itself to being pretty mellow.

UF has WAAAAAAY to much emotion to be the most "mellow". Pride, Bad, Wire, Promenade......mellow?!?!? What UF are you listening to?

U2_Guy said:

This Jick isn't a serious fellow is he? "Raw guitars on Elevation and Walk On"?? Hehehehe...

Are you sure did you listen to the album named Pop, released in 1997, by U2? Maybe you missed that one. There's still time to buy it. Run for the CD store and buy this precious.

I think you actually think that ATYCLB is the record called Pop. And vice-versa. That's why you like ATYCLB so much and hate Pop so much. Maybe you changed the cover inserts?

Quite a commendable attempt at humor. But as I said many times, it is not a bad thing that POP is U2's mellowest album to date. As a matter of fact, it is one of the few redeeming values of that album that makes it listenable. I think U2 should make more mellow albums (although they should finish it this time!) and I have a feeling HTDAAB might be the ultimate U2 mellow album we have all been waiting for (although Vertigo is anything but mellow, the other ten songs could be).

Cheers,

J

Simply, the most 'mellow' U2 album is Zooropa.:wink:

While UF is my alltime favorite U2 album, there is a lot of frustration and melancholy in it (especially in songs like "Wire", "Bad" and even "Unforgettable Fire").

Zooropa just oozes "cool" - from "Lemon" to "Numb" to "Stay" to "Zooropa" and more.

It's one of U2's most underrated albums and one of my favorites.

SOME DAYS ARE BETTER THAN OTHERS....:hug:

dARKSTAr64 said:

My hope is that one this next tour we will have the A-Bomb Trio:

Vertigo->Seconds->The Unforgettable Fire!

Now how cool would that be?

That would be the best. I agree hearing The Unforgettable Fire Live gave me goosebumps.

My Vote here is The Unforgettable Fire.

I'm goin with UF. JT would get consideration if not for Bullet The Blue Sky....that song just throws mellowness out the window. Also, Exit begins mellow enough, but we all know it doesn't finish that way.

And props to windmill for the comments on Mothers of the Disappered. That song chokes me up every single time I listen, no matter how many times it's been.

I don't think that any of the U2 albums is mellow - most deal with insatisfaction, internal quests and at times with a tormented view of life, even if at times the music may be soft and calm. The album that in my view may approximate the idea of mellowness is ATYCLB - lyrics show a more serene outlook of life and many songs are sort of calm - though the likes of Elevation can't be exactly called mellow.

jick said:

Quite a commendable attempt at humor. But as I said many times, it is not a bad thing that POP is U2's mellowest album to date. As a matter of fact, it is one of the few redeeming values of that album that makes it listenable. I think U2 should make more mellow albums (although they should finish it this time!) and I have a feeling HTDAAB might be the ultimate U2 mellow album we have all been waiting for (although Vertigo is anything but mellow, the other ten songs could be).

Cheers,

J

J, Didn't you go through a phase a few years ago where you actually started praising Pop, after previously damning it? Whats happened in the intervening few years for you to change your mind again?

Back
Top Bottom